PDA

View Full Version : You might want to keep an eye out tonight... [Feb 5 2007]

Mark Goldhaber
02-05-2007, 03:51 PM
A little bird told me a short while ago that people might want to surf around to particular sites around midnight PST tonight to see some interesting changes.... ;)

Drince88
02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for putting the time zone in. I guess I'll check it out when I get up in the morning (SOME of us East of the Mississippi need more than 4 hours of sleep a night!):fez:

Mark Goldhaber
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
It just might be up by the time that we finish recording the podcast.... ;) :eek:

cxcelica
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the tip and posting the time zone, I will have to check it out tomorrow!

dsnyredhead
02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
It just loaded up on my computer....Looks good.

Opus1guy
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry...I'm missing the boat here and have no idea what everyone is refering to. Anyone care to help out an old alter boy? :)

dsnyredhead
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
go to www.disney.com

Mark Goldhaber
02-05-2007, 11:34 PM
It just might be up by the time that we finish recording the podcast.... ;) :eek:
And it appears that I was right. I'll have to look at it in the morning.

A big thanks to the little bird....

yellowrosedtxn
02-06-2007, 05:21 AM
I would love to see it, but unfortunately I am on an AF base and they are blocking the site. I will try to remember to look tonight when I get home. If anyone wants to let me in on the secret, I would appreciate it!

Shelley

olegc
02-06-2007, 06:57 AM
one thing i don't like is the immediate video streaming. they do this with espn and it's either a problem at work or makes the loading slow. the assumption that everyone has broadband everywhere as a default has always been an issue with media and sw companies (i worked for netscape so i know).

Darkbeer
02-06-2007, 08:29 AM
The LA Times is up to date, from Today's Paper...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/business/la-fi-disney6feb06,1,157896.story?coll=la-headlines-business-enter

Disney yet to refresh website as promised

cxcelica
02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
one thing i don't like is the immediate video streaming. they do this with espn and it's either a problem at work or makes the loading slow. the assumption that everyone has broadband everywhere as a default has always been an issue with media and sw companies (i worked for netscape so i know).

You are right Oleg. I have DSL but I can imagine that this is a killer for those using dial up. The same thing happened with the cable where I am. Its just assumed that every user has digital cable, and it seems that the attitude if you dont have digital cable is "oh well you have to get with the times". For example if you have basic cable you dont have access to any pay per view movie channels or pay per view events, so you are out of luck if you wanted to order a movie. I guess its a method of forcing people to upgrade and pay more.

yellowrosedtxn
02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
You are right Oleg. I have DSL but I can imagine that this is a killer for those using dial up. The same thing happened with the cable where I am. Its just assumed that every user has digital cable, and it seems that the attitude if you dont have digital cable is "oh well you have to get with the times". For example if you have basic cable you dont have access to any pay per view movie channels or pay per view events, so you are out of luck if you wanted to order a movie. I guess its a method of forcing people to upgrade and pay more.

The problem is I live in the country and we don't have DSL yet. I am fortunate enough to have satellite access so that does help some, but I would like to get the DSL eventually. Sats go down when the weather is bad.

Shelley

stan4d_steph
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Yep, it's blocked at my work.

Opus1guy
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the assist dsnyredhead! :)

Takes some time to load even with a 6mb DSL connection. Bloated. Slow. Must be still using those ancient Go Network servers.

I would hope the site would "detect" dial-up connections and redirect to a much "lighter" page. Otherwise this thing will be impossible for folks with dial-up internet.

The thing I hate most are the Park sites. Lots of flash and pageantry...but very hard to find the simple "facts" that you're looking for. Content should be much deeper. Needs more details about things. Someone wanting to look at say Menus with prices from each restaurant should be able to easily do that on the web site.

IMHO.

Mark Goldhaber
02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Boy, it seriously does NOT seem to like Firefox.... :mad:

TiggerRPh
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
And it appears that I was right. I'll have to look at it in the morning.

A big thanks to the little bird....
In my opinion....I wasn't impressed. The added a lot of Flash video and it looks nicer but functionally it didn't do anything for me.

The "content" if you want to call it that was added is all video and games...which I very seldom am interested in.

The WDW pages looked unchanged after you got past the opening page.

A cleaner more navitigatable site would have been my preference.

TiggerRPh
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Boy, it seriously does NOT seem to like Firefox.... :mad:

I had no problem with it using Firefox....I just don't like it.

cxcelica
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
The site is definitely better, but the lack of change in the resorts and parks section is disappointing, especially since this area was so desperately in need of an improvement. It is still difficult to navigate and really not a great source of information.

Hopefully over the next few months the site will be updated and further improved.

Janie
02-09-2007, 05:09 PM

http://home.disney.go.com/lite/

Somewhat less graphics intensive.

crrees
02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
works in firefox, hope you arent still havin troubles Mark

Mark Goldhaber
02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
works in firefox, hope you arent still havin troubles Mark
Try this. Go to the Disney Fans page, and scroll down just a little, then try to click on "Visit" or one of the other section heads. Does it work for you? The hotspots are way off for me.