PDA

View Full Version : February 4 - Trip Report

raediance
02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Super Bowl Sunday was not spent watching the Super Bowl in our family. Instead, we spent our day at the happiest place on earth. Super Bowl...Happiest Place on Earth...which would you choose? One sounds like a really big soup entree, and the other sounds...like the happiest place on earth. lol.
We went to church at 9:00 and then left for the DL Resort around 12:00. We got to the parking structure around 12:30/12:40. The lines to pay were soo long. Someone's car broke down along the way, so maybe that held it up a little. We got through and parked in Donald. Lots of empty parking spaces.
Tram lines were also very long. The elevator line was enormous, and there were actually lines for the escalator. I was expecting a very crowded day.
We got on the tram and decided to go to DCA first, because the DL was way too long for the surprisingly nice heat. We got in, got FastPasses for GRR, and found a way to spend our time. I'd never been to the Tortilla or Sourdough Bread factory, so we did that. I must say, I would have spent the whole day getting free food. x) It was pretty cool.
Then we went to Paradise Pier and watched two of the members of our party ride Maliboomer. We went to get Ice Cream but the machine was broken, so that was a no go.
Okay, get this, we ran into someone!! In all the crowds, we actually ran into my cousin. I was so surprised. I bought a headband (brown with white polka dots, if you want to know. =]) at that store right next to Maliboomer. Then we waited in line for Sun Wheel because we didn't know what else to do. It was my first time riding in a non-swinging gondola. It was okay, I guess. Sort of boring.
By then it was time for GRR. Fun, of course. It felt much rockier than last time I went. A few people didn't want to go so a few of us went on twice.
Then we left for DL after grabbing some soda and churros.
First thing we did was...oh my goodness, can't remember. It was only, like, two hours ago...
Ugh. I hate it when I can't remember.
Okay, I think this is how it went (I had to consult my list of attractions first. x)). We got fastpasses for BTMR. While waiting we checked out the Disney Gallery for the first time. It was pretty cool. We stood out on the balcony and admired the view. I heard about being able to watch Fantasmic! from there, so one of us asked. 59 bucks per person, including a whole meal and stuff. Pretty rad. But you had to reserve 30 days in advanced. Next time. =]
Then we went to Tarzan's tree house. It's changed since I last went on it about 5 years ago. x) The tiger/lion type animal freaked me out. And the stairs were making my legs hurt. But it was pretty rad.
So I went on BTMR for the first time ever, well, for me at least. A few of the other people had gone on it. Let me just say, after, my head hurt like heck. x) But it was funnnnn!!
We finished off with Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and to my unhappiness, Snow White's Scary Adventures. I hate that ride. I'm a scaredy cat. And it had the word 'SCARY' in it. Duh.
I think we lost a few easy points when I refused to ride it during MouseAdventure. I'm a whimp. x)
Then we ate dinner at that place where the tables are in front of Fantasmic. Can't remember the title.
And now I'm home. x) Fun day.
Crowds were actually not too bad. The lines were intimidating, though. =]

SeansMom
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you had fun, and I'm with you, WAY better than the Super Bowl (which, as you pointed out, does sound more like a gigantic bowl of soup than a football game. What's up with that?) Thanks for sharing!

yohomama212
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_bowl) :

The Super Bowl was created as part of the merger agreement between the National Football League (NFL) and its rival, the American Football League (AFL). After its inception in 1920, the NFL fended off several rival leagues before the AFL began play in 1960. The intense competitive war for players and fans led to serious merger talks between the two leagues in 1966, culminating in a merger announcement on June 8, 1966.

One of the conditions of the AFL-NFL Merger was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". According to NFL Films President Steve Sabol, then NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle wanted to call the game "The Big One". [citation needed] During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl." Hunt thought of the name after seeing his kids playing with a toy called a Super Ball.[2] The ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was consistent with postseason college football games which had long been known as "bowl games" (the term originates from the Rose Bowl Game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played). Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found.

Liz :cool:

mgg1234
02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
We were there both days this weekend. Saturday was light, and although the lines were long at the gate, we didn't think it was that crowded inside. There was no line for Riverbelle Terrace for breakfast, and we walked onto BTMRR twice in less than 10 minutes.

I credit it mostly to there not being any events at the Convention Center this weekend. Gorgeous weather and it was a great trip.

raediance
02-05-2007, 09:20 PM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_bowl) :

Liz :cool:
lol! thanks for that. =] i think i have a few super balls rolling under my bed. x)

mgg1234, that sounds like you had a great day! =] the lines were way to long for us to not get a fast pass for btmrr on sunday.

seansmom, when i went to school today only one person asked if anyone else had seen the superbowl. and everyone was like "uh...no." lol. x)

super bowl also reminds me of a vietnamese (sp?) restraunt or something. =]
lol.

DisneyPrincessCat
02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Sounds like a great day, We rode Snow White last week when we were there, it actually was our very last ride on our very last day at 15 minutes before closing. I would rather have ended with soarin' but CA closed earlier and Snow White had NO line. It IS Scary, even hubby and I were surprised at the scenes and the witch everywhere. I don't know if I would take small children on it. I had forgotten, since it has been over 30 yrs since I rode that particular ride. We try to pick at least one Fantasyland ride each trip, because the lines are longer there and we don't have children. I did NOT watch the stupor bowl either. I read threads here and checked out pinpics and Dizpins and am now waiting for the Fed Ex dude to bring me my treasures we bought last week and shipped home. Since they had all new stuff on the shelves since Christmas it was buy, buy, buy time. I always have to get the new pins and tee shirts and zip sweat shirts, so now I am waiting. I wish I lived close enough to go every day!!!!! :D So does hubby, we would not buy so much stuff if we lived there and could go ALL the time! HAHAHA!!!!
Glad you had a good time, I always live vicariously through everyone's TR's til we can go again...our next trip will be March for 4 days so we get the 150 dollar gift card deal!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing so I can be there once again in my mind!:)
sues and NerdPirateRalphy (DH)

raediance
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
your welcome! i like posting about my trips. it's like a journal. x)
i'd rather ride peter pan's flight thingy in Fantasy land, but the lines are too long and the ride is too short. =]