PDA

View Full Version : Ever go without your kids?

Pages : [1] 2

derraj25
02-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Do you ever go to the DLR without your children? We always go in the fall with the whole family, and just the two of us in the winter/spring.

yohomama212
02-04-2007, 05:08 PM
I guess it would be a bit different for us than some of the other people as we're AP holders. DH and I went for our anniversary, sans children. I'm sure there will be other times we'll go alone. I want to go for Valentines, but DH is against that (he's just not as geeky as I am in the Disney areas yet).

Liz :cool:

derraj25
02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
The biggest reason we do this is to experience the things that just don't appeal to our kids. I am sure this will end as the kids get older and they can take off on their own, but with them being young, this just works better.

--d2

Wendi
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Do you ever go to the DLR without your children? We always go in the fall with the whole family, and just the two of us in the winter/spring.

I just did it Thursday and Friday. I had planned on bringing Max, but he opted to stay at Grandma's house... I'm pretty sure it had something to do with her new dog... 5-year-olds are nuts! hahaha

rentayenta
02-04-2007, 07:09 PM

I have gone without my family and thus far it has not been nearly as enjoyable to me without them. DH would never go without the kids. Disney is the kids to him and he's not nearly the Disney fool that I am.

I am planning a tentative trip with just friends in May for 2 nights. This will be my last attempt without the kids and I am planning on a wonderful trip! I am going with great friends and I think they'll keep me so busy that I won't have a chance to miss the kiddos.

hlbtimes2
02-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I went last May with my two best friends. It was the first time since having kids that I went without them. Dh and I made many trips together before we had them. It was different going without them, but very enjoyable. It was nice to not have to worry about them getting lost, being hungry, having to go potty just as you reach the front of the line, etc. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

just beatla33
02-05-2007, 10:51 AM
all the time

backsthepack
02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Nope. Wouldn't be an option for us. My husband is not a Disney nut. He goes because my son and I love going. We did go once before our son was born (my husbands first visit there ever). We have been 12 times since he was born (he is 7). I cannot imagine being there without my child. I love seeing everything through his eyes. It just wouldn't be the same for me without him there.

mad4mky
02-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Yep.

I try to go at least once a year without my kids. Sometimes, that doesn't happen...but I try to.

I have even gone on the Disney Cruise and WDW without my girls. :D
(but, we had so much fun...that we just HAD to take them the next year!) :)

I have gone to DL Paris with only one of my 3 girls as well.

I love my trips to DL with the girls. But, I have a lot of fun without them. It's not 'more' fun. Just a different kind of fun. :D

lisap
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Yes, yes, yes. It's awesome.;) Like Peggy said, it's a different kind of fun. I don't do it all the time, but it's nice to go for a visit as a date night or afternoon. I even like going by myself, but I usually end up shopping for the family.:rolleyes:

wabby1
02-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I was in San Diego on business about 5 years ago....was there over a weekend, so I drove my rental car up I-5 to Disneyland! One of the best times I've had there....all by myself. Stayed all day until closing. Had a great time. There's nothing that beats going with little children to see their reaction, however.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
02-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep.

I love my trips to DL with the girls. But, I have a lot of fun without them. It's not 'more' fun. Just a different kind of fun. :D

I completely agree! I love planning a trip for all 3 DDs and DH and me, but the girls are still pretty young (3, 5 & 7) so there are lots of things we don't get to do in order to ride all their rides, see the shows, do character meals, etc. DH has no desire to go to Disneyland without the kids, so every other year I go for a day or two with my girlfriends. We have a wonderful time because we do things we normally don't get to do with our families--follow the college all-star band around, go on tours, go into every shop on Main Street, not even step foot into Toon Town, and stay in the park from rope drop to closing. I can honestly say that I have an amazing time--and I really look forward to bringing the whole family, too. This year my friend and I are going on May 4 and the family will be going the week after Thanksgiving so they can see the park dressed up for the holidays.

Katlovett
02-06-2007, 10:29 AM
The only times I went to Disneyland without my kids was before they were born.

Katprint

shna
02-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Yup -- I enjoy going to DLR with just my husband. We have APs -- took our daughter for the first time for Halloween. I'm trying to work out plans to get her there once more before her 3rd birthday, and to have a day there with just hubby. If it all works according to my plan, I'll be going once at the end of February, and once at the beginning of March. :D

MrsPooh
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
The only times I went to Disneyland without my kids was before they were born.

That was me, but I was just invited to Club 33 with friends, and we are going as 4 adults this time. I. Cannot. Wait. :D

Piglet is pretty mad at me, but we will go again this summer, and we will take him.

MouseWife
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh yes. :D

Our two older children are old enough to go on their own, and they do. We have a 12 year old who we take with us.

But, sometimes we do get away alone. I did go up once with my sister and that was a blast. That was when I realized it was okay to go without the kids and how different it is.

I have never taken being a parent lightly. So, yes, when the kids are with me I am always sure everyone is alright: fed, potty breaks, had enough to drink, rested, etc. Is this relaxing? Not really. Is it a pleasure? Definitely!

Well. Without kids? A group of adults will go to the bathroom when they need to. A plus. A group of adults will find something delicious to eat at the same place and enjoy it. A tired adult can sit at a park bench and no hard feelings or worries about leaving them there.

I don't want the Boy to get tired of Disneyland. He says he isn't and we've gone a lot recently so that is good. He says he doesn't mind if we go without him. If he isn't in school, he goes.

Plus, on one hand, it shows them that it is okay to do things apart. As the kids get older they will want to and you wouldn't want them to feel guilty, would you? ;)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Since the kids were born, I have been 3 times without them. Like other posters said, it is not more fun without the kids, just a different kind of fun. I went on 5/5/05 with Wendi from this board, DH and I went 1 day, and then I went alone last fall. The trip alone was a different kind of fun too, than going without kids. I had to worry about noone but myself, ate and rode what I wanted, shopped when I wanted etc. I am hoping to have a trip each year without kids, even if it is just for 1 day.
My DH on the other hand, would rather not go without the kids. Honestly he would rather not go at all. LOL He had never been to DLR until we met. He goes because our 5yo wants him to. The day that he and I went alone, after the kids were born, I went to work with him and he let me pick where we were going for his day off, as if he even had to ask, since the overnight was in Burbank. hehe

Barbossa
02-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Only once, it was our Anniversary in 2005. We stayed at GCH and dined at Club 33.

We're going to DLR and C33 again in a few months. Sans kids. Ohhhhh yeahhhh! :D

jcruise86
02-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh yes. :D

Our two older children are old enough to go on their own, and they do. We have a 12 year old who we take with us.

But, sometimes we do get away alone. I did go up once with my sister and that was a blast. That was when I realized it was okay to go without the kids and how different it is.

I have never taken being a parent lightly. So, yes, when the kids are with me I am always sure everyone is alright: fed, potty breaks, had enough to drink, rested, etc. Is this relaxing? Not really. Is it a pleasure? Definitely!

Well. Without kids? A group of adults will go to the bathroom when they need to. A plus. A group of adults will find something delicious to eat at the same place and enjoy it. A tired adult can sit at a park bench and no hard feelings or worries about leaving them there.

I don't want the Boy to get tired of Disneyland. He says he isn't and we've gone a lot recently so that is good. He says he doesn't mind if we go without him. If he isn't in school, he goes.

Plus, on one hand, it shows them that it is okay to do things apart. As the kids get older they will want to and you wouldn't want them to feel guilty, would you? ;)
That sounds good, MouseWife! I'm going to take my wife the next time we get a babysitter and it's my turn to determine the date. (She picks the next one.) I plan on going on the Haunted Mansion and taking in lots of live entertainment. We'll follow Cruella around Main Street and see the Aladdin show in DCA. We're in Pasadena (40-45 minutes away) so our toddler won't know where we were for a few hours.

MouseWife
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
That sounds good, MouseWife! I'm going to take my wife the next time we get a babysitter and it's my turn to determine the date. (She picks the next one.) I plan on going on the Haunted Mansion and taking in lots of live entertainment. We'll follow Cruella around Main Street and see the Aladdin show in DCA. We're in Pasadena (40-45 minutes away) so our toddler won't know where we were for a few hours.

Oh,do have fun!! Take a lot of pictures!!! Hamming it up. Nothing more special for kids than parents who get to play now and again, too. ;)

zombie pirate
02-07-2007, 04:56 AM
I would never be forgiven.:cool:

TinaMouse
02-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Been twice w/o kids. Last visit, hubby was on a business trip. We spent evenings together at the parks, but I spent the whole day there by myself!!! It was different, but really,really nice. No compromising on where to shop, eat, play. Just did WHATEVER I wanted, WHENEVER I wanted. I liked it so much, I could certainly see doing it again sometime!

I did notice that as a party of "one" I was whisked to the front of many lines, including Soarin' and Tower of Terror. Got the primo seat on TOT--front row, center! Great picture!

Stupid_American
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
I never bring any kids.
There's already plenty!

jMom
02-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, I go by myself, from time to time. Husband is not the big Disney nut that I am. I have an AP so sneaking in for a couple of part-day visits is an option, novel, and quite fun.

That said, I prefer to go more with the kids, especially as they are young right now.

donduckuno
02-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Yes, try it without kids.... it maybe frightening to your kids to see you really let your hair down and be goofy. I have done it numerous times over the years w/o kids, LOTS of fun!