PDA

View Full Version : Where can we get married and how in Anaheim?

JustMe29
02-04-2007, 02:08 AM
I don't have the money to get married in Disneyland.

Do any of you locals know where there is a little chapel or something like that that I could contact?

Would love to get married while we're overseas....

Thanks

mickeyxminnie
02-04-2007, 03:01 AM
ok you totally have no idea how much your are reminding me of us right now haha

its bizzare(sp)

JustMe29
02-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Do you have msn

I'm tuppachik@hotmail.com

Katlovett
02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
You will need to purchase a marriage license from the Orange County Recorder's Office for $61.50. You can do this online. After you purchase the marriage license, you can have a civil nonsectarian wedding ceremony performed by a Deputy Commissioner of Marriage at the Old Courthouse (in Santa Ana, I think) for $28. See the link below for further details.

http://www.oc.ca.gov/recorder/marlicen.htm

Katprint

nightdesigns
02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
If you don't mind about a 3 1/2 hour drive, Vegas is my recommendation =).

Where else in the world are the hours of the courthouse for marriages from 8am Friday until 11pm Monday? That's right, they're open, non-stop, all weekend =).

tod
02-04-2007, 01:17 PM

Where else in the world are the hours of the courthouse for marriages from 8am Friday until 11pm Monday? That's right, they're open, non-stop, all weekend =).

Not any more (http://www.co.clark.nv.us/CLERK/Marriage_Information.htm). The Marriage License bureau used to be open all weekend, but if you want to get hitched in Las Vegas now, you have to make up your mind before midnight, and the civil-ceremony office closes at 10.

Once you have your Marriage License, there are plenty of places (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=las+vegas+wedding&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8) to get married, and you can certainly find one that's open all night if you want to get married in the wee hours. There are drive-thru places that you don't even need to get out of your car, even.

--t

Opus1guy
02-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Man...you must drive fast! Usually takes me about 5 hours from Los Angeles.

yohomama212
02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Is it just you and you SO? Or are you planning on having full wedding ceremony? DH and I got married in a beautiful chapel in Santa Ana (about 10 mi from DL). I can send a couple pics if you're interested. It's nice for either a small group or a large ceremony (we had about 100 guests, the chapel can hold up to 180). You could geek it out completely and invite all your MP pals and decorate from top to bottom in your Disney dream! But that's just my two cents!

Liz :cool:

nightdesigns
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Man...you must drive fast! Usually takes me about 5 hours from Los Angeles.

260 miles, 75 mph on average, 3.46 hours. I wouldn't say that's overly fast. And I usually get passed by at least 1 truck when I'm doing 80 on every trip.:p

JustMe29
02-05-2007, 01:06 AM
It would just be myself and my partner and my daughter aged 6. Nothing fancy - not jeans, but not gowns. Simple ceremony would suit.

Katlovett
02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
It would just be myself and my partner and my daughter aged 6. Nothing fancy - not jeans, but not gowns. Simple ceremony would suit.

By partner, do you mean your "fiance"? Of a gender different than yours? If you are not a man and a woman, you cannot get married in California despite the Mayor of San Francisco's hijinks a few years ago.

In California, same-sex partners can register for a Domestic Partnership / Civil Union even though they cannot officially "marry." The State of California website with further details may be found here: http://www.ss.ca.gov/dpregistry/

A link to "Churches that will host your gay wedding" in Orange County, California, may be found here (about halfway down the page): http://www.ocweekly.com/features/best-of-oc/best-of-oc-2004-part-4/19500/

Katprint

Drince88
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
I met some people from New Zealand while vacationing, and ended up spending a bit of time with them - 'partner' is the preferred term, as spouse/husband/wife has socially negative connotations with it. It is not used strictly by same-sex couples, as we tend to use it in the U.S. I'm guessing that Australia would be similar.

Katlovett
02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I met some people from New Zealand while vacationing, and ended up spending a bit of time with them - 'partner' is the preferred term, as spouse/husband/wife has socially negative connotations with it. It is not used strictly by same-sex couples, as we tend to use it in the U.S. I'm guessing that Australia would be similar.

I didn't mean to be negative and I am somewhat surprised to hear that married people cannot refer to their spouse/husband/wife without socially negative connotations.

In San Francisco Bay area where I live, "partner" has a mild same-sex connotation similar to "fabulous." But I agree with you that "partner" is not strictly same-sex like "gay" (which used to mean festive or brightly colored but I wouldn't use it for that meaning anymore.) I was just trying to help provide additional relevant info for the OP or for any same-sex couples reading this thread who might want a ceremony here in comparatively-tolerant California.

Katprint

JustMe29
02-05-2007, 11:35 PM
How funny that the word partner conjures up same sex thoughts.

No it's definitely a man for me ;)

I say partner because he's not my husband and he's not my fiance either. We're in our 30s and been living together for 4 years so boyfriend sounds childish to me.

What do you say in the US?

geoffa
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
In California, same-sex partners can register for a Domestic Partnership / Civil Union even though they cannot officially "marry." The State of California website with further details may be found here: http://www.ss.ca.gov/dpregistry/

Katprint

Just to muddy the water over here in the U.K. same sex couples can take a "Civil Partnership" which is legally recognised throughout the European Union.
Whilst it is not a marriage it gives the same legal rights - pensions, mortgages, next of kin, inheritance rights etc.
Thus I proudly :) call my partner -"my partner".

Katlovett
02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Just to muddy the water over here in the U.K. same sex couples can take a "Civil Partnership" which is legally recognised throughout the European Union.
Whilst it is not a marriage it gives the same legal rights - pensions, mortgages, next of kin, inheritance rights etc.
Thus I proudly :) call my partner -"my partner".

Good for you! Although my lesbian friends have no problem referring to their "wife." (None of my gay male friends are in an official partnership so I don't personally know what they would call their spouse if they had one; Miss Manners said a week or two ago that both men are the "husband".)

I think that when California adopted its "Domestic Partnership" laws then that contributed to the same-sex connotation of "partner." Also you used to hear terms like "Lesbian Life Partner" which would be shortened to "partner."

But I am a fierce defender of free speech. Call your mate whatever you like!

Katprint

jMom
02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
How funny that the word partner conjures up same sex thoughts.

No it's definitely a man for me ;)

I say partner because he's not my husband and he's not my fiance either. We're in our 30s and been living together for 4 years so boyfriend sounds childish to me.

What do you say in the US?

Lots of people in the US say "S.O." for sigificant other ... it's actually a check box on some forms. Others use Partner (Old Lady/Man ... ball & chain ... ;) )

Question: Would a civil marriage in California still be legal in Australia? I can't think why not, but it couldn't hurt to make sure ... Good luck -- I hope it all works out for you!

Katlovett
02-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Question: Would a civil marriage in California still be legal in Australia? I can't think why not, but it couldn't hurt to make sure ... Good luck -- I hope it all works out for you!

I know for sure that Australia respects a marriage between a man and a woman which has lawfully occurred in another country (I have friends that were married here and moved there.) I do not know whether Australia respects same-sex civil/domestic partnerships from other countries.

Katprint

geoffa
02-06-2007, 09:59 AM
"Same-sex marriage is not recognised under Australian federal law. Under section 51(xxi) [1] of the Australian Constitution, the Parliament of Australia is vested with the powers to make laws with respect to marriage. Until 2004 the Marriage Act 1961 did not define marriage, but the common law definition of marriage as "a union between a man and a woman" was applied by Australian courts and was taken to be "settled law.

One would ask if my civil partnership would be recognised in the States other than California and Massachusetts. I doubt under the present incumbent.

But the question I have to ask is would Disney condone a Civil Union in their park?

And to Katlovett we sometimes refer to each other as "the wife". Not PC I know but who cares....?

For more on U K Civil partnerships see:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/civilpartnerships/

mckygirl99
02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
There is a pretty little chapel in Garden Grove called the "Garden Room", which is about 10-15 minutes from DLR. If you do an internet search for the city and place, you'll find it. My sister got married there about 10 years ago and they have another location in La Habra and a friend got married there last August. Check it out b/c it may be exactly what you are looking for. They have a side that is just a chapel. Another idea I have seen people do is they get a minister or someone else to marry them right at a beach in OC. Definately, inexpensive, simple and beautiful!

I always say "Viva Las Vegas!" I know my DH and I did about 7 years ago and are more in love now than ever! Good luck to you!