PDA

View Full Version : The old Skyway

bobabooey
02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Does anybody know why the Skyway ride was shut down in 1994 (I think it was that year)? I jst thought it was a terrific way to travel the park, and such a great view from above. Could it possibly be for liability reasons?

raediance
02-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I have no idea what the skyway is. Maybe I'm too young.
Yeah probably. I was born in 1993. I think I first went to disneyland in 1995...so that would make me...out of the loop.

Bytebear
02-03-2007, 09:31 PM
The skyway was a ski lift type ride that went from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland (and back). You can still see the station across from the bathrooms near Casey Jr. in Fantasyland and the other station was above the bathrooms behind Autopia.

The ride was closed because it wasn't handicapped accessible and they didn't want to put the money into upgrading.

The coolest thing was that the ride went right through the middle of the Matterhorn. In fact one reason the Matterhorn was placed where it is, was to hide the ugly skyway pole sitting on top of Holliday Hill.

Skyway to Fantasyland (http://yesterland.com/skyway.html)
Skyway to Tomorrowland (http://yesterland.com/skywayfant.html)

raediance
02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
omg that's so cool! freaky, but cool! reminds me of a ski lift or something.
fyi, i've never skied.

bobabooey
02-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Are you sure it was closed because of lack of handicap access? What a waste.

Bytebear
02-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Yes, there are rumors that it was closed due to a lawsuit where a man fell/jumped into a tree from the tram, but the real reason was accessibility. It was an old ride, hard to maintain, and it was easier to remove it than update it. So, it went bye-bye.

The old man
02-03-2007, 09:43 PM
How about because people would throw things down (like drinks) on the crowds below?

The Real Cinderella
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
There are often myths thrown around that it was closed because somebody jumped/fell out of it and died. If I am not mistaken, these rumors are highly untrue.

I believe I have heard the story about handicap access (ADA compliant, you know). It also probably had to do with the fact that it was a little outdated, and like all nostalgic Disney attractions, went the way of Yesterland.

As a child this was my favorite ride in the park. My grandmother constantly tried to explain that it was not for enjoyment, but transportation. I never listened, and made her ride it over and over with me. She would have been pleased when they removed it.

jdee
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I thought it was because kids would spit or throw things from it. I also enjoyed it and was sad to see it go.

raediance
02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I remember my cousin told me about somebody sticking out their leg on Matterhorn, and it was caught on camera so everyone had to walk down.
Stupid people, just be good!!! x)

Bytebear
02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I think spitting and throwing things was a factor, but a VERY minor one. After all they were spitting and throwing for 40 years.

Rufus T Firefly
02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
I think the final nail in the Skyway's coffin was the day it broke down and the Anaheim Fire Dept had to be called in to evacuate all the guests that were stuck dangling in mid air. I still remember the newspaper pics.

Stupid_American
02-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Altough it was the perfect platform for bombing runs, speaking with a few long time cast members, the unanimous reason for closer was lack of access for the handicapped.
They politely refer to it as "compliancy issues".

nmjohnston874
02-04-2007, 07:47 AM
I find the handicapped reason specious. (That's "lame" for you younger folks.) There are other rides still running that are not HA, such as the Columbia and the tree house. I think it was an excuse with the real reason being the throwing-spitting issue that DL didn't want to admit was a problem.

SeansMom
02-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Whatever the reason, I miss the view of Submarine Lagoon from the Skyway. It was wonderful! Not to mention going through the Matterhorn.

I would think ALL of the above contributed. I'm sure when "they" (who were the "they" back then?) were making the decision, although not being handicap acc. was a big part, so were all the smaller factors: upkeep, people spitting/throwing, etc.

Malcon10t
02-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Most of the reasons touted were myths. The reason was basically the ride was too expensive to maintain. Not because of the guy who jumped and not because it wasn't accessible (it wasn't required to be accessible, just like the Matterhorn isn't accessible.)

bobabooey
02-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Most of the reasons touted were myths. The reason was basically the ride was too expensive to maintain. Not because of the guy who jumped and not because it wasn't accessible (it wasn't required to be accessible, just like the Matterhorn isn't accessible.)

If it was for cost considerations, that is very disapointing.

disneyhound
02-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Our "Walk in Walt's footsteps" tour guide (1/29/07) told us that it was a variety of reasons. When the ride required a major refurbishment, it was decided that there were too many reasons to close it down. She stated; cost, safety and how it didn't tie together well with the different area themes. She also said that it went through the Matterhorn, and that didn't work well. I remember riding it as a kid. I don't remember any of the reasons she stated, but I can see the safety aspect; guests throwing things... :mad:

Bolivar
02-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure where they get their info, but Snopes.com agrees with Malcon10T:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/skyway.htm

Pirate Princess
02-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I doubt spitting/throwing/jumping was a major reason. It would have been easy to enclose it in glass or a fairly scratch-resistant plastic.

Malcon10t
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I doubt spitting/throwing/jumping was a major reason. It would have been easy to enclose it in glass or a fairly scratch-resistant plastic.
It was getting to where they decided they needed to do this, but costs were an issue. The issue was also it was a low capacity ride. If I remember right, capacity was only something like 800 an hour.

jcruise86
02-04-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure where they get their info, but Snopes.com agrees with Malcon10T:

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/skyway.htm
Thanks Bolivar!

I wonder what "Mouse Tales" author David Koenig could contribute to this
Skyway danger discussion.

Pirate Princess
02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
It was getting to where they decided they needed to do this, but costs were an issue. The issue was also it was a low capacity ride. If I remember right, capacity was only something like 800 an hour.
Really? I figure dropping a few thousand on glass and steel reinforcements/frames, as opposed to the cost of building other rides (millions), would be a non-issue. However, I can understand the capacity problem. I hope they never take up that logic with Peter Pan though. The capacity on that ride is really bad. Does anyone have the numbers on that?