PDA

View Full Version : Souvenirs?

SunshineH100
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I will be taking my family to Disneyland for the first time on the 10th of February. We are trying to do a "somewhat" budget trip. We booked a higher than average priced hotel, as we wanted specific amenities, but we are trying to cut costs elsewhere, without sacrificing too much. I have talked to a lot of people who have mentioned NOT to buy souvenirs on the park grounds, that there are lots of places outside the gates that sell the same stuff for much better prices. Anyone give me any ideas as to where???? We are staying on Harbour, about a mile down from Disneyland, but will not have a car, as we are flying in from Canada. Anything close by that I should know about?

zombie pirate
02-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Personally I prefer souvenirs from inside the park. There special, every time you look at them at home they will bring back a special memory to your mind.

yellowrosedtxn
02-02-2007, 05:02 AM
One of the popular things to do is to go to the Character Warehouse. Now, you would have to get a cab to go there, and sometimes there are not great items there, but you can sometimes find shirts and things at good prices that you can SOMETIMES still find in the park. This is an option, plus you can go to Walmart too, but I wouldn't do that if you are looking for something park specific.

You can always do some penny squishing in the parks and it is only .51 to do it. These are always fun. Or make your own autograph book for the kids and then the characters can sign them. That is easy, fun and cheap to do. There are tons of things you can do, but you have to be creative. There are a lot of people on these boards that will give you wonderful ideas.

Shelley

SunshineH100
02-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the replies....

what ARE the costs of souvenirs like? It has been about 30 yrs *gasp* since I was there, so really have no idea....
the kids are interested in "ears" with their names on them, and probably a few t-shirts...

backsthepack
02-02-2007, 06:04 AM
The penny squishing thing is awesome. Our son has a blast trying to locate the ones he doesn't have. The books to hold the pennies are only like $6.95 or something like that. Of all of the items he chooses at the shops, the pennies are actually his favorite. I would imagine going on a budget this would be a fun way to go to bring back a little Disney with you.

samsma
02-02-2007, 06:53 AM
I didn't find the prices that terrible the last time we were there. Our daughter got the "Golden" Mickey Ears with her name on them for either 7 or 9 dollars(can't remember which), and a sweatshirt for something like 22. I find in Canada that it's more expensive to buy from the Disney store here, beacause they make a Canadian price, and it's more expensive than the exchange rate. The only thing thats really pricey is the food and water (2.75) take your own and fill it up at the park.

wenderella
02-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Sunshine - It's true that "souvenears" in the park are somehow more special. What works out well with us may work for you, depending on the ages of your kids. The kids look around the entire time we're there, scoping out what they "REALLY" want. Note - at first they'll "REALLY" want EVERYTHING! That's why it's clear that we don't purchase until the last day. This also saves carrying around extra baggage during the day. Then on the last day, the kids get a reasonable amount (I usually do $30 - $50 each) on a Disney Merchandise Card or Disney Dollars, available at just about any store inside the park (try the Emporium). That way THEY get to decide what they really want and by that time, they've seen it all. They can buy a bunch of little things, or 1 big thing...it's their choice! Have Fun!

yohomama212
02-02-2007, 08:35 AM
This is exactly why we started Pin Trading. We were going frequently (love having friends who work in the park) and now that we're AP holders, it's even more so! Pins can be pricey after a while ($20 something for the starter set- that comes with the lanyard and four pins- and about $9 and up for each pin), but when you're trying to save $$$ and space, pins are great! DH and I got each other pins for our anniversary, we'll get Valentine's Day pins for the kids, stocking stuffers, birthday gifts, you get the idea. I guess we're more on the collector side than the trading side. Anyway, focus the souveniers, if you have a DD who likes dolls, only let her get dolls. If you have a DS who already collects Star Wars toys, only let him go shopping at the Star Trader. If the kids are old enough to understand money (I'm already starting this with my 4 year old) give them a budget and make them stick to it. Put their name on an envelope with the cash inside, or keep a reigister for them to track their expenses on. I think I'm rambling more than I should and probably got off topic a bit (this flu isn't helping me much).

Liz :cool:

SunshineH100
02-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and the suggestions.... they have been quite helpful. It sounds like the souvenirs arent as highly priced as some have suggested to me.

We are really getting excited now... 6 more sleeps!!

derraj25
02-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Because we always fly, and hate it when the TSA unwrapps our fragiles for inspection, we have taken to shop for souviners at disneyoutlet.com before we leave. That way when we get home, our souviners are at our doorstep. We have litterally saved $100's per trip! Sometimes you can catch 2for1's, 50-75% off, or free shipping. It's definitely worth checking out.

--d2

yenko427
02-04-2007, 05:35 PM
I also thought the souvenirs in the park were a bit pricey. I bought a sweatshirt for $42 for me, Jedi sweatshirt for DS $36, T-shirt $26. I have bought Disney sweatshirts for $7 off the disney shopping site, pajamas for $5, etc. We bought a few things and of course, started the pin collecting as well to commerate our trip. I think we will look into the penny squishing and book next time. Sounds like a fun, inexpensive activity.

derraj25
02-04-2007, 05:43 PM
I think we will look into the pin squishing and book next time. Sounds like a fun, inexpensive activity.

May I suggest penney squishing instead? The pins might jam the machine;)

I know exactly what you are saying, and that is exactly what we do. Our four children know for a fact that they can squish all the pennies they want as well as get two pins a piece and that's it. The pick out their "big souviners" from Disneyoutlet.com before we leave, and they are on the doorstep when we get home.

Now that doesn't stop us from looking though:p

--d2

emilousmom
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
This time around, since we knew we were going awjile ago, I told the kid)4 years old) that any change she saved up, she could use there. I would pay her for "chores" in change. Both grandparents also knew this and slipped her changed here and there. She would get so excited when she owuld find a quater on the ground,lol!

But when we went, I counted it all up and she had $30! That was in 3 months time! I was so proud of her. And we changed it to dollars and then put it in an envelope. She actually only spent $20 of it, but she was so happy cause it was her money!

Angela

LUV_U_MICKEY
02-04-2007, 07:53 PM
This time around, since we knew we were going awjile ago, I told the kid)4 years old) that any change she saved up, she could use there. I would pay her for "chores" in change. Both grandparents also knew this and slipped her changed here and there. She would get so excited when she owuld find a quater on the ground,lol!

Angela

Wow I had almost the same idea but with the empy bottles/containers. My 5 yo has been saving them for the past couple of months. He even rinses trhem out then puts them in the can where they go. He gets so excited when ever anyone brings a pop over or if we are out and he has a bottled juice. I always seem to be lugging empties around. No idea how much he has yet. I am waiting till the week B4 we leave to take them in, but I think he will be happy with the results.

Pirate Princess
02-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I guess I am lucky that my DS5 HATES shopping with a passion. He won't set foot in any of the stores at DL (let alone anywhere else.) The one souvenir that we do (and bring back with us every time to add to) is the autograph book and "special" pen with his favorite character Buzz. We bought the one with the photo slots so while the character signs it I shoot a pic of my DS and the character. When we get home and process the pics we figure out which slots they go in and put a date next to each picture so we can differentiate between the trips.
Unfortunately now my son won't go near any of the characters.... makes a twenty foot loop around them. So I have started ordering PJ's from Disney Shopping before we go of his favorite rides. Last time it was Pirate PJ's and Buzz PJ's for a few bucks each. While it is too late to do that now (unless you want to pay an exorbitant amount for shipping) you should do that when you first get there. I am not sure of your plans but many people don't go to the park upon late arrival. If this is you, you can head to DTD on your first day to the World of Disney store and let them each pick out their favorite PJ's to dream in that night.

OHHHH something else. A great souvenir if you children end up loving the Buzz ride is the lasers they sell. They look almost identical to the ones they use on the ride and will end up making children remember their favorite ride through imaginative play. (Of course they make an awful sound that causes them to occasionally, yet magically, disappear.)

ETA: Wow.. hope you can decode that message. Hmmm... it's never good when you have a hard time understanding what you just wrote. Grammar has failed me.

Pirate Princess
02-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Also... check out this thread for free stuff:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60986
Some ideas are a bit excessive but there are some neat free things at the park (especially some great logo-ed free things to pick up if you scrapbook.)

ETA: that thread has a link to this page which is helpful too:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=tp040804lt

emmah
02-04-2007, 10:04 PM
one of my favorite park souvenirs is a pack of playing cards - they cost about $5 a pack and get a lot of use at our place and there are always different packs available. re: the pins - a good way to collect cool pins is to buy a few on ebay - we bought a bunch for 99 cents each from the same seller so we only had to pay the one lot of postage, and then we can trade them for cool pins from cast members during our stay. that can save a lot of money - pins cost upwards of $7 each in the park. :)

DisneyPrincessCat
02-05-2007, 06:31 AM
The souvenirs that we saw at stores outside the park are different than park merchandise. We bought some tee-shirts at a little store outside the park and they were definitely different than park shirts, but the price was about the same. Disney licenses certain merchandise for outside retailers and sells park only merchandise in the parks or at WoD in DtD. You can get some cool things you do not see in the parks in the little stores in the perimeter of the park, BUT you will NOT get the merchandise they sell AT the parks. I did NOT see ears at the outside stores, lots of magnets, keychains, t-shirts and not very cool plush. The actual Park merch, is way nicer and not knock-offs. Prices were pretty close to the same as the park, maybe a few bucks less. We did the penny pressing this time and I bought the little fold-over book to put them in, it was 6.00 and it is very cool. You can find a list of penny pressing locations online. I cannot remember for the life of me, the website, but I bet if you google Disneyland penny pressing you will find it. The pressed pennies are all over the park and they very cool.:cool: We got the one with Walt's sig on it at the Opera House on Main Street and at the Arcade they have many, many machines. Also there are some very reasonbly priced items as well at the stores. Disneyland is expensive, but one can bring home the memeories for not alot of cash! Have fun!!!!:fez:
sues

emilousmom
02-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Wow I had almost the same idea but with the empy bottles/containers. My 5 yo has been saving them for the past couple of months. He even rinses trhem out then puts them in the can where they go. He gets so excited when ever anyone brings a pop over or if we are out and he has a bottled juice. I always seem to be lugging empties around. No idea how much he has yet. I am waiting till the week B4 we leave to take them in, but I think he will be happy with the results.

We did this also, but then we didn't have enough time to go trade in the cans,lol. Thqt was going to be the hubs and my money, but oh well,lol. Next time! I hope you get a bunch of money when you trade it in.

Ang

donduckuno
02-06-2007, 06:31 AM
Hit the Disney Character Warehouse - lots of park clothing/toys/souveniers at discount prices. They take actual park items that are being closed out, so they are Disney items. Sometimes the place is loaded, other times not so..... hit and miss. But I ALWAYS hit that place with my once or twice annual trips there. Enjoy!

mistofviolets
02-06-2007, 10:01 AM
It depends on what you have in mind. T shirts and stuffed animals add up.

My kids each spent just under $20 at the mr potato head bar, we had a potato head so only one got a body. They got tons of cool accessories. They're very happy, and it was reasonable, compared to the kits you can get at the store.

If you have a budget and keep to it, it really isn't going to add up too terribly much. If you have a disney visa...make all your purchases at the same time and get a discount (I forget how much you have to spend)

And you can always walk by the Park Vue inn and do that 2 hour interview...with free lunch and disney dollars (but you have to give up 2 whole hours...) LOL.