PDA

View Full Version : Oh what to do what to do [with Toontown]

Pages : [1] 2

just beatla33
01-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I always hear news about referbing this ride, adding this to this land, a new ride here and there, revamping Tomorrowland, all this to make DL a better place. Am I not wrong, but one thing that I never hear a peep out of is the decaying Toon Town. I believe something totally has to be done with that land. I just had an idea which is such a fantasy that they just close that land down and demolish it...except keep Roger open, and either make a new land or extend Fantasyland out there and dedicate that area to recent Disney movies, like make that Little Mermaid ride, build a Pride Rock, have a Star Tours type ride for like Atlantis. There's so much that can be done. Eh that's just my thought of the day, had to get it out there.

Bolivar
01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Toontown is so tucked out of sight and has nothing that interests me or my family (even the three-year-old) that I just never really think about it. I would really like to see Tomorrowland fixed because it was once so great and is an integral part of DL. Now that you mention it, yes Toontown, for me, is a waste of space, but a waste of space that I just don't really think about.

shna
01-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Toontown is the area that my toddler loved the most -- and I got a whole bunch of awesome photos there. The play area was terrific for her -- let her get out of her stroller & move around freely without scaring her parents half to death. I wish they'd add more to Toontown!

jeffthechef
01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
My 3-year old loves toontown. I like the Gadget roller coaster because it gives her a chance to ride a real one. She's still too small for the big ones...

I must say, however, I really like the idea of getting more movie-themed rides into the park. Films from the nineties such as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion king deserve their place in DL.

nvmom
01-31-2007, 10:09 AM
My kids like Toon Town. Even my girls who are older (9 & 12) like the details in Minnie's House especially... I don't think they should do away with it.. but a revamp of some kind would be great. Haven't see the new play area. I suppose my 4 yr old ds will like it.

nvmom

9oldmen
01-31-2007, 10:30 AM
The newest land in the park is "decaying"? It's only been open 14 years. I know that it's older than a lot of people on this board, but in the grand scheme of things, it's one of the newest areas in the park. It's the last thing that need attention now. And don't hold out for an attraction based on "Atlantis". That bomb of a movie wasn't even submitted for the just created best animated feature Oscar that year.

just beatla33
01-31-2007, 10:32 AM
The newest land in the park is "decaying"? It's only been open 14 years. I know that it's older than a lot of people on this board, but in the grand scheme of things, it's one of the newest areas in the park. It's the last thing that need attention now. And don't hold out for an attraction based on "Atlantis". That bomb of a movie wasn't even submitted for the just created best animated feature Oscar that year.

Pinocchio did horrible in the theaters too. Atlantis is a great movie, Disney movies just do better on video than their realse. Lilo and Stitch did bad too

vfire
01-31-2007, 10:42 AM
My kids love Toontown too. Goofy's playground could have been a little more interesting or extended out to the "park" next door, which I hardly ever see anyone using. Goofy's house could also use a little more visual interest since it doesn't bounce anymore. Donald's boat could use some refurbing. The Gadget coaster is great for giving the little ones the chance to ride a coaster. Mickey and Minnie's house are great. And the rest of the area is well themed too. There is a corner next to Chip n Dale's house that is netted off for some reason. Be nice to see them do something with that and the Toontown "park."

samsma
01-31-2007, 10:44 AM
My 8 year old daughter loves to play Toon Town on line game. It cost $10 amonth for subscription, and there are tons of kids playing this. Even though she did not enjoy much more than RR Cartoon Spin in TT, She did like being in the town, and relating it to her game. I bet TT is still a popular money maker for Disney.

just beatla33
01-31-2007, 10:51 AM
I would live in toon town if I could, but they're original idea decayed since 96. Donalds boat took down most of its interactive things because it was "unsafe" same thing with Chip and Dales house...well actually here's an article about it

http://mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mt060124dk

they just need to show some attention to this place, show some love

abookworm
01-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow, that article makes it sound postively empty and dull. I sure hope it's better than it makes it sound....
I have a toddler so was looking forward to this area-maybe not now?

Katlovett
01-31-2007, 11:34 AM
My kids were ages 1 and 3 1/2 when we went last September, and we all really enjoyed Toontown.

The Jolly Trolly is now motionless as a photo opportunity instead of a ride and Toontown is a cul-de-sac with only one way in/out so my husband and I felt safe letting them run at will in any direction they liked while we followed them at a leisurely pace. It was a pleasant change from standing motionless in lines, being confined to the stroller and/or parent's firmly gripping hand or clothing.

I wouldn't mind a bigger better play structure, like the really awesome wooden one ("The Hideaways") at Legoland that is three or four stories high, about 200 feet wide and 50 feet deep, with cargo nets and slides galore. I wish they could build something like that in Toontown as an upgrade for Chip and Dale's treehouse, perhaps.

Katprint

Bytebear
01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
If I were to revamp toontown, I would do two things. 1) adjust the fireworks show to allow toontown to be open longer. and 2) add a second entrance, connecting the area where Chip & Dale treehouse is to the other side of the Theater (or wherever it connects). I don't like dead ends. Same problem exists with Critter Country.

Alisonsmom
01-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I was there this weekend and was actually thinking how dull that TT is. I have a 2 1/2yr old and she loves the roller coaster and the playground. And we always know we can find Mickey in his house for the photo op if we can't find him elsewhere in the park. But I am sure that my daughter wouldn't miss TT if it left. There is so much else to do. I don't know about getting rid of it but they sure could add to it and make it more interesting.

Donald Duck Fan68
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
My kids enjoyed Toontown and had a great time just exploring the variety of Toon themed elements throughout the land. (They were 5 and 9 at the time). Interestingly enough, I couldn't get them to try either of the two rides there (Roger Rabit or Gadget's Go Coaster.) My daughter took a jump through Goofy's bounce house (which closed a month later) but both had a better time exploring Micky's house, Minnie's house, the toon cars, and the town hall by Roger Rabits cartoon spin. My kids actually got more into finding characters and getting autographs than I expected, so knowing we could go to TT and get Micky and Minnie's autograph was nice. Also, by the last day, we still hadn't seen Donald anywhere (except in the Christmas parade), so being able to get his autograph at TTMM was a great way to end the trip.

I do think the land needs some attention though; at the very least something to replace the attractions that have been closed or scaled down over the years.

LUV_U_MICKEY
01-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow after reading that article it really does sound boaring and dull, but the funny thing is that when My Sister and I took our two Kids Girl 7 and boy 5 last March we had an AMAZING time and didn't notice anything missing. We had a blast at town hall and got some great photos and like everyone else said we didn't have to worry as much about the kids. This year when we go back my DS wants to visit TT first.

Tinkermommy
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
My 8 year old daughter loves to play Toon Town on line game. It cost $10 amonth for subscription, and there are tons of kids playing this. Even though she did not enjoy much more than RR Cartoon Spin in TT, She did like being in the town, and relating it to her game. I bet TT is still a popular money maker for Disney.

Our whole family plays! My hubby plays ToonTown late at night to relax; I sometimes play with other moms I know whose kids have accounts, and our kids play together. We've even gone to the ToonTown "events" at Disney Studios the past two years -- great fun, and lots of people in attendance.

I've often wondered why Disneyland's ToonTown doesn't have some game-related merchandise for sale or other tie-ins. A couple years ago, we did a ToonTown birthday party (the game) and went looking for stuff to buy. A CM in the Gag Shop (which the game also has) said people ask for it all the time but it's just not available, other than the big white Mickey hands.

I think they could do a lot with ToonTown!

daliseurat
01-31-2007, 07:59 PM
I remember when ToonTown first opened and how massively disappointing it was. At the time I had no interest in meeting characters, and the only attractins were a kiddie coaster and Roger Rabbit. And the Jolly Trolly. But I figured it was a new land and would get better. Well years later, they've gutted the Chip and Dale Treehouse, removed a bunch of stuff from Donalds boat, locked the Jolly Trolley in place and added nothing new. A shame. My four year old DOES love it. She loves Mickey and Minnies house. She loves the Coaster, but doesn't know who Gadget is. It's a land with promise, but it just never gets fulfilled. Why not move in some Playhouse Disney Characters? How about a show? Something.

yohomama212
01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
I took the kiddos in to TT last week and they loved it! That article is prejudiced and decieving. TT is great for the kids to run and play and have some fun. My kids seriously spent an hour exploring Mickey's house, they were facinated by every little thing! (Believe it or not, their favorite part was watching Mickey's washer wash his gloves... they stood there transfixed for about 10 minutes!) We were only there to see Mickey, so we didn't go anywhere else. There's tons more to explore and discover in TT and I can't wait to find a less crowded day to let the kids loose and find all there is to find in this great land!

Liz :cool:

MadasaHatter
02-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Interesting post....

First off I think Torrowland is pretty good now that they are putting in the NEMO subs and the talk is bringing the PEOPLE MOVER BACK. I think that HISTA could go and I don't PERSONALLY care for Innovations but the land is full and cool looking....

As for TOON TOWN. I really dig it. The XMAS tree there is Waaaaaay cooler than the one on Main Street. (Goofy Santa is also cooler than the real Santa. Ours was kind of creepy. ) Roger Rabbit is an awesome dark ride and the land looks great. It is a place for autographs and for those people that want to get a picture with MICKEY for sure. I think the Coaster is awesome for kids who want to cut their teeth on a roller coaster. I have ridden it and it is cute and even fun for an adult.....I don't usually ride it and don't ever wait in line for it.....

I do however agree about the rides...Donald's Boat can go and CHIP n DALE's place could go and an attraction or show put in there...

As for other Disney movie rides.....Little Mermaid could go in near the lagoon where the boats were.....I would love to see a DARK RIDE in Adventureland between the TIKI ROOM and JUNGLE CRUISE where the Aladdin theatre is (is there room???) The Lion King would be ok ( I still think they should bring back the LION KING PARADE as that was one of my favorite attractions..) but I would love to see A WHOLE NEW WORLD ride from Aladdin that mirrors Peter Pan where you sit on flying carpets and soar over the globe like in the movie. I think that is a NO BRAINER and cannot believe they didn't do it sooner.

Niwel
02-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Wouldn't toontown be a great place for Mary Poppins' Jolly Holiday attraction where the horses "leap" off the track?
OR!!! Build a theater and put in Mickey's Philharmagic since it is all about the Toons.
I think ours fares better than the one in WDW.. at least we have Roger Rabbit...

MollyTrolly
02-01-2007, 11:17 AM
For me, Toon Town is a fun place for a few minutes (long enough to ride Roger and take a quick look around (if DD is rowdy let her run about for a few). But I think they do need something more than the couple rides and characters. A show or other regular attraction would be great. That area is always so dead that the food vendors are rarely open 9at least when I try) and it seems like it has so much mor epotential.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-01-2007, 11:26 AM
My kids still like it, they love Mickey and Minnie's houses and Roger Rabbit. The little guy loves the go coaster (who is Gadget?).

It does need some freshening. Another ride, or interactive activity.

just beatla33
02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Gadget was from the Rescue Rangers

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Thank you, missed out on the Rescue Rangers