PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Bengal BBQ [recipe]

kyledmb
01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I know there is alot of talk about this place closing, hopefully it doesn't, but either way I was wondering if anyone had tried the Korean Sauce spicy beef skewers recipe that is floating around online.

It's the one that looks like this:

1 cup Soy Sauce
1 1/2 cups Water
1 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Sesame Seed Oil
1 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic
3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
18 one-ounce pieces Sirloin Beef Chunks
6 Bamboo Skewers

Well I tried it, and being a cook with moderate ability, I think I messed it up pretty good. It tasted as if I just mixed Soy Sauce with a pound of pepper. I saw some reviews from people raving about how good it was...and when compared to the real thing mine was, well...inedible.

Help!!!!

Jwebbal
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
my guess from reading the recipe? way too much red and cayenne pepper. I would put in only one or the other, and then only a quarter tsp of cayenne, OR a half teaspoon of red pepper. black pepper I would keep the same

kyledmb
01-30-2007, 06:24 AM
my guess from reading the recipe? way too much red and cayenne pepper. I would put in only one or the other, and then only a quarter tsp of cayenne, OR a half teaspoon of red pepper. black pepper I would keep the same

Do they rig the recipe on purpose so you can never get it right? So many people have raved about how good the recipe was when trying it at home!

Missapsy
01-30-2007, 12:18 PM
hmm, well i noticed that all the recipes for the sauce don't include sugar..but if you are thinking the taste of yours is just a peppery soy sauce, try adding some brown sugar or honey. we made lots of korean bbq at home (the joy of having a korean mother) and that was an ingredient, along with fresh minced garlic (not dry).

i haven't had the bbq at DL so maybe this wasnt' too much help, i'm sorry >< but you might like it anyway :)

kyledmb
01-30-2007, 01:01 PM
hmm, well i noticed that all the recipes for the sauce don't include sugar..but if you are thinking the taste of yours is just a peppery soy sauce, try adding some brown sugar or honey. we made lots of korean bbq at home (the joy of having a korean mother) and that was an ingredient, along with fresh minced garlic (not dry).

i haven't had the bbq at DL so maybe this wasnt' too much help, i'm sorry >< but you might like it anyway :)

I think you're up the right ally...sugar is a common ingredient in BBQ sauces and peanut sauce type stuff.

Anyone else out there who has tried the recipe at home?

Lani
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like a nitpick but is there a reason you are calling Bengal BBQ "infamous"? The word means something is BAD (disgraceful, bad reputation, etc.). Are you providing a recipe so we can cook our own, because Bengal BBQ is too expensive or somehow unpleasant??

Sign me confused.

Missapsy
01-30-2007, 01:11 PM
we need the recipe to raise our cooking skill to 325 ;)

The old man
01-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like a nitpick but is there a reason you are calling Bengal BBQ "infamous"? The word means something is BAD (disgraceful, bad reputation, etc.). Are you providing a recipe so we can cook our own, because Bengal BBQ is too expensive or somehow unpleasant??

Sign me confused.
My thougts too when I read the heading.

Rkkm
01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Try this site:
http://www.bertino.com/disney/disney_misc.shtml#docsrecipes

Here is their recipe list:

Disney receipes
Welcome to the Disney receipes archive
RECEIPE/Bengal BBQ
RECEIPE/Monte Cristo Sandwich
RECEIPE/Mint Julep
RECEIPE/Walt Disney's chili
RECEIPE/Brown Derby Cobb Salad
RECEIPE/French Toast
RECEIPE/Fresh Vegetables

Bolivar
01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I just looked and the recipe posted there is exactly the same as the one posted by the OP. Or should I say the ingredients are the same. The OP didn't give instructions as to what to do with those ingredients, but I would assume if she had the same ingredients, she likely had the same instructions too.

cstephens
01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like a nitpick but is there a reason you are calling Bengal BBQ "infamous"?

I was just going to ask the same thing!

kyledmb
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I was just going to ask the same thing!
\\
Sorry, i was referring more to my miserable attempts and not to the restaurant itself...

anyone on here that has actually tried this recipe and had success?

JohnGar
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, infamous?
Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. Infamous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

FYI, This movie is starting right NOW on AMC (the cable channel, not the theater).

daliseurat
01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
I know there is alot of talk about this place closing, hopefully it doesn't, but either way I was wondering if anyone had tried the Korean Sauce spicy beef skewers recipe that is floating around online.

It's the one that looks like this:

1 cup Soy Sauce
1 1/2 cups Water
1 Tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp. Sesame Seed Oil
1 tsp. Ground Red Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tbsp. Granulated Garlic
3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
18 one-ounce pieces Sirloin Beef Chunks
6 Bamboo Skewers

Well I tried it, and being a cook with moderate ability, I think I messed it up pretty good. It tasted as if I just mixed Soy Sauce with a pound of pepper. I saw some reviews from people raving about how good it was...and when compared to the real thing mine was, well...inedible.

Help!!!!

I can help you. My first go had the same result. :mad: This recipe needs to be altered. This is my favorite treat at Disneyland, so I worked this recipe out. Depending on the soy sauce you use, and the pepper it can turn out very differently. So, you need to taste it as you go to see if it tastes the way YOU like it. I find that the sauce at Disneyland definitely has a sweetness underneath the heat. So sugar is a neccessity. And I find adding lemon to the mix jazzes it up. Fresh ingredients are also important. Once you get it the way you want it, make larger quantities and freeze it.

Bengal BBQ Korean Sauce

First, heat a teaspoon of vegetable or canola oil gently in a sauce pan. Add one tablespoon (Or more to taste) of crushed fresh garlic. Saute lightly, do not burn.

Now Add 2/3 cup of Soy Sauce, and 1 cup of water.

Add:

1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice.
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon crushed Red Pepper flakes
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne

Bring to a slow boil over medium to low heat.

Reduce heat and simmer to reduce slightly.

Mix 1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Mix well. Add to simmering sauce.

Allow mixture to simmer slowly until the sauce thickens to a shiney, but thick sauce. Now, you need to taste it. Everyone has their own idea of what this sauce should taste like. And it doesn't really taste right until it's one the MEAT. It will get HOTTER as it sits. The red pepper flakes will release more flavor and heat over time. If it's too mild, add some more of the red pepper. If it's too thick, add a little water and a little Soy Sauce. If it needs a little tang, add another splash of Lemon. If it's tastes like SOY SAUCE and PEPPER again, add a little more water, sugar and Lemon. The sugar, sesame oil, lemon and fresh garlic are key in giving this a real flavor. You may need to try to make this a couple times, trying to determine what you need less of. Definitely one cup of Soy Sauce is too much.

Let this sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.

Cube SIRLOIN (I tried cheaper meat and it was no good) into one inch cubes. Put into a Ziplock bag with a marinade of 1 part SOYSAUCE, 2 parts LEMON JUICE, 1 part water and several grinds of pepper. Let this marinate in the refridgerator at least 3 hours. ( I do this overnight and make the sauce just before a grill the meat)

Gently warm the Korean Sauce. If it's too thick add a little water, lemon or Soy Sauce.

Put the meat on skewers and grill over medium heat until they are medium rare to medium. Do not over cook these or they'll be tough. Once you put the skewers on a plate baste generously with the Korean Sauce.

Enjoy.:D

One final note. The grilled skewers taste great even without the sauce.

kyledmb
01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
I can help you. My first go had the same result. :mad: This recipe needs to be altered. Thanks!! If this works you will be my new hero!

Gurnsey
01-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, infamous?
Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. Infamous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

FYI, This movie is starting right NOW on AMC (the cable channel, not the theater).

:eek: THREE AMIGOES! :D

kyledmb
01-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Ok...I just made it...top sirloin on the grill!!

And the consensus is...you are my new hero!! Amazing and accurate from what I remember (it's been 4-5 year since i've had the real thing).

ANyone else wanting the real recipe try this one. One suggestion:

Use low-sodium Soy Sauce. It was a little salty.:D

Bolivar
01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Or just use a bit less soy sauce and it will be less salty.

daliseurat
01-31-2007, 07:12 PM
I personally prefer to use less Soy Sauce, as the low sodium just never tastes right to me. But for anyone who is somewhat salt-sensitive, I would go the low- sodium route. I'm so pleased it worked for you. I believe it took me three tries to get it right. I also like this on chicken skewers.

kyledmb
02-01-2007, 06:26 AM
I personally prefer to use less Soy Sauce, as the low sodium just never tastes right to me. But for anyone who is somewhat salt-sensitive, I would go the low- sodium route. I'm so pleased it worked for you. I believe it took me three tries to get it right. I also like this on chicken skewers.

I saved some sauce to try on chicken!

kyledmb
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I saved some sauce to try on chicken!

PS - one more thing, the sauce is even better when it has been in your fridge overnight. The sugars, garlic and peppers release all the flavors into the sauce and it tastes even more authentic. Make the sauce a day in advance and let it do the work!

dz4dsny
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I was at DL Sunday and thought to go get some yummy bacon wrapped aspargus - and it wasn't on the menu. It had been replaced by grilled vegetables. Is it off season for asparagus? I was very sad.

kyledmb
02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I was at DL Sunday and thought to go get some yummy bacon wrapped aspargus - and it wasn't on the menu. It had been replaced by grilled vegetables. Is it off season for asparagus? I was very sad.

Due to record lows AZ and CA i hear that many fruits and veggies have become a major shortage, causing prices to increase...this may have something to do with it. I heard they even had and inch of snow in Phoenix!

The bacon/asparagus skewers we never seasonal to my knowledge.