PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic starts soon... everyone excited?

Pages : [1] 2

sydney
05-31-2002, 08:49 PM
So although we didn't get those new fancy maps this week, I did notice that there's a show listing for FANTASMIC next friday-- anyone else planning on being there? I'm really excited to see the show after such a long hiatus... I'm sure the issue has been discussed before, but if anyone wants to share their fave veiwing locations or tips I'd love to hear them...

tinkfreak
05-31-2002, 08:52 PM
I am soooo excited. While working a closing shift on Wed. night I heard some familiar music and went outside to have a look. I got my own private monkey show! My favorite part! I would sooo be a monkey over any other character in the show.

kranders
05-31-2002, 09:00 PM
I'll be there Sunday the 9th. I'm excited since I've never seen the show! I'd also like to hear about the good viewing areas besides the balcony and priority seating areas. We'll be watching the later show. How early do I need to stake out good seats?
Ken

Rallymonkey23
05-31-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by kranders
I'll be there Sunday the 9th. I'm excited since I've never seen the show! I'd also like to hear about the good viewing areas besides the balcony and priority seating areas. We'll be watching the later show. How early do I need to stake out good seats?
Ken

What you need to do is be over near Tarzan's Treehouse waiting for the first show to end. I say this because you have never seen the show before and I wouln't want to ruin the show for you. (You can't see the show from the treehouse.) Anyways, you will know when the show is over when you hear alot of people clapping and yelling. So when the show is over you need to take a seat straight in front of the house, right on the Rivers Of America. Have fun! I will be there so I hope to meet ya!

innerSpaceman
06-01-2002, 07:38 AM
Yes, first-timers must always see it front and center, even though that usually means quite a wait.

For repeat viewers, the tip of the day (if you don't already know it) is that you can walk right up, a minute before the show starts, to a location directly in front of the westernmost "mist" screen (over by the Haunted Mansion) and see the show with no wait at all, and with a perfect view of the animations projected on the screen. Your view of the stage is from the side and some of the effects there (Queen changing into witch, the dragon, et al.) are revealed. But the water barges are just as good from here, and some say the big ships (Columbia and Mark Twain) are even better from this side as there is a very wide panorama of the entire riverfront from this incredible, underutilized viewing area.

Uncle Dick
06-01-2002, 08:00 AM
I'm not particularly excited. Fantasmic never really did anything for me, except empty out the rest of the park, making all of the lines nice and short. But I'll probably see it on "opening night" anyway, just because I have nothing better to do.

Matterhorn Fan
06-01-2002, 08:15 AM
Is there any chance there'll be a "dress rehearsal" on Thursday night?

DEP . . . Fantasmic . . . Believe . . . The group I'm going to be with will have to choose unless there's a secret show before Friday.

RideMax Mark
06-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Speaking of Fantasmic tips, one of my favorites is to hop on the train at Main Street just as the fireworks are ending. You then can hop off at NOS and get a great spot for the second F! show as all of the crowds from the first show are leaving the other direction.

oohykitten
06-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
I am soooo excited. While working a closing shift on Wed. night I heard some familiar music and went outside to have a look. I got my own private monkey show! My favorite part! I would sooo be a monkey over any other character in the show.

Glad to know I am not the only one that has had those thoughts! I think there part is so cool.

Polar33
06-02-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Is there any chance there'll be a "dress rehearsal" on Thursday night?

DEP . . . Fantasmic . . . Believe . . . The group I'm going to be with will have to choose unless there's a secret show before Friday.

It's highly unlikely there will be any shows earlier than Friday June 7th. The Thursday before will be a Grad Nite so there is no chance for any time to rehearse that night. I believe that they are still practicing Monday through Wednesday this week. They start at around 10 PM so the park will be quite cleared out by then.

I'll be there on the 7th to catch both shows. I've caught more than my fair share of the scene rehearsals that they have been doing the past few months and it only has made me more anxious to see the show return!

danyoung
06-02-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by kranders
Ken

Here's my favorite trick for getting a great viewing location. Look around the viewing area for the 3 lighting towers. You'll notice that the center tower is lowered. Take up a position right behind this tower around 20 to 30 minutes before show time. Your view will be totally blocked by the tower, but just be patient. About 10 minutes before show time this tower rises up on its hydraulic lift, and you now have a most excellent view, center stage, right in front of the center water mist screen, and you haven't had to blow 2 hours sitting on cold concrete! SHHH, don't tell anyone else about this . . .

sydney
06-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Dan, you're completely right, that's the best way to see fantasmic without sitting for several hours ahead of time. The center light tower is right behind the control panel and right in front of the center planter in New Orleans. The best part is that people give you strange looks as to why you're camped out in front of a completely obstructed view, only to rush in to join you the minute the light tower rises. I only wish you could fit more people in here! It's been my favorite spot since I got my AP.

The reason the light tower is down until the last minute is that two actual live techs climb the tower to run the manual spot lights for the show. So... I guess I'll see ya there on the 7th...

As for your question about the second show, Ken, It's really a nuthouse, because remember you'll have up to 10 thousand people charging at you if you're comming from the hub, and guest control will only let traffic through in certain directions. So if it were me, I would be careful to take the time to talk to guest control cast members before the first show and establish a route into the area, or just jump on the haunted mansion right as the first show starts. fantasmic lasts about 22 minutes, and by the time the three minute exit music track has ended after that, many people who saw the first show will be in their spots for the second. So I'd just come off the haunted mansion, do my best not to ruin the finale for myself, and then rush in from the direction not being restricted by guest control, moving with the flow of traffic, until I found a spot. I know, I"m obsessed, but I've done it. Hope you're familiar enough with the lay of the land that this all makes sense, Ken. Just remember that the center light tower trick works much better for the first show than it does for the second show.

Sydney

PS: As far as i'm concerned, if you *do* want to stake out for the show a little earlier for a better seat, the best non-premium viewing areas are either up front and center, right at the water's edge, as everyone has previously stated (just know you'll have to sit down-- that's the rule), or on the bridge over pirates. you are slightly off to the side, but not enough to make a difference, and you get an elevated view. Just be on the left half of the bridge facing the water, and your view will be excellent. I've been there some nights where the bridge doesn't fill till later as well.

DLfreak
06-02-2002, 05:57 PM
I'm am totally excited! :)
I'm going to be there Friday afternoon sitting and waiting up front and center. :D

FantasmicFan82
06-02-2002, 07:22 PM
yes!

Disneylandman
06-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Well now it is not a trick anymore...

Lani
06-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Ahhhh, Fantasmic is my favorite attraction at Disneyland. To me, it's better than any other E-ticket ride. In fact, I like it so much I refer to it as an F-ticket. :)

MagicBeliever
06-03-2002, 03:37 PM
All you local APs are gonna have to come back and dish the details to the rest of us. We'll be waiting impatiently. ;)

Sophie832
06-03-2002, 04:41 PM
They have the two shows for Fri. night scheduled for 9 and 10pm. Anyone who's a Disneyland regular knows that they usually have a show at 9, Believe at 9:30, and another show at 10:30. This time, on Fri. nights only, it seems that they're going to try and get thousands of people out of the Rivers of America area, and thousands of people into it, in about a 10-15 minute time period (most people stay around the river to watch Believe). Sounds crazy to me.

I'm definitely gonna be there on Fri. night! I can't wait to see the show again. My favorite place has always been a dead end area in front of the New Orleans French Market restaurant, elevated a little, and towards the center of the river. There is a lighting tower in front, but I too know the secret of the rising tower. The only problem with this spot is that even though the path is directly in front of us, people stop and stand up on the brick wall blocking our view. A CM usually stands there for a while keeping people out, but towards the end of the show, the CM has to go help with traffic control leading out of the area. Sometimes yelling at people gets them to at least sit down, but it bugs me that people do that 10 min into the show! It's like they think that no one has noticed that spot to watch the show, and standing in front of 20 people is ok. Ok, I feel better after ranting a little.

That being said...on Friday I might just try one of the tricks mentioned on here. Maybe one of those viewing places will become my new favorite!12

Ace
06-03-2002, 04:49 PM
wait, so how does the tower go from obstructive to unobstructive?

Disneylandman
06-03-2002, 06:48 PM
people do we really want everyone to know of this little secret... I don't want to have to wait for an hour plus for a good seat for the show.... but yes it is a great place to see the show and eveyone here that knows about it has a BIG advantage.

MonorailMan
06-04-2002, 01:31 AM
Our soul purpose of going on the 19th is to see Fantasmic, I can't wait. 15 Days! :)

danyoung
06-04-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
wait, so how does the tower go from obstructive to unobstructive?

Picture a rectangular grid of lights situated on a large hydraulic pole (like the ones that raise up your car in a service station - see ascii art below). When the grid is sitting on the ground, it's a big 15' wide obstruction. When it's raised on its pole, it's now only a 2' wide obstruction. Pretty neat, huh?

||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||
.........|||.........
.........|||.........
.........|||.........
.........|||.........
.........|||.........

Ace
06-04-2002, 02:43 PM
so if you stand

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
^here, the thing will eventually raise and you'll have an onubstructed view? where is it located on the ROA?

sydney
06-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Yes, Squinky, that's exactly right. Just stand there and you'll be all set. It is directly across from the mill on the island, you'll see it, it's huge. Say hey to me, I'll be there.

I should have known before I started this thread that most likely this secret would come out.... it's where I always stand. But let the record show I'm not the one who "spilled the beans". That being said, I think everyone who cares enough to visit the pad on a regular basis should know about it, and isn't that what we're all here for-- to help each other out and let each other in on the best ways to visit the park. :)

So.... *that* being said, I guess I'll be seeimg you *all* in front of the light tower at 8:30 or so on friday evening... :)

Ace
06-04-2002, 09:12 PM
woo hoo! thanks so much! I'm dyiiiiiiiiiiiiiing to see Fantasmic! but I don't like standing around for hours to see it....so I should be there at about 8:30 (or whenever 30 minutes before the show is...)... how's the view for the fireworks later?