PDA

View Full Version : Schools out Feb 12?

Shootingstaar
01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
I know that when schools are out on Monday, the preceeding Sunday is usually pretty busy. I was planning on going on Feb. 11, and the highschool I work at has the 12th off, but the local college does not. Can anyone tell me if most schools have the 12th off? I would think so since it's Lincoln's birthday, but since our local college doesn't have it off I started having second thoughts.

Malcon10t
01-28-2007, 05:06 PM
I know that when schools are out on Monday, the preceeding Sunday is usually pretty busy. I was planning on going on Feb. 11, and the highschool I work at has the 12th off, but the local college does not. Can anyone tell me if most schools have the 12th off? I would think so since it's Lincoln's birthday, but since our local college doesn't have it off I started having second thoughts.Most CA schools have it off.

bassett1976
01-28-2007, 05:08 PM
The school I teach at has February 12th and 19th off.

mckygirl99
01-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I teach in Anaheim and we will all be off.

VickiC
01-28-2007, 05:33 PM
We are out in Placentia-Linda. The 2 kids and I will be at DL keeping them out of work-at-home Dad's hair. I'm surprised it's not a block-out day, but I'm not going to complain.

CamCay
01-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Every year in Feb. we are out two Mondays in a row. We are off the 12th.

nvmom
01-28-2007, 08:17 PM
We intentionally picked the 8-12 to avoid President's Day weekend (well, what we consider to be President's Day weekend : which would be the weekend including the 19th) Then I noticed the extended Disney hours... never occured to me that people would have both Mondays off. Oh well. I'm just hoping it's not to bad.

nvmom

yohomama212
01-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Figures. You just can't get a peaceful birthday celebration anywhere in SoCal anymore!

Liz :cool:

Tinkermommy
01-29-2007, 07:17 PM
We're in San Bernardino County, about 1.5 hours north-ish of Disneyland. Our schools are off Feb. 12 and 19.

shawnarae
01-29-2007, 08:50 PM
We get Feb 16th and 19th off here in Az. Private school though.

derraj25
01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Since it's a day off school, and not a "Bankers" holiday, we figure the park will be busy with "students" and not so much with "families". So we are planning for slightly larger than normal crowds (definitely busier than the typical Monday,) but not unmanageable.

Darkbeer
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Many government employees also get the day off, for example the County of Orange get the day off, as does the USPS.

Disney is treating the day as being very busy based on hours and entertainment, Including Fireworks and Block Party Bash on Monday evening, days these expensive items are not normally offered on slow to medium days.

I would plan for large crowds, and then hope for slightly lighter crowds.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
The elementary school here is NOT off, but the middle school is off. So, the principal sent out an email reminding us that school is important.... I'm guessing that it will be packed unless it rains. Remember Yom Kippur last year? :eek:

Drince88
01-31-2007, 04:00 AM
Many government employees also get the day off, ..... as does the USPS.

Not according to the official USPS website (http://www.usps.com/communications/news/uspscalendar.htm) - the only holiday in February is Presidents day - February 19.

Now, my local post office will also be closed on the 20th, but that's a special situation just in Southern Louisiana :fez:

SDMom
01-31-2007, 08:35 AM
:confused: I'm trying to figure out what that week will be like after Pres. Day on the 19th. My children get the full week off from school so, we were planning to go 20-23.

The Disney calendar shows regular hours and no fireworks so, my guess is light crowds. However, the resort and area hotels are either booked or have very high rates.

What am I missing?

DopeyWife
01-31-2007, 08:50 AM
There is some sort of golf convention that week.

SDMom
01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
There is some sort of golf convention that week.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I wonder if the convention will have any impact to DLR crowds? Maybe in the evenings?:confused: :confused:

Darkbeer
01-31-2007, 10:54 AM
:confused: I'm trying to figure out what that week will be like after Pres. Day on the 19th. My children get the full week off from school so, we were planning to go 20-23.

The Disney calendar shows regular hours and no fireworks so, my guess is light crowds. However, the resort and area hotels are either booked or have very high rates.

What am I missing?

That many schools get something called Ski Week, where they get February 17th thru the 25th off. And since not everybody skis, they head to other locations, including Disneyland.

It is a somewhat busy time at the park, just not enough to schedule extra entertainment options. Disney will more than likely keep the park open until 9 PM if there is good weather and large crowds. They much rather have to add an hour if needed, then to do it too early, and spend the money if the park is pretty empty.

just beatla33
01-31-2007, 10:56 AM
they'll stay open later, on the 10th I know it'll be open til midnight so the extra hours will probably be all week if not for a few months

SDMom
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
That many schools get something called Ski Week, where they get February 17th thru the 25th off. And since not everybody skis, they head to other locations, including Disneyland.

It is a somewhat busy time at the park, just not enough to schedule extra entertainment options. Disney will more than likely keep the park open until 9 PM if there is good weather and large crowds. They much rather have to add an hour if needed, then to do it too early, and spend the money if the park is pretty empty.

Thanks Darkbeer!
I was able to find a room at the Candy Cane for $149/night. I guess we will give it a try.
:~D