PDA

View Full Version : Rancho del Zocalo?

Nancy
01-27-2007, 05:52 PM
I have given this place 3 chances. The food isn't bad but EVERYTHING tastes the same. The burrito is huge but is tastes just like the tacos and tostada. Didn't they use to have a lot more on the menu? It seem rather limited. Does anyone know where to get better Mexican food in the area?

potzbie
01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
For what it is worth, you are not alone.

The MousePad threads of "food" (of which there are many) seem to share a common theme, namely, the right side counter, where the tacos and burritos are served, are consistently disappointing!

The middle counter, where the rice is and where the BBQ things are (are they still there?), is better. THAT is where I ALWAYS go.

The far, left-most counter, where the "fresh" salads and desserts are, have been satisfying to me.

So, I agree -- give up on their burritos and tacos. But do try the freshly made salad and the pleasant flan and sweet treats.

Bytebear
01-27-2007, 07:42 PM
If you want real Mexican food and you are willing to drive a bit from the park, check out Marino's in Orange. The chain El Torito is pretty good too. I also like Tortilla Joe's in Downtown Disney. Oh, and I like the chicken burritos at Rancho. If we eat in the park, that is usually where we go.

Koukla
01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I agree, Rancho del Zocalo leaves a lot to be desired. I couldn't even finish my taco salad from there last month.

My family owned a Mexican restaurant in Huntington Beach awhile back and I know a little bit about Mexican food. If you want good, authentic Mexican food, try the smaller mom and pop type places and stay away from the chains. One hint my father taught me a long time ago in judging how good one is: if you go in and see Mexicans eating there, then stay. If you don't see any Mexicans eating in the dining room, then go down the street! :D

Californian by birth, with Greek-Mexican-French-German-Spanish ancestry, but my tummy prefers Italian!

tod
01-27-2007, 08:53 PM
If you want real Mexican food and you are willing to drive a bit from the park, check out Marino's in Orange. The chain El Torito is pretty good too. I also like Tortilla Joe's in Downtown Disney. Oh, and I like the chicken burritos at Rancho. If we eat in the park, that is usually where we go.

You don't have to go far from the Resort to get authentic Mexican food. Go to Tacos Mi Pueblo at the corner of Walnut and Katella (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=S%20Walnut%20St%20%26%20W%20Katella%20Ave&city=Anaheim&state=CA&zipcode=92802&country=US&geodiff=1), at the southeast corner of the resort.

--t

Wendi
01-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't like their food anymore. It's such a disappointment to me now because it was always a place I liked and I used to look forward to it. The last time I was there they had just changed to the latest menu (after only a few months on the previous menu change), I had the cheese enchilada platter and I seriously could NOT cut through the bottom of the enchiladas because the tortillas were so, so hard. It was insane!!! The platter was huge, and the food wasn't horrible flavor-wise, but it just was so wrong.

I really liked the short-lived menu that was available just before this. They had a fantastic garlic shrimp and rice dish that my little boy and I devoured happily and were both full before finishing it.

bobabooey
01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Granted it is about an hour drive... but the BEST mexican food around is El Cholo on Western Ave. in LA.

samsma
01-28-2007, 05:09 AM
On our last trip to the area, my family and I went to Plaza Girabaldi in Buena Park. We found the food to be excellent,and the show was fantastic. They had Flamenco dancers and Mariachi bands. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, and Ernesto(the crazy waiter) was fabulous. I highly reccomend this place for a great Mexican experience.

rentayenta
01-28-2007, 05:50 AM
I agree. Their food is marginal at best; bland and common and not worth the money.