PDA

View Full Version : What does "roller coaster TYPE ride" mean?

wdwmartin
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
I have noticed this before, but now it is just starting to bug me.

Space mountain is a thrilling roller coaster type ride. Is that like saying cheeze whiz is cheese type food? Or Krab with a K is Crab type food?

Can some please xplain, it feels like a roller coaster to me? Is there really a difference? Is it just a liability thing, like maybe insurance is cheap for a roller coaster type ride than for a roller coaster?

I have looked it up on wikipedia, but that did not help. It said that not all thrill rides on tracks were roller coasters, but did not say why. Webster basically says that a roller coaster is any thrill ride on tracks. ARGH!

And if you don't have the actual answer smarta$$ answers are encouraged.

geoffa
01-27-2007, 01:50 AM
"Roller Coaster Type" - a bit of Disney speak I think but also see:

http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache:EyVksg0jmscJ:www.answers.com/topic/roller-coaster+definition+roller+coaster&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1

hlbtimes2
01-27-2007, 08:41 AM
My guess is, it is not a standard roller coaster with exposed track (yes, I know, with the lights on it is) and big drops. If someone went in the building expecting nothing more then an indoor roller coaster they would be shocked!

wdwmartin
01-27-2007, 09:39 AM
But they say California Screamin' is a roller coaster type ride too. And if that is not a roller coaster thrn I do not know what is.

I am thinking it is Dinsey Speak, but just trying to figure out why.

tod
01-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Just like Disneyland has "Attractions" and not "Rides," and "Cast Members" instead of "Employees," it has "roller coaster TYPE rides" instead of "roller coasters."

--t

bradk
01-27-2007, 10:04 AM
shouldn't that be roller coaster type attraction then?

but where does it say this? disneyland's web site for the attraction doesn't seem to mention it.

space mountain is definitely an indoor roller coaster. matterhorn is a roller coaster. big thunder mountain is a roller coaster. muholland madness is a wildmouse roller coaster.

ETA: merriam webster actually says '1 : an elevated railway (as in an amusement park) constructed with sharp curves and steep inclines on which cars roll'

i think there has to be an element of gravity, but as far as i know, that applies to all of the coasters mentioned above.

wdwmartin
01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
For SM it says it in the Que during the video. I am sure of it as we make fun of it EVERY time.

I'm not sure where I have heard it about Screamin', but I'll keep my eyes and ears open tonight and see what I can find out.

DisneyDustin22
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Just like Disneyland has "Attractions" and not "Rides," and "Cast Members" instead of "Employees," it has "roller coaster TYPE rides" instead of "roller coasters."

George Carlin could have a field day with this.