PDA

View Full Version : Cats in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

el gee
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
My DD and I visited on 1/9, and while heading to buzz lightyear, we crossed a bridge near King Triton. Near an opening that looked like it went underground, there was a small cat enjoying some sunshine. We called to it, but it didn't react to our "kitty kitty's". It soon after ran down a hole that seemed to go under the main entry to Tomorrowland. Has anybody else seen cats living inside the park? There was no CM close by to ask.

Bytebear
01-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Yup, there are cats all over the park. They take care of the rodent population. They mostly come out at night, but it is not uncommon to see one or two in various areas of the park, usually in the bushes.

vfire
01-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Yup, there are cats all over the park. They take care of the rodent population. They mostly come out at night, but it is not uncommon to see one or two in various areas of the park, usually in the bushes.

I'm guessing the cats usually congregate around two particular houses in Toontown then....

Bytebear
01-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Let's say they avoid rodents of unusual size.

geoffa
01-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Disneyland is home to feral cats -- nobody knows how many -- that mostly come out at night, after visitors leave. Years ago, more than 100 were discovered living inside Sleeping Beauty's castle.

dsnyredhead
01-27-2007, 02:30 AM
I have seen some employees take out cat food to the cats just to keep their "diets" varied. When we saw this once we talked to one of the employees who said that the cats are rounded up and do get their shots, etc. They are taken care of by Disney and they help keep the rat population in check.

Malcon10t
01-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Disney does a good job spaying/neutering the cats, and keeping their shots up. I believe the are tattooed so the can track whose needing what. There are several back by Hungry Bear, and a few around Jungle Cruise.

jcruise86
01-27-2007, 08:04 AM
There was a good thread going about these cats a few months ago where people posted pictures of some of them. Darkbeer took some of them. I don't know how to find old threads. One woman eloquently remarked (I forget her exact words), "Leave it Disney; even the cats are beautiful."

bradk
01-27-2007, 09:40 AM
here's one i managed to get. minor exposure issue, but i literally had to run and use a telephoto shot to get it since they don't exactly come up to you

http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116#69918004

i remember someone posting a shot of a cat laying by the railroad tracks or something

Califgirl
01-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I often see the cats at DCA lounging under the train, near the outdoor portion of Taste Pilots dining area.

Katran
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
There are several back by Hungry Bear....

So I'm NOT crazy (well, about seeing a cat anyway, lol). I thought I saw one over that way on my last visit, but it disappeared so fast that I wasn't sure.

el gee
01-27-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info, it's good to know that they take care of them. The one we saw was beautiful and looked very healthy.:) Maybe we cat lovers could play -"find the hidden kitties"!

Mickeygirlforever
01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
We always usually see one. We usually see them up by the old Skyway entrance. Last time, we were suprised to find one climbing on the rocks in DCA right across from the ice cream parlor. I never knew Disney kept them, I thought they just got in somehow. Very interesting.....
ps. we did see 2 mice last time so I'm assuming it was the cats day off:)

jcruise86
01-27-2007, 02:41 PM
The only problem is that whenever Mickey sees one he flips out.

King of the Frogs
01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Go downstairs (lower dining patio on RoA), walk north on the little walkway at the canoe end, and look to your left, on the berm.

You'll see several "cathouses" in the bushes, usually with napping felines sprawled in the sun.

Do NOT make mouse noises - that would be very dangerous!

There's a reason Mickey lives on the Island now - cats can't swim.....

Andrew
01-27-2007, 09:14 PM
cats can't swim.....
Can't they (http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/01/unpossible.html)?

Gone2Disneyland
01-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Can't they (http://mfrost.typepad.com/cute_overload/2007/01/unpossible.html)?
That...is...AWESOME! :p Thanks for sharing the post.

Mr.Abominable
01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I know this is about the cats but, on Halloween night, after leaving the Party at DCA, we saw a huge Opossum on the grassy hill above Bug's Life. It walked down to the edge of the planter into the light and stopped. I know what you are thinking, how does he know what a Opossum looks like, but I used to see them while growing up in North Carolina. It was pretty cool to see. I always wonder what else might be hiding out, especially in Florida.

nvmom
01-28-2007, 08:05 AM
I always wonder what else might be hiding out, especially in Florida.
Ooh, let's not consider what else might be hiding out in Florida....ewww.
I am going to keep my eye for the Disney cats next trip. :)

nvmom

Katran
01-28-2007, 08:07 AM
we saw a huge Opossum on the grassy hill above Bug's Life.

Wow, I didn't even know they had Opossum in the Anaheim area. Am I just clueless about that, or did this little guy somehow get "imported" to the area?

MinnieMomma
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
The cats at DCA sometimes sleep out in the sun on the tracks by the train. No one can get to them there. We've fed them some chicken poppers at Pilots Grill, the 2 there just walked up to where we tossed it to them. But they don't want to get too close.

pirategal forever
01-28-2007, 09:39 AM
When I was visiting the park this past December, my friends and I saw a number of kitties when riding the Mark Twain. Some were asleep under the old mine train tracks toward the end of the ride. They were so very cute!

Class Bravo
01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Wow, I didn't even know they had Opossum in the Anaheim area. Am I just clueless about that, or did this little guy somehow get "imported" to the area?

There are possums all over the Southern CA area. When I lived in San Diego they were constantly walking around in my backyard at night. I've also seen a Coyote in Costa Mesa.

And now, regarding the cats--

I know this goes without saying, but I would just like to emphasize that if you see the cats you should never try to touch them. These cats are wild and they will respond defensively if you scare them. Back when I was a lead in Fantasyland I had more than one instance when people on my crew (against my wishes) tried to pet the nice kitties and I ended up having to cover the rest of their shift when they had to go to first aid with a deep bite mark and scratches all over their hand. If I recall correctly, on one occasion someone even needed stitches from their injury. The cats are pretty and do add to the ambiance, but be sure to stay away from them and definitely keep your kids from trying to touch them.

I'm sure that you all know this so please don't view this as me being condescending; I've just seen way too many situations in which a cute animal causes common sense to go out the window.

Katran
01-28-2007, 10:24 AM
There are possums all over the Southern CA area. When I lived in San Diego they were constantly walking around in my backyard at night. I've also seen a Coyote in Costa Mesa.

Oh wow, I feel totally dumb now! I really thought Opossums were more of an eastern U.S. critter. How uneducated am I? :rolleyes:

Thanks for not rubbing my nose in my ignorance, lol! :D

aricbell
01-28-2007, 10:36 AM
There are also alot of kitties by the Hungry Bear Restaurant in Critter Country.