PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Planning DVD?

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 09:24 AM
A few weeks ago while on the DL website I noticed an advertisement to order a Disneyland Vacation DVD. So I signed up for one, but I haven't received it yet. Has anyone else gotten one yet? Is it new or is it the old version? Is it for DL or is it like the 50th one that was mostly WDW with just a little section on DL?

Michelle

just beatla33
01-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I know I did it 3 times before and never received anything so I just stopped

Katran
01-26-2007, 09:26 AM
I got mine, but it took a LONG time! Like maybe two months.

It's a new one that shows both parks, but I really didn't find that it showed anything new.

AlbertaMinnie
01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, it is new and it does cover both parks. Keep trying though. I requested mine, and in 6 weeks requested another which only took 3 weeks to receive...maybe I'll get 2??? lol It's worth it! Don't give up - just give them some time.

vfire
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
It took about two months to arrive but it finally did. It's most WDW, but it does have a DLR section. My three year old son loves it, especially the "Cool Stuff for Kids" section in the WDW section. He watches this free DVD more than the few dozen DVDs that I've bought for him so I'd say it's worth a request or two or three...

mistofviolets
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
The one we ordered last summer wasn't all that impressive. My kids found that it didn't really help with any "planning"; LOL; which was what they wanted...to prepare.

Just my 2 cents...are other versions more practical?

Donald Duck Fan68
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Mine took about a month to arrive. It has the "Million Dreams" flavor to it and my kids like to watch it for seeing some of the rides. As far as planning goes, it's a good resource to start with, but I've found this site to be one of the best for the more detail orientated questions.

I usually always order those "free planning DVDs" from Disney simply because they highlight what's new and it gives me a bit of a park fix. In the past, they've always emphasized or been exclusive to WDW. This is the first one I've received that had a DLR section.

abookworm
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I ordered one too but it's only been 2 wks-now I'm wondering if I'll get it in time for our trip in a month?
It really ticks me off when they offer these types of things so you can spend YOUR money on THEIR products/services and then you don't get it in a timely manner.....makes no sense!

Micmarie
01-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I recieved mine in abt 4 weeks, as previously stated it didn't help with the planning but it added to the excitement of going!

Katran
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
It really ticks me off when they offer these types of things so you can spend YOUR money on THEIR products/services and then you don't get it in a timely manner.....makes no sense!

You shouldn't have had to pay anything for the DVD. It's free.

And "timely manner" is a matter of perspective. If demand far outweighs supply, 1-2 months may not be that bad of a wait. Most things I've ordered from other sites say to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery, especially if they're free.

abookworm
01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
You shouldn't have had to pay anything for the DVD. It's free.

And "timely manner" is a matter of perspective. If demand far outweighs supply, 1-2 months may not be that bad of a wait. Most things I've ordered from other sites say to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery, especially if they're free.

I didn't mean pay for the DVD, I meant the DVD is a promotion for YOU to spend money at THEIR resort-you'd think they'd want you to get it in a timely manner.
The faster you get it the more likely you are to reserve hotel, meals, etc. If your excitement starts to dwindle over a 2+ mos wait then Disney has lost out on some of that spending.

If they need more supply then make them for goodness sake-it costs them pennies for the resulting millions they make off the marketing.

Duh to Disney, it's just good business sense is what I was saying.

BraMax
01-27-2007, 07:16 AM
We live in Canada and the new planning DVD wasn't available to us until the new year anyways I ordered one and like a week later one came in the mail. Then I seen that it had my husbands name on it and it was my name on the one that I ordered. He must of ordered one and never told me. So we have his and mine is still yet to come. It's been 3 weeks and they said that I should get it with in 3 weeks time. So we'll see if it comes this coming week or not. I wanted to use it to get the kids excited as we leave Feb 3rd.

Katran
01-27-2007, 07:49 AM
I didn't mean pay for the DVD, I meant the DVD is a promotion for YOU to spend money at THEIR resort....

Sorry. I was going to say, if you paid for it you got ripped off!

-you'd think they'd want you to get it in a timely manner.

Again, "timely manner" is all a matter of personal perspective. To me, 2 months is an entirely normal and usual delivery time for a free item.

The faster you get it the more likely you are to reserve hotel, meals, etc. If your excitement starts to dwindle over a 2+ mos wait then Disney has lost out on some of that spending.

I don't know anyone who books a trip to a place like Disneyland any sooner because of receiving a DVD, nor do I know anyone whose excitement "dwindles" if they don't get that DVD right away. People plan trips like this when they can afford to, when they can get the time off work, etc. Most people who live outside of the state of California have to plan months in advance due to the cost of transportation, hotel rooms, etc. People who live close enough to Disneyland that they don't have to worry about those expenses probably don't need any DVD to plan their trip with.

I'm sorry, but your argument just doesn't make any sense at all. It sounds like you're just angry because you didn't get your DVD immediately. Have some patience. It's not as if it really helps you plan your trip anyway. You can get vastly more helpful information off of Disneyland's website or from sites like this. Anyone who relies primarily on that DVD to plan their trip (or any of their DVD's from what I've seen of them) is going to be very poorly planned indeed.

abookworm
01-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Katran-never mind, you don't get it

Have fun on your trip-I see it's only days away!

Katran
01-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Katran-never mind, you don't get it

Like I said, your argument just doesn't make sense. I don't know anyone who relies on the DVD to plan their trip. It really just doesn't contain enough info. All it's meant for is to get you interested (which you already are if you're ordering it) and show you something that might possibly be new since your last visit. For the purpose it's intended for, there's no reason for it to arrive in a hurry. The amount of time it takes for the DVD to arrive will not have any bearing on the vast majority of people's decisions to go or not go. If that is their deciding factor, then that's pretty darn shallow.

And once again, "timely manner" is a matter of perspective. You are simply less patient than I am, which says a lot as I am not normally a very patient person.

abookworm
01-27-2007, 06:20 PM
It has nothing to do with me being patient or angry! I'm neither impatient nor angry about this (rolling eyes)-my comment was directed at businesses in general offering promotional material then not sending them quickly to enhance their chances of profit. Many comments were made about the DVD arriving very late or not at all-this is what I was commenting about about-not my experience.
It's about a business practice period.
nuff said-unsubbing so my head doesn't explode from explaining the logic again

Katran
01-27-2007, 10:54 PM
...not sending them quickly to enhance their chances of profit.

And again, it's all a matter of perspective, as I've stated over and over and you just either can't or refuse to grasp. And in the case of Disneyland or DisneyWorld, once again, how fast a DVD arrives will really have no effect on whether or not someone decides to make the trip.

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill about this.

It has nothing to do with me being patient or angry!

Funny, you're the one who said (emphasis added):

It really ticks me off when they offer these types of things so you can spend YOUR money on THEIR products/services and then you don't get it in a timely manner.....

cfitz/pirates
01-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Im in Canada as well, mine only took two weeks to be delivered. My daughter and myself really enjoyed the DVD ithas both Disney land and Disney world. I hope you reieve it soon.

samsma
01-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Iam glad to hear yours came so quickly! I didn't know that it was now in Canada until it was posted on this thread, so I ordered it the other day. I hope it comes before we leave, although I doubt I could be any more excited than I am already.

kiwifuz
01-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I can see what abookworm is saying, why offer a marketing tool all over your website if you don't have enough to get them out in a timely matter. Sorry but I can see that being very unprofessional.

True it won't make or break most people's vacations, but I'd have to think it has some bearing on some. Especially for people that aren't on message boards like this, or regular visitors, not knowing that much about what that park has to offer might make people want to spend less time and thus less money at the park.

I'd just think that if I were Disney I would hide the opportunity to receive one of those DVDs until I have more available...

But any who, they're really never very informative anyway, at least that I've found.

AngelBear
01-28-2007, 03:21 PM
I had to order 3 before finally getting one. But I write that off to mail people along the way taking it (along with my Victoria Secret catalogs). We know our mail guy does that - there's been complaints but they do nothing about it. And a relative used to work in the system and says it happens all the time. (Not all, I know, but some ruin it for everybody)

Just thought I'd throw that out there. It may not be Disney's fault at all.

Having said that, I'll have to order a new one - I didn't know there was an updated one out! Yay!

Katran
01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I can see what abookworm is saying, why offer a marketing tool all over your website if you don't have enough to get them out in a timely matter. Sorry but I can see that being very unprofessional.

True, but since we don't know if that's the issue, I found his post to be very judgemental and assuming. He admitted he's "ticked off" (his words), yet he doesn't even know the reason for what he sees as a too-long shipping time. It may simply be a matter of how far away you live from the nearest distribution center, at what time of month you order (perhaps they ship several dates' worth of orders all at once), or as AngelBear said, it may have everything to do with the post office and nothing to do with Disney or their distributor. I used to work at the post office and have several friends and relatives who still do, and I know exactly what AngelBear is talking about. Your post indicates that you assume that they don't have enough to cover their orders, but I only threw that out there in a previous post as a possible reason. I never said that was a definite, nor should anyone assume it is.

My issue, which I've stated over and over but which seems to be ignored, is that whether the shipping time is too long or not is vastly determined by your own personal experiences and preferences. As I've said, I've found that free stuff can often take 4-6 weeks or longer, so it doesn't bother me to wait that long. I've found it to be the norm, so I am always pleasantly surprised if something like that arrives within a month.

To see someone get so "ticked off" over a FREE video just bugs me, and then try to make grandiose claims about people deciding not to take a Disney vacation just because their DVD didn't come as quickly as they like, well that's just preposterous. It's not that important.

my2princesses
01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
I received my vacation planning DVD today!!!! I like it a lot more than the old DVD's. It shows a lot more of the rides. I haven't gotten a chance to check out the vacation planning part of the DVD, but so far so good:)

Michelle