PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Beauty Walkthrough?

Pages : [1] 2

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Did they ever reopen the Slepping Beauty Walkthru attraction? If so, is it still open besides when the castle is in refurb? Also has anyone encountered Jack Sparrow and his bilage pirates running around in New Orleans Square like AVP's thread mentioned?

Michelle

just beatla33
01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
that hasn't be opened in ni-on 20 years...well I exagerate

MollyTrolly
01-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Last I heard tehre were no plans to reopen the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough which I hope isnt the case. I remember that more than almost anything from visiting DL as a small child. Hopefully they can find a way to get it back open eventually.

I havent seen Jack Sparrow, but there are a band of pirates that come out for quick shows. They are great.

Darkbeer
01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
They actually removed some of the Dioramas from the Castle Walkthrough, and placed them in the Emporium windows. I seriously doubt it will ever reopen.

Pretty much storage and Cast Member access....

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
<that hasn't be opened in ni-on 20 years...well I exagerate>

Well it was supposed to reopen sometime around the 50th celebration, but I never heard anymore. It was open in 95' so yes a little exageration:)

just beatla33
01-26-2007, 09:05 AM
that topic was brought up awhile ago and there is no plas to bring it back only because there is no room, it was just a tiny hallway, once you get a big family to stop and look at a scene, it causes a backup. I just say watch the movie at home, its easier

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Wow you guys are quick:)
That's what I thought, but I wanted to give it a shot:)

Andrew
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
The Castle walkthrough closed on October 7, 2001, shortly after noon (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/mouadvoct7-02.htm) and has not been open since.

Darkbeer
01-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Oh yes, it is also being used for Characters to change into outfits, they used this for the White Which and the Villian's Lair. They sneak in out of costume at the old attraction entrance, get into character and apply make-up, and then use the old exit to enter the Meet and Greet area, then after they are done, they go back inside thru the old exit, remove much of the costuming, and basically place a large overcoat themselves, and the casually walk out of the castle thru the old entrance and stroll backstage unnoticed.

Katran
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
The Castle walkthrough closed on October 7, 2001, shortly after noon (http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/mouadvoct7-02.htm) and has not been open since.

I found several sites that said it closed permanently in 2003.

Either way, it's closed now.

Andrew
01-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Either way, it's closed now.
I believe that the Castle walkthrough was listed as "closed for refurbishment" from October 2001 through sometime in 2003; in 2003 it was simply removed from the attractions list as if it never existed.

Katran
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Ah, well that could explain the discrepancies. Not that I didn't trust your post. I just wondered why so many other sites had a different year listed, but your answer makes total sense.

alexandrasmom
01-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Did they ever reopen the Slepping Beauty Walkthru attraction? If so, is it still open besides when the castle is in refurb? Also has anyone encountered Jack Sparrow and his bilage pirates running around in New Orleans Square like AVP's thread mentioned?

Michelle
I saw Jack Sparrow 2 weeks ago and my DD took a picture with him, but he was not with any other pirates. He totally looked the part.

Here is the pic: http://www.ssb9.net/users/37739/dsc03229.jpg

geoffa
01-26-2007, 12:02 PM
Wikipedia (which is as reliable as the posters to it) says:

Beginning April 29, 1957, visitors were able to walk through the castle and view several dioramas depicting the story of Sleeping Beauty. The walk-through experience was discontinued in 2001 and it is widely speculated that this was in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11th. Another theory, however, speculates that the closure was necessary because of the inability to accommodate handicapped guests.

At DLRP there is a walk around balcony inside Le chateau de la Belle dormant au bois" (Sleeping Beauty's castle) which tells the story in stained glass windows and fibre optic tapestries. In the dungeon is an animatronic dragon that breathes smoke:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~dawnsue/disney/disglas2.jpg

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~dawnsue/disney/disglas1.jpg

http://www.mousesavers.com/Graphic%20Files/dragon.JPG

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I saw Jack Sparrow 2 weeks ago and my DD took a picture with him, but he was not with any other pirates. He totally looked the part.

Here is the pic: http://www.ssb9.net/users/37739/dsc03229.jpg

That is so cool that your DD got a picture with Captain Jack. My DD would love to see him. She just loves him and has been asking if he will be at DL. I am going to show her your DD's picture. She will be thrilled. We will be at DL for 4 days in Feb so hopefully we will be able to find Jack when we are there. Did you find him in New Orleans Square?

Thanks for the picture:)

Michelle

jeffthechef
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I asked a cast member last September and they blamed it on the treat of terrorism.:crying:

tigga please
01-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I asked a cast member last September and they blamed it on the treat of terrorism.:crying:

LOL @ "the treat of terrorism"

for those who dont remember, here is a vid with the walk through
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5n0g1CK9M

Another Dimension
01-26-2007, 03:31 PM
The Castle walkthrough closed on October 7, 2001, shortly after noon and has not been open since.

October 7, 2001, shortly after noon, is the correct date and info...

Also... Disneyland (Matt Ouimet) has admitted in different interviews (on MI), that the reason the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthru closed was due to SBC being specifically targeted on terrorist videos. :mad:

alexandrasmom
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
That is so cool that your DD got a picture with Captain Jack. My DD would love to see him. She just loves him and has been asking if he will be at DL. I am going to show her your DD's picture. She will be thrilled. We will be at DL for 4 days in Feb so hopefully we will be able to find Jack when we are there. Did you find him in New Orleans Square?

Thanks for the picture:)

Michelle
Yes, he was in New Orleans square. If you are standing in front of the POTC, he was to the right a ways, just up a few of the stairs that connect the two walkways toward the HM. He really wasn't obvious and would be easy to miss. It was dusk, just getting dark, and he was not there very long. Right after seeing him we were getting food at Bengal BBQ and he walked quickly through the line and into the shop right next to it. He was super sweet to my DD, calling her princess, bending down to her level, and trying to engage her in conversation (she is shy about talking, but not hugging!) It was the highlight of our trip- my DD was Jack Sparrow for Halloween last year and loves pirates.

Best of luck- I hope you see him!

Katran
01-26-2007, 06:44 PM

October 7, 2001, shortly after noon, is the correct date and info...

I know, that's why I told Andrew that I trusted his post, but was just curious as to why some sites listed a 2003 closure date. He already answered that question.

MinnieMomma
01-26-2007, 06:58 PM
A friend and I were standing in Jewel of Orleans last Sunday afternoon waiting to make a payment on a piece of jewelry when Capt. Jack leaned over our shoulders and pointed out what he wanted us to buy for him. He stayed and chatted with us along those lines for quite a while, he was very funny. I didn't see his "handler" anyplace around him. By the time people realized he was there and started gathering in the doorway, he made a quick escape out the other door. He looks and acts the part really well.

Katran
01-26-2007, 07:01 PM
By the time people realized he was there and started gathering in the doorway, he made a quick escape out the other door.

Lol, that does sound like typical Jack Sparrow behavior! :p

Lost Boy
01-26-2007, 07:14 PM
The reason for closing the walk through was done long before we got involved with "Terrorism". The reasons are simple.

1. Same reason they took out The Skyway. No Wheelchair Access.

2. Kids where using the darkened hallways to "Do It" as they say on That 70's Show. They were constantly finding USED condoms all over the hallway floor after the Park closed. Nasty but true. I knew several custondians who found that clean up duty more punishement than job.

dsnydon
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
It closed the day after 9-11, I doubt it will ever reopen:crying:

cstephens
01-26-2007, 09:31 PM
1. Same reason they took out The Skyway. No Wheelchair Access.

Ummm, wrong. Since it was already in place, it would have been grandfathered so it wasn't required. The treehouse isn't wheelchair accessible and it hasn't been closed.