PDA

View Full Version : Autograph questions

hickorydickory
01-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Do the characters sign their names in cursive writing or do they print their names?
My DD is a beginning reader & can only read printing. She is really excited to read new names... one of the first 50 words she read was Disney!

Is it bad manners to take a picture & sign an autograph? Does that take too much time? I assume we should have the book open to a blank page and ready....correct?

Thanks

TiggerRPh
01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Do the characters sign their names in cursive writing or do they print their names?

It really depends on the character....Mickey I believe prints, Minnie does cursive for example.

My DD is a beginning reader & can only read printing. She is really excited to read new names... one of the first 50 words she read was Disney!

Believe me....once she gets a Cinderella or Snow White even if it's in cursive...she'll recognize it.

Is it bad manners to take a picture & sign an autograph? Does that take too much time? I assume we should have the book open to a blank page and ready....correct?

Not bad manners at all...in fact it's pretty much the norm. It doesn't take too much time if as you said you have the book open and pen ready to write. Do the autograph first, then take the picture.

my2princesses
01-26-2007, 08:47 AM
They each sign their name their own way, but most of them sign in print. Have the book open to a blank page and pen ready. After they sign the book they always pose for a picture:)

Michelle

samsma
01-26-2007, 08:48 AM
They actually sign their names.They do a lot of artwork with them too.My daughter had a combo scrapbook/aotograph book that we bought before the trip and it is fabulous.The characters signed their names,and we cut out the pictures of them signing the book and put that in to.What an excellent keepsake.I recommend getting a book before you go as the ones they sell are just little, and don't allow for much more than a quick signature.

hickorydickory
01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
WOW... you guys are fast! Thanks :)

Maybe she will learn cursive while we are there then! She is a really bright kid so it wouldn't surprise me .... who said there was no educational value to Disneyland :p :p :p

Katran
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Not bad manners at all...in fact it's pretty much the norm. It doesn't take too much time if as you said you have the book open and pen ready to write. Do the autograph first, then take the picture.

Agreed. We always, always, always take pictures with the characters right after they sign the kids' books, and so does pretty much everyone else I've ever stood in line with. And I've often heard the CM's ask people in line to make sure their autograph books are open and pens are ready.

nvmom
01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
We didn't buy the autograph books they sell at DLR. We made our own. I bought a small 4x6 photo album from the Dollar Store. I actually re-made the covers (w/scrapbooking supplies) for each child. We take plain 4x6 index cards with us to the park. We put a stack of them on a minature 4x6 clipboard and hand that to the character. I can't tell you how many CMs told us what a great plan this was. The little clipboard made it so easy for the characters to sign. When we get home we slip the index card w/the autograph and then the picture in the facing page.

There's always questions about what pens are good. We always take a click top Sharpie (no lid to deal with)... but I've heard others here say the characters don't like Sharpies. We like the Sharpie because it copies well. Sometimes if there's a long line we'll just have the character sign 1 autograph (rather than 3-one for reach child) and then when we're home we scan it in and print out 2 more for the other 2 books. :)

nvmom

Donald Duck Fan68
01-26-2007, 05:26 PM
I like watching Goofy sign his name. Most of the time he held the book up to his eyes as he signed his name. Looking through my daughter's autograph book, there was mostly cursive autographs. However, any of the signatures that could be classified as "print" still had a lot of curves or individual touches to them that made them look more on the cursive side. When she got Chip's signature, it was printed, but he added a drawing of his face in with the signature. I like the idea of adding that picture next to the signature.

geoffa
01-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Here's a copy of our signed photo from Grand Californian:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/mickey%20and%20co%20signed.jpg

lilfaeriebrat
01-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I've worked as a character before and I think the sharpees are good. You don't have to worry about the pen not working and it's easier to see the sharpee ink through the peek holes then a normal pen. You can also use crayola markers but get the fatter pens. Now that there's the click sharpees those things have to be a blessing for the characters. I remember when kids would come up and they'd have their books open but the lid would still be on the pen and it was a pain to remove the lid with large fuzzy hands.

Katran
01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Here's a copy of our signed photo from Grand Californian:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/mickey%20and%20co%20signed.jpg

Cute picture! :D

I remember when kids would come up and they'd have their books open but the lid would still be on the pen and it was a pain to remove the lid with large fuzzy hands.

In the past my kids have had pens with caps, but I always made sure the caps were off before they handed them to the characters. I've seen plenty of them struggle with those caps, so I understand what a pain it is.