PDA

View Full Version : A (very early) idea for Mickey's Halloween Treat...

Abigail's Uncle
01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Last year we wore coordinating costumes; we got tons of great comments and were also blown away by other people's amazing outfits. It seems that every year the costumes at MHT have gotten more elaborate and clever.

So I was thinking today how cool it would be if they had a costume contest. Maybe to make it less of a "competition," it could really be more of a costume parade where people could come out on a stage just to show off their brilliant creations. Maybe there could even be one an hour or something so people can rotate through without tying up their night.

I dunno, I guess the emphasis is more more in rides, booths and character stations, but I thought it might be cool to showcase some of the attendees' creativity.

Abigail's Uncle
01-27-2007, 06:11 AM
All apologies - I forgot the most important part of my post - which is to ask do you think this idea could work, and even if you think it might be possible to suggest to the powers that be.

While I'm at it, I'd like to throw an ethical-type question out there. I know it's absurdly early to be thinking about costumes for MHT (hey, we're a very Type-A group), but here's my question: if I were considering a costume which included a prop (NOT real) cigar, cigarette, or hookah do you think: (a) it would be allowed into the park and (b) if it is allowed into the park, would it be ethically wrong to bring it?

mulansgirl
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I think a hooka would be pushing it unless you are the catapiller from alice. I dont think they would have too much of a problem with a cigarett since they do have smoking areas. I normally go with better safe than sorry, if you feel there is something wrong with it, then you should not do it. But that is just how I think.

And in a way isnt all of DCA a huge stage to display costumes during the event. I just think people would feel left out if it ended before they got to show their costume or did not get the huge applause the person before them got. It's a good idea but I am afraid of it becoming a dissapointment for some like the Jedi training.

disneyperson
01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
And in a way isnt all of DCA a huge stage to display costumes during the event. I just think people would feel left out if it ended before they got to show their costume or did not get the huge applause the person before them got. It's a good idea but I am afraid of it becoming a dissapointment for some like the Jedi training.
I agree with Mulansgirl (Hi Mulansgirl!:D ) I don't think a special display area is needed. It was great just to wander around and see all the costumes. I only wish I lived closer so I could attend on more than one evening.

By the way, it's never too early to plan Halloween costumes. ;)

missmonkey
01-27-2007, 03:23 PM
The Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco manages to run a costume contest in the midst of a race with thousands of people. You get a number when you register for the race, of course. The judging area is placed near the end of the course. If you want to participate in the costume contest, you veer off of the main course on to the alternate path that parallels the main course. This self-selection makes it clear who wants to participate in the contest. The judges sit in an area where they can observe the contestants.

All the contestant has to do is sashay past the judges' table and make sure that his/her/their (for group entries) race number(s) are visible. Winners are notified by mail after the event and, I think, are listed in the city paper as well.

This sounds like an ideal set-up for such a people-heavy event as the Halloween party. Now they just have to settle on prizes. The B2B contest was sponsored by Southwest Airlines and they gave cash prizes. Would you be more interested in winning cash or Disney-related swag?

Abigail's Uncle
01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I think a hooka would be pushing it unless you are the catapiller from alice. I dont think they would have too much of a problem with a cigarett since they do have smoking areas.

Of course, I meant something like the caterpillar from Alice (I can't think of many other costumes for which a hookah is integral!).

Or in the case of Sherlock Holmes, sure you could wear a deerstalker and cloak (maybe hold a magnifying glass), but without the prop pipe in your mouth you're just not Holmes!

It's funny you mentioned cigarettes; I would think those WOULD be more of a problem since pipes, hookahs, even cigars are a little bit "broader" as props (if that makes any sense).

Heck, this thought just occurred to me: does anyone know if the Cruella De Vil charatcer at the park holds a cigarette? I would be VERY surprised if she does.

alexandrasmom
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Heck, this thought just occurred to me: does anyone know if the Cruella De Vil charatcer at the park holds a cigarette? I would be VERY surprised if she does.

I have seen her several times- but never with a cigarette!