PDA

View Full Version : AP Question, So Cal versus Deluxe AP

MollyTrolly
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Ok so assuming DD makes it through the next week and a half with good marks :) (which I think she will) we are going to take the next step in my plan to turn my kids into Disney fanatics and get her (and therefore me too) APs...interesting how I worked that huh.

My plan will be to hopefully take her at least once a month, plus I can go solo from time to time when I need a day off (I get LOTS of vacation from work so I take days that DH doesnt because he cant keep up). I dont plan on going during the summer much because its too hot and we have other activities we do then anyway. Plus we have a three day (wed-fri) family trip planned for October that we do every year.

So, I was planning on just getting the So Cal AP (because I want the option to go on Sundays just in case). But when I look at the price difference between the So Cal and the regular deluxe AP it seems like its worth it to pay a bit more to have all those extra days especially around Christmas and in case we want to go on a summer day on a whim (with Nemo opening and all).

DH will probably get an AP when we go in Oct (because it not that much mor eat that point but theres no reason to get him one right now and DS isnt even 2 yet so I can take him sometimes and leave him others because he is free. Its mostly going to be a Mommy / DD thing for now.

So for those So Cal APs, what do you think, is it worth the extra money to get the reg deluxe AP, I definitely know I dont need the premium because I dont go on Saturdays anyway.

Thanks

Bytebear
01-24-2007, 03:11 PM
The price difference between the two passes is $69. To go on a blackout date, it costs $35 (I think). This means if you want to go even twice on black out days, you will make up the difference. Of course you can upgrade on a black out day (and even on a Deluxe blackout day). Remember the day you buy the pass, the day is not blacked out ever. We get deluxe passes and add parking to one pass. This is mainly because in the summer we like to hit the park after work when the sun is still out, and the park stays open late.

just beatla33
01-24-2007, 03:11 PM
it's probably worth getting as many days as you can cause you never know. My fiance an dI go for the Premium even if we just go twice a month cause you never know if someone wants to go with you and instead of working around your time, you can just go whenever. Plus we get our pass money's worth usually in three months so its like free money

PanFan
01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
With the Deluxe, you get a discount at most of the restaurants in the park. I would also highly recommend parking on one pass--then you can justify coming for just a couple of hours. It makes "spur of the moment" much easier. DH and I live in Santa Clarita as well and (at least for us) going just to see the fireworks or for 2 hours just so I could get my birthday button before meeting everyone somewhere else wasn't out of the question (though I may be of a completely different breed--I now drive down at least three times a week to work there--most people think I'm nuts!).

Darkbeer
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
First off, the Deluxe and Socal AP's get the exact same disccount.

The price difference between a regular SoCal AP ($149) and a Deluxe ($239) is $90.

So the question is, is the few extra days in summer worth the $90 to you, or could you do something else with it. You could take the money and buy 2 Knott's AP's (They have kid's AP pricing) and have money left over. They have no blockout dates, and you could get some variety and get to experence more for the same amount of money, use the Knott's AP's on days Disneyland is blocked out.

Or go to the movies, Universal regular AP's are also less than $180 for 2 folks, though I don't think USH has a lot of young kids to do.

Or since you live in Santa Clarita, get a Six Flags SP, you can get a FREE Child SP (under 48") thru the end of February, so that is $60 for both of you, and there is actually a lot of kids to do a SFMM, between Bugs Bunny World, the Character Interaction, the Petting Zoo and the water rides and of course the shows, this could be another good option instead of a Deluxe AP.

MollyTrolly
01-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies,

I thought about Magic Mountain I had an AP there when I was younger, that may be a good option especially with the water park (that I admit I have only been to once). DH hates coasters (which I love them go figure) which is probably why I didnt even think of it.

I guess I just need to decide how much we really may be going and how much I need those extra summer days which is really the big difference.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-25-2007, 11:22 AM
After many years of the SoCal AP we are upgrading this weekend to a deluxe (I guess I will have to laser off our tatoos :) ).

My DH finally is in a shift rotation that allows him to have saturdays off for 8 months this year, and we have decided that it is easier on the kids to take them out of school for a long weekend, rather than pulling them out midweek.

With that said, I still don't see us using the passes during the summer, but I would like to know I have that flexibility.

Maybe next year, when his shifts are mostly weekdays off we will switch back, thought we would give it a try and if we don't get our money's worth, then back to the SoCal AP we go.

Tisha
01-25-2007, 08:10 PM
I think it all depends. Last year I had a So Cal and it served me fine. I was a college student and only had classes 2 days a week. I went often on weekdays and Sundays. It was a little tough having most of the summer blocked though.

This year I'm student teaching and will therefore be busy Monday through Friday. The only time I have off is weekends and summer, so I found it well worth it to go for the Deluxe this time.