PDA

View Full Version : Any food outlets to avoid in Disneyland/DCA?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

mask41
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I have seen so many highly recommended food spots, I thought it might be easier to get a list of spots "to miss" as opposed to those "not to miss". I know we don't like to say anything negative about DL but maybe a few suggestions of spots that aren't anything special or good ones to skip over?
Thanks,
Amy

my2princesses
01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
We did not like the Village Haus next to pinnochio.:eek:

Michelle

hlbtimes2
01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I 2nd the vote to skip Village Haus. I've been told it has changed / improved in the few years since we last ate there. I'm not willing to spend my money to find out.

just beatla33
01-24-2007, 12:13 PM
The Haus is the same as Tomorrowland Terrace. Disney uses the same food, the salads are the same everywhere and fries are the same everywhere. DL food is like play dough, after awhile it taste the same its just molds in different forms of food. But the Monte Cristo and the corn dog are probably the best

Wendi
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
The focaccia sandwiches at Tomorrowland Terrace are yucko!!!

lisap
01-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I don't care for the Village Haus because the interior is dark and the order/pick-up lines are often crowded. My kids like the pizza/salad combo there, though. We like the food at Award Wieners, but the seating is sparse and right on the main walkway. I guess I have more criticisms about the atmosphere than the actual food...:rolleyes:

abookworm
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM
The Haus is the same as Tomorrowland Terrace. Disney uses the same food, the salads are the same everywhere and fries are the same everywhere. DL food is like play dough, after awhile it taste the same its just molds in different forms of food.
:~D I'm sure it's true but too funny!

hbquikcomjamesl
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
I've never heard anything good said about Taste Pilots' Grill.

At the other extreme, the Blue Bayou has excellent prime rib, and the Plaza Inn has some of the best chicken I've eaten anywhere.

Disneynerd
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
It's very difficult to get good pizza or burgers anywhere in the park. I do not enjoy the restaurant in NOS by the HM.

Andrew
01-24-2007, 02:44 PM
I've never heard anything good said about Taste Pilots' Grill.I like Taste Pilot's Grill. The variety is good and the toppings bar is pretty extensive.

... the Plaza Inn has some of the best chicken I've eaten anywhere.
I prefer the French Market's fried chicken, but the Plaza Inn's is very good.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-24-2007, 02:53 PM
For everything there is a first time. :p

Alisonsmom
01-24-2007, 03:49 PM
It's very difficult to get good pizza or burgers anywhere in the park. I do not enjoy the restaurant in NOS by the HM.

I have to second that. The pizza and the burgers are no good anywhere in the park. My kid doesn't even like the pizza. Now that's saying something :-)

Gone2Disneyland
01-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Okay, this thread is reminding me of the two places I've been meaning to try out and haven't recently, Taste Pilots' Grill and the BBQ offerings that River Belle Terrace now has. Must do soon. :)

My only comment about restaurants to avoid (as a opposed to the food carts) and that the Tomorrowland Terrace and Village Haus (and similarly the Hungry Bear Restaurant) mentioned in earlier posts offer basically the same menus, and imo are on the lower rung of the selection Disneyland has to offer. They are more like the "fast food" style experience, i.e. you wait in line for burgers and you sit outside at plastic tables. You really can't expect it to be much more than that. Personally, I don't mind a burger from TT, VH or HBR when the mood hits me.

Up from there would be places like Redd Rockett's, the Plaza Inn, and River Belle, if only because their menus offer something different than burgers and they also have more indoor seating available (The VH does too, but it doesn't "feel" great, if you know what I'm trying to say - akin to what someone above meant when they said it's "dark" inside there).

Then you've got places like the Carnation Café now offering Monte Cristos and then the Blue Bayou.

I've been to all the places I've named in this post, and generally know what to expect when I choose any of them. I don't really hate any of them, I just know what on their menu I prefer more. I guess what I'm saying is it's not so much what places to avoid, as what you expect from each place. :)

bassett1976
01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I would skip basically everything on the wharf in DCA. We got sick at the Mexican food place, the bakery is okay but it can be missed. We really don't like the new menu at Hungry Bear, just not the same...

virgojmk
01-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Pizza Oom Mow Mow, had cardboard that tasted better $30+ for lunch, big mistake!

nmjohnston874
01-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I've never heard anything good said about Taste Pilots' Grill.

At the other extreme, the Blue Bayou has excellent prime rib, and the Plaza Inn has some of the best chicken I've eaten anywhere.

The last ttime I ate at BB, my wife was served, and I had a bite of, absolutely the worst prime ribe ever. It had the texture of shoe leather. Never again.

ESS Heckler
01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I like Taste Pilots......

I agree about avoiding on the Wharf in DCA

potzbie
01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
I have read the MousePlanet reviews of RANCHO DEL ZOCALO.

There seems to be a consensus that the right-side queue, where the tacos and burritos are served, are not up to guest standards, per their posted reviews.

I never have tried the right side (tacos, burritos, etc.), since I always eat from the left counter.
I also have done their left-most counter, where the salads are, and where the desserts are.
I have no complaints.

But I still remember the 2004 St. Louis BBQ ribs and BBQ chicken, which was super duper.
I am sorry to read that someone does not like TASTE PILOTS GRILL's ribs, since I would like to eat ribs inside DCA or Disneyland. I have not yet tried TASTE PILOTS GRILL. I'm willing to take a chance. I figure "poor ribs" beat "good tacos", any day. Am I right? :confused:

Bytebear
01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I love their burritos, but I also love their salads. I guess I avoid the middle station.

zombie pirate
01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
The burgers, and fries thru out the park taste like something out of the worst school cafeteria. yuck. The mexican food next to Big Thunder, taco salad is pretty good, good scenery, the mark twain, big thunder thundering past. Had to say that one, he he.

leota's necklace
01-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I also enjoyed my experience at Taste Pilot's. It beat the heck out of Hungry Bear, I'm afraid.

I was very surprised that I had a less-than-stellar experience at the Trattoria in DCA...a chicken caesar salad that was outright boring and a non-existant server. I think I'd like to give it another shot just to be sure.

I'd have to ditto the consensus on Village Haus. Pass.

bassett1976
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I was very surprised that I had a less-than-stellar experience at the Trattoria in DCA...a chicken caesar salad that was outright boring and a non-existant server. I think I'd like to give it another shot just to be sure.

WOW, this has become one of our favorite places to eat. The lasagna rustica is WONDERFUL!

soccerlady16
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
The counter at the Golden Horseshoe love the show but not the food. Rancho Del Zocalo has a decent enchilada plate.

rentayenta
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Village Haus and Tomorrowland Terrace- bleh!

Award Weiners in DCA is hit and miss. Cold hotdogs- bleh.

vfire
01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
The focaccia sandwiches at Tomorrowland Terrace are yucko!!!

Yes, they are likely to be quite soggy by the time you purchase them.