PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge & DVC

gpo
01-23-2007, 05:00 AM
I understand that the DVC is taking over floors 5 and 6 at AKL. My question is when and for how long. I am thinking of booking there in late Sept'07. Will there be construction going on there then?

efoxx
01-23-2007, 03:15 PM
my guess is that when they do it will be for all practicle purposes permanent. they will renovate the rooms to make them the same as the other DVC property. when the new DVC opens they may convert these rooms to some sort of suite not like the DVC's, but with the amount of work that will need to be done I doubt it.

stan4d_steph
01-24-2007, 06:54 AM
This addition to AKL is the first to really tempt me to join DVC. I loved my stay at AKL!

I have a feeling the cost would be prohibitive however.

donalddaduck
01-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I heard that they were building sometime in august.

geoffa
06-13-2007, 05:02 AM
They are converting floors 5 & 6 initially.These are due for completion from "Fall" 2007 estimated to be September if things are on time. The next part of AKL will be completed by December 2007.The extension on the LOdge is also scheduled to open December 2007. I doubt they will have any effect of your planned trip in September as the floors will be screened off from use until completion.
They will then build Kidani village in the shape of a ribbon (Kidani means ribbon) to the left of the existing AK Lodge. It will have its OWN private savannah with animals not currently fetured in the current one. Its pool area will be called Samawati (means Heavenly Place)Springs pool (with bar) and there will also be a water fun area called Uwanja Camp.

When I get more time I'll post up some picture links.

WDW heart
06-13-2007, 04:27 PM
They are converting floors 5 & 6 initially.These are due for completion from "Fall" 2007 estimated to be September if things are on time. The next part of AKL will be completed by December 2007.The extension on the LOdge is also scheduled to open December 2007. I doubt they will have any effect of your planned trip in September as the floors will be screened off from use until completion.
They will then build Kidani village in the shape of a ribbon (Kidani means ribbon) to the left of the existing AK Lodge. It will have its OWN private savannah with animals not currently fetured in the current one. Its pool area will be called Samawati (means Heavenly Place)Springs pool (with bar) and there will also be a water fun area called Uwanja Camp.

When I get more time I'll post up some picture links.

Wow that sounds really great!! Anybody know where they will be putting concierge? I thought they were on the 6th floor.

Tony
06-13-2007, 05:41 PM
If I recall the details, Concierge will move to the 4th floor.

WDW heart
06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
If I recall the details, Concierge will move to the 4th floor.

Thanks for the info!!

KJSJpipe
06-14-2007, 04:25 AM
What all does Concierge include at AKL?

geoffa
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
OK guys as promised some of the concept art for AK DVC extensions.

First of all a map showing location of Kidani Village and new private savannah in relation to existing AK lodge:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/kidanivillagemap.jpg

Kidani Village reception and front desk:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/ak%20kidani%20village%20reception.jpg

Samawati Springs Pool with DVC Kidani Village in background

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/samawatisprings.jpg

geoffa
06-14-2007, 08:08 AM
What all does Concierge include at AKL?

From Intercot:
INTERCOT > Info Central > Concierge Service

Moderator Add: Link to Web Site for more info. (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/accomodations/concierge.asp)

What in the “World” is Concierge?

Concierge rooms are normally located on a private floor, building or wing of the resort. They are key-lock access and come at a higher price. Each concierge level offers a special lounge for guests. Coffee and continental breakfast is available in the mornings, snacks during the lunch hour, hors d'oeuvres and wine before dinner, dinner items, and dessert and cordials for the evening.

KJSJpipe
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the info!

Burnt Toast
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
You also get access to special Cast Members that staff the concierge lounge that can pretty much help you out with anything that you need.

efoxx
06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
one small cautionary note about the AKL DVC project. in the paperwork and art work we recently received the new buildings were all marked as "proposed addition" or "proposed DVC buildings". I'm not sure if this is a legal matter, they don't have permits and therefore can't fully commit, or they will only move beyond "proposed" after they sell so many units. but until ground breaks and "proposed" moves past "planned" and becomes "under construction" nothing is if you will "cast in stone".

Tony
06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
You are correct that the 'proposed addition' language is legal boilerplate. When we made our original purchase ar Saratoga Springs, we got the same language. Any time the property is incomplete, and not ready for immediate occupancy, they have to include the legal disclaimer.

While there is always a risk that they wouldn't build Kidani village, the odds are pretty slim that they wouldn't finish it. SSR is almost sold out, and the sales numbers at AK are very strong. Once SSR is gone, AK is all they have to offer. So, just to be able to continue sales, they will need to have additional properties to sell...

geoffa
06-16-2007, 06:21 AM
The only way to know for sure would be to check plans at Orange County's RDMD Planning and Development. But I'm with Tony - they're just covering their butts.

deanglin
06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
We bought 180 points today @ the AKV!

Tony
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Congratulations!

DVC Mike
06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
We bought 180 points today @ the AKV!

Congratulations!! Welcome home, neighbor...

geoffa
06-27-2007, 03:45 AM
Welcome home! Hope every vacation is full of great memories.

swanie
06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
We're newbie owners at AKLV and have reservations for 9/30-10/10, but this posting from mousesavers has a little worried....

http://www.mousesavers.com/aklclosure.html

According to a reliable source, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge at Walt Disney World will be essentially closed for guests from now until Sept 1, 2007. (This date is subject to change.)

The temporary closure is due to disruption caused by the construction of Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas units within the main structure of the Lodge. Apparently the disruption was greater than anticipated and Disney has decided to move guests rather than inconvenience them during their stays.

Disney is calling guests who are currently booked at the Lodge in chronological order to assist them with moving to another resort. Guests have been offered rooms at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and at various Disney Deluxe resorts for the same price they were paying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Each case is handled differently, based on the room type booked and availability at other resorts for the dates in question.

If you booked through a travel agency, your travel agent will receive the call and will contact you with options.

It is believed that the restaurants will remain open but perhaps with limited hours.

Do any of you know how long the closure is "really" going to be?

swanie
MA Appreciation Society

DVC Mike
06-30-2007, 04:22 PM
The site that originally posted the information has made a revision. They now add:

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge at Walt Disney World will be mostly closed to guests from July 9 until Sept 1, 2007.

It appears a few rooms will remain in use, but not many. I have been told that the following room types probably will NOT be affected: Pool View Bunkbeds, Suites (except Vice Presidential and Presidential) and Kilimanjaro Club rooms with Standard View. Guests staying in those room types may request a move, but the decision to move them will be handled on a case by case basis.

LisaH
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
My husband, 2 children, and I booked a savanna view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge through AAA approximately a year ago for August 17 - Sept. 1, 2007. MousePlanet is the only website reporting that most of the rooms will be vacant during August, and AAA can give us no information. We have not received a call yet about changing our location and are wondering the following:

Have other Mouseplanet readers been called to change their reservation location from Animal Kingdom Lodge to another hotel? If so, when were their reservations scheduled for Animal Kingdom Lodge?

A previous posting mentions that the 'site' that originally reported the closing of rooms at Animal Kingdom Lodge has been revised. What site originally had the posting?

We are very excited about our trip to Disney and would like to know more than a few days in advance if our accomodations need to be changed. We'd like to get our kids excited about where we'll be staying, but now are afraid to discuss it as we may not be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge as originally planned.

Any experiences with being asked to change accomodations from, or any additional info. about the closures at, Animal Kingdom Lodge to somewhere else would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mouse Planet newcomer Lisa H. from NJ

geoffa
07-13-2007, 07:21 AM
So call Animal KIngdom Lodge direct - quote your rezzie number and ask:

407-938-3000