PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain

vfire
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
So sad to see Splash go down for a few months, do they really need that much time for a refurb? :crying:
In any case, I've read quite a few times that the WDW Splash is better than the DL one. What is that based on? I prefer the single column log to the dual column log.

MadasaHatter
01-22-2007, 11:24 PM
In my humble opinion the ride part of the rides at both parks are virtually the same but the animatronics are way better at WDW. They used a lot of Critters from AMERICA SINGS at Disneyland and while it is still good I do think that the visuals are sharper at WDW. Now before y'all get down my throat here I had been to DISNEYLAND toooons of times and only went to WDW once and was very critical about the rides so the fact that I remember that SPLASH was better at WDW is pretty huge being a DISNEYLAND fan first and foremost.

minniemom
01-23-2007, 01:30 AM
In my humble opinion the ride part of the rides at both parks are virtually the same but the animatronics are way better at WDW. They used a lot of Critters from AMERICA SINGS at Disneyland and while it is still good I do think that the visuals are sharper at WDW. Now before y'all get down my throat here I had been to DISNEYLAND toooons of times and only went to WDW once and was very critical about the rides so the fact that I remember that SPLASH was better at WDW is pretty huge being a DISNEYLAND fan first and foremost.

MadasaHatter,

I don't think you are off with what you said about Splash in WDW at all. I love DL, but this last spring went to WDW. I thought Splash was better there, but Space Mountain in WDW doesn't even come close to being as nice as DL.

PS. I like the dual log better than the single.

Vegitabeta
01-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I like sitting next to someone in the log, 'cos I'm a baby! lol Also, you can sit and talk to the person next to you, instead of having to turn round all the time:)

ralfrick
01-23-2007, 07:44 AM
In addition to what's been mentioned, I think the logs move too fast in DL, and the lighting is much better at WDW.

A bientot.

MouseMotor
01-23-2007, 07:48 AM
In addition to what's been mentioned, I think the logs move too fast in DL, and the lighting is much better at WDW.

A bientot.

That's exactly what I have always said. At DL the logs move through the "underground" at a very rapid pace. That is one of the main reasons I prefer WDW Splash over DL Splash. Plus I can hold onto the wife at WDW.

disneyhound
01-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Talking like a snotty 3-year-old, "But the one at DL is the original..." :eek:

Swan
01-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Oh, any idea what they're doing to the ride? When will it be open again?
Aww I'm such a n00b..

MadasaHatter
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
MadasaHatter,

I don't think you are off with what you said about Splash in WDW at all. I love DL, but this last spring went to WDW. I thought Splash was better there, but Space Mountain in WDW doesn't even come close to being as nice as DL.

PS. I like the dual log better than the single.

I am glad that my review seems accurate and the one consolation indeed with DL is that it is "the original" Splash Mtn!!! Space Mtn in WDW seemed like a kiddie ride to me!!! Really boring. All in all my quick reviews are HM the same almost exactly, POTC was good and a little different but was definitely created with SHORT ATTENTION SPAN THEATRE in mind and I liked DL much better. The Jungle Cruise was more realistic in WDW but I still like DL better for that 1955 feel and it is MORE real in the sense that WDW seemed more real but when the animals didn't skatter off it always made me aware that it was just a ride. My favorite was BTMRR in WDW as it wasn't BETTER per se just very very different and that made it exciting it was a different ride for a seasoned veteran like me. WDW has no TOAD or MATTERHORN which makes me scoff at that park too. YES, I am indeed an original fan dude too. Cannot wait for the NEMO SUBS!!!!

cstephens
01-23-2007, 11:07 AM
In any case, I've read quite a few times that the WDW Splash is better than the DL one. What is that based on? I prefer the single column log to the dual column log.

We didn't do Splash at WDW on our recent trip because it was down, but I do prefer WDW's over DL. The seating doesn't matter to me at all. WDW's Splash is a lot brighter and prettier and just more than DL's, even though DL has the nostalgia with the America Sings characters. It's one of the few things I like better at WDW than DL.

cookie7762
01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Oh, any idea what they're doing to the ride?

I don't know what they're doing to it but I am hoping just a revamp because the last time I was on splash (in august) I remember thinking that there were numerous repairs that needed to be made, such as the the turning water wheel on the river boat, it had this awful grime on it that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 10 years. Another part of the ride has a bird that I believe is supposed to be strumming spider webs hanging from a tree like a guitar, but some of the strings had fallen down and the ones that hadn't fallen had lost their taught-ness so the bird was just kinda backwards waving with a handful of strings in his other hand. SO maybe they are just fixing stuff like that

Darkbeer
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Oh, any idea what they're doing to the ride? When will it be open again?

Besides the normal refurbmishment and drying out the of the logs, they are replacing the entire lift mechanisms for lift A, lift B, and half of lift C. The other half was replaced in the last major refurb. These motors and related equipment have gone past the expected life span, and really need to be replaced, therefore the extended closure.

The current schedule has the ride reopening in late May, but as with any major refurb, they can sometimes find other things that need repair, which could delay the reopening.

ILovePoker
01-23-2007, 12:19 PM
So sad to see Splash go down for a few months, do they really need that much time for a refurb? :crying:

It all depends as to how fast these lift hills can be replaced. Sometimes they get way ahead of schedule, ie: Space Mountain's renovation and may open earlier.

I've heard from many people say that Disney World's Splash is better because of it's larger size, bigger boats, extra drops and overall better ride experience.

SarahJanet
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Oh please oh please oh PLEASE let them finish early. Like, a month early. Splash Mountain is my favourite ride!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
WDW splash is better, the seating is better, the theming isn't as dark. I'm a DL girl all the way, but I really wish our Splash Mountain was more like their Splash Mountain.

ralfrick
01-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Space Mtn at WDW is the original, but that doesn't stop the one at DL from being superior.

A bientot.

GORGON
01-25-2007, 12:07 PM
My daughter will not go on Splash because of the seating. She thinks she will fall out. I hope it goes to the double for that reason and it would be more comfortable.

geoffa
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
MadasaHatter,

but Space Mountain in WDW doesn't even come close to being as nice as DL.

Sorry but the BEST Space Mountain is actually at Paris - inverted loops and all!:)

The better Splash Mountain is at WDW

Bolivar
01-25-2007, 12:23 PM
My daughter will not go on Splash because of the seating. She thinks she will fall out. I hope it goes to the double for that reason and it would be more comfortable.
The last seat on the log at DL is side by side. You could always take your daughter and request that seat.

cstephens
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM

Do you mean at Disneyland? If she sits in front of you, wouldn't you be able to wrap your arms around her or at least hold on to her shoulders to alleviate her concern?

Bytebear
01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Space Mtn at WDW is the original, but that doesn't stop the one at DL from being superior.

But WDW Space Mountain was based on the Matterhorn, so it really wasn't original at all.

DorkySka
01-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Splash Mountain run out of funds for all the animatronics (thus the need for America Sings animatronics)? In that case, WDW's Splash Mountain could sort of be what DL's Splash Mountain was attempting in the first place...
PS: Never been to DL, but I've watched the Splash Mountain YouTube video of it, and I like the soundtrack better. I've seen screen caps of DL Asia's Splash Mountain, and it is GORGEOUS.

vfire
01-25-2007, 05:04 PM
If Wikipedia is accurate (I know...) then DL's Spash Mountain has over 100 animatronics while WDW's only has 65.
In any case, Splash is a great ride that gives me a reason to check out WDW.
I've heard the Pooh ride at WDW is better than DL's but everything else looks like advantage DL or at least equal.
Based on a map comparison of rides, DL kicks Magic Kingdom rear big-time in sheer number. ;)