PDA

View Full Version : Nice Gesture by Disney

justagrrl
05-31-2002, 04:48 AM
Some neighbors of ours took their little girl to Disneyland this past Tuesday (with free passes from something or other). After being there for a few hours and mostly looking around/shopping (they're not too big on rides, go figure!) they bought their daughter a blue icee of some sort and about 15 minutes later she got hives all over. (poor thing.) So...they left.

After coming home, he ended up calling Disney to find out if there is "something" in the icee that they'd heard of that caused this - wondering if it was related to that or something else. They hadn't heard of any icee/hives troubles before...

...but very nicely they did give him replacement tickets to come back another day. I just thought that was so very nice of Disney...and interestingly enough, because of the level of caring they received, they are buying AP's for the family.

:)

DisneylandKid
05-31-2002, 05:00 AM
That is nice. I wonder if it was to prevent any "lawsuit"-type thing from the Icee. But an Icee causing hives? I doubt it.

justagrrl
05-31-2002, 06:52 AM
yeah - I kind of doubted it too...especially since, it seemed, their daughter had been a little under the weather for a few days beforehand...

...but the Dad had requested the day off work a month or so before so they could go..and you know how it is when you plan on going...hard to just put it aside when no one is "actually" sick. ya know what I mean.

Maybe it was the fact that he didn't call them asking for something in return - just sort of wanted information so they could avoid it again. (You read about artifical coloring and what not as a parent, how some kids might be affected behavior wise by some of the colors?) and I imagine that that thought crossed the parents minds enough to inquire about.

Still, they were really surprised that Disney gave them new tickets. I think it's this sort of customer service that should rub off on other companys...it's part of Disney success I think. (Often, the board is so cynical about Disney - it's nice to hear about positive things too.)

RStar
05-31-2002, 10:02 AM
The same thing happened to me. Last valentines day we went to the Golden Vine Winery (when it was still Mondovi) and my wife had a very bad alergic reaction starting with hives and a little difficulty breathing.She had never had a food alergy reaction like this before By the time we walked to the across the way to the first aid station she could no longer breath at all. I have to say the nurses there were great. They had her hooked up to moniters and had Epineffrin in her all within seconds. Then the (at that time new) paramedic team was there in minutes, made sure she was stable and took her to the hospital. So then I called the main number for DLR to try to get the number of the resturant to see if I can figure out what she would be alergic to. I told the cast member that answered the phone why I would need to talk to the resturant and she took the report of what had happened, and sent me a certificate for two tickets to either park, even though we were APs. I didn't blame them, it's not their fault that my wife had an alergic reaction. But they wnted to make a bad experience better. That's Disney for you.

But over a Knott's we had a problem at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Resturant. My wife bit into a piece of chicken and got a squirt of hot oil on her hand that needed attention at first aid for second degree burns. When it first happened, the people, including the manager, of the resturant said "you should have been more carefull". No "I'm sorry, let me see if I can get you a complamentary desert for you" as most resturants may do, or "let's get you over to first aid to have that looked at" (we went on our own) as Disney did. They were not at all customer oriented.:mad:

slaakker
05-31-2002, 10:13 AM
But an Icee causing hives? I doubt it.

Just a quick note to this, an Icee absoutly could cause an allergic reaction. People can be allergic from anything from the plastic used in the straw to the chemicals or flavoring used in the Icee itself.

Just FYI.:)

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 09:23 PM
RStar is she alergic to Mondovi wine? I know that when my mom had a glass once (way before DCA even existed) she got a terrible headache and found that she was alergic to most of the wines mondovi produces for some reason.

adriennek
05-31-2002, 09:29 PM
Many people get headaches from red wine because of the histamines and sulphites in red wine.

Adrienne K

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 09:55 PM
We went through this already...:D She is only alergic to (at the moment) Gin and Mondovi wine.:D