PDA

View Full Version : Freebies at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

moxie
05-31-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi, it's my first time posting here! I'm a native Southern Californian and a big-time Disneyland geek. :D

I just wanted to put a question out there and see if anyone of you Disneyland insiders can help me out with suggestions. I'm running a scavenger hunt type thing (this was started independently by co-workers at an old job about 6 or 7 years ago and has nothing to do with any other similar type events) and I was wondering if anyone knows of any things you can get for free from Disneyland (or from other park guests is okay too). This is the 4th year I've done it with the same group of people so new things are getting harder and harder to come up with. Some things we've done in the past include:

mardi gras beads
Disney character band-aid
Carnation baby cereal from the baby center
doggie chew toy from the kennel
single rider pass
autopia driver's license
monorail co-pilot's license
pressed penny from the bank
all sorts of stickers (birthday, distinguished citizen, fire department, etc.)

Also I usually include items that you can get from other park guests like:

an empty film canister
a AA battery
a foreign business card
a safety pin

Any other suggestions for cool little items, especially hard to get ones, would be much appreciated. This is not a huge group (maybe 5 teams of 4 or 5 each) so it wouldn't be like they're storming the facilities asking for these things or anything. Any help would be much appreciated...

-moxie

RStar
05-31-2002, 06:48 AM
how about:

-a paticular condament packet (the hardest is hot sauce).
-empty drink cup (harder would be with water).
-feather (there are enough birds there dropping the to find one if you try, but this could be questionable. But if you use both parks someone my try to damage a boa at DCA.).
-Disney Character meet-n-greet sticker (I.E.-"I met Ariel today").
-a fast pass (you can choose a ride, but some may close out at any time so I would say any fastpass).
-an Iris flower from Tom Sawer's Island (those white flowering plants that surround the island).
-a drinking straw.
-a post card with a particular character (this would require a small purchase, but would be fun looking for it and a short line to purchase it in).
-a "Park Hours & Entertainment Schedule" from City hall (you can get both parks there).

I've always wanted to do this (I thought of it soon after my first AP in 1995) but never set it up. That's why when I heard about the mad scramble here at MP I went for it!

Have fun!

heidiwhr
05-31-2002, 07:12 AM
A couple years ago I was there with a group of friends and we had a "digital camera scavenger hunt". One person that knew the park well thought up clues and the rest of us were divided into groups of 3-4. We took those clues and went around and took pictures of the item we thought the clue pertained to. It was a lot of fun! We didn't have to worry about carrying all the stuff we collected, and if we didn't want to keep the pictures we took, we could just erase the memory card.

Just a thought!

HBTiggerFan
05-31-2002, 07:53 AM
A bag (harder to get if you don't buy anything)
A napkin
A non-valid fastpass
An autograph from a certain character
A receipt

Lani
05-31-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by moxie
mardi gras beads
Disney character band-aid
Carnation baby cereal from the baby center
doggie chew toy from the kennel
single rider pass
autopia driver's license
monorail co-pilot's license
pressed penny from the bank
all sorts of stickers (birthday, distinguished citizen, fire department, etc.)Other than the single rider pass, I don't know that I like any of these. They all require that you wait in queues or lie to a CM to get ("Hi! Today is um... my birthday. Yeah, that's the ticket. Now gimme a sticker.").

Also, the pressed penny is not free. It costs 50 cents to make, and then the penny is no longer legal tender. (even if you get to keep the penny afterwards).

I would add:

Fastpass
napkin (you can specify what kind)
park map

MonorailMan
05-31-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by lani

Also, the pressed penny is not free. It costs 50 cents to make, and then the penny is no longer legal tender. (even if you get to keep the penny afterwards).

Ahh, but they have a self-press one at the bank that's free, because it says "Union Bank" on it! :)

MouseWife
05-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks! I don't have this one!

{My sister has so many, I bet she doesn't have this one. Okay, hate to be a know it all but she knows it all about the pennies, I will enjoy telling her about this one. ;) }

I love the napkins with Mickey on them.

How about a sugar packet? Do they still have the castle on it?

Lani
05-31-2002, 08:56 AM
You mean TOTALLY free? Not even for the penny?? I didn't know that!

RStar
05-31-2002, 10:07 AM
Yes! Totally free, they even supply the penny and a card that it gets put into! It's for bank advertising, but looks cool!:D

Rallymonkey23
05-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Yes! Totally free, they even supply the penny and a card that it gets put into! It's for bank advertising, but looks cool!:D

This is making me laugh right now cause everytime we go to Disneyland my son and daughter has to get one from the bank.

moxie
05-31-2002, 03:10 PM
Good suggestions, all! I do have a park map in Chinese on there. ;) And yes, the penny at the bank is free. I've had this one on there in the past. Cast members are usually really nice about giving out the freebies like the doggie treats and baby formula if you tell them the truth about why you want it. I've found that most of them enjoy the novelty of it and they sometimes even start helping out with the trivia part too.

I thought of another thing to add as well, a packet of Tobasco sauce. You can only get those at the Cafe Orleans, I think. Do you know of any other things that you can only get in one place at the park? One year I had a sprig of mint on there because it comes with a mint julip, but they got all wilty and made the entire bags smell!

Can anyone tell me if the two places that sell McDonald's french fries serve them in a container with the McDonald's logo on it?

Thanks again everyone, you've been a big help!

-moxie

cyberRoo
05-31-2002, 03:49 PM
You can also have them make a rubbing of something - a piece of a plaque or something - the word Disney might be a good one.

(you know, where you put a piece of paper over the plaque and rub with the side of a crayon or pencil).

What about a fortune from the penny arcade or Indy shop. (Granted, not free, but pocket change - literally)...

Mouse
05-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cyberRoo
You can also have them make a rubbing of something - a piece of a plaque or something - the word Disney might be a good one.

Wow! That's a really good idea. Wish I would have thought of it. ;)

The fries do come in regular McDonald's containers.

Hey, make sure no one else from the game is reading this, people might come prepared! :eek:

PaleRider
05-31-2002, 09:20 PM
How about a parent switch pass without the help of child?

or

A mint from the Blue Bayou

cstephens
05-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by moxie
I thought of another thing to add as well, a packet of Tobasco sauce. You can only get those at the Cafe Orleans, I think.

You can get those at Pizza Port as well, but you have to ask for those. You can get parmesan cheese at Pizza Port as well, again, if you ask for them. I'm not aware of anywhere else you can get them.

DJ_MENTOS
05-31-2002, 10:17 PM
I dont know if they still have them, but you might be able to get a decoder card for Indy. Also you could ask for the Height bracelets for kids.

DJ_MENTOS

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 10:22 PM
They don't have those anymore (or at least for the moment). If you want to be extra challenging, ask for a fast pass that was issued in a specific time window. I am not too sure the staff would be too keen on people taking a rubbing of the plaques.:)

ldsguy
06-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Ok, well, here are some ideas:

A completed Junior Explorers map from DCA (They'll look at adults funny, but give you a mapy anyway, then you have to go and get it completed by going to all the different places on it)

A packet of Parmesian Chesse from Rocket Rods, you have to ask for them though, but they still had them the last time I was there.

One of the Fastpasses for the Power of Blast, you could also require one for every show.....all you have to do is ask and they will give them to you, but if you do that make sure you gert there well before the first show, but yoou can usually get them for the alst show until about 45 minutes prior.

A map in Russian, I believe that is the hardest language to get, don't ask me why though, just what I have heard......You could also ask for Japanesse.

You could also have everyone bring eityher a polaroid or digital camera (eith the viewscreen on it) and find and take pictures of different things that are hidden in the park, like tell them to find a hidden mickey, etc. and take a picture of it.

I don't know if they still have themm, but one of the Decoders cards from Indiana Jones.....I have seen them occasionally give them.

One of the Bendy straws (Only one place that I know of has them and I will give a hint, look at the hotels....that is all I will give on that one)

Well, that should give you a good start on a list at least.

Matterhorn Fan
06-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ldsguy
A packet of Parmesian Chesse from Rocket Rods, you have to ask for them though, but they still had them the last time I was there.I think you mean Pizza Port. You won't get anything from Rocket Rods. (A) That's a ride. (B) It's been closed for some time.

One of the Fastpasses for the Power of Blast, you could also require one for every show.....all you have to do is ask and they will give them to you, but if you do that make sure you gert there well before the first show, but yoou can usually get them for the alst show until about 45 minutes prior.As of last Wednesday (that was the last time I saw it), the tickets for Blast! no longer have times on them.

ChipmunkStar
06-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Hey Matterhorn Fan, I was nex to the Hypersion all day yesterday, and even helped hand out a few Power of Blast! Fastpasses. They do still have the times on them.

Matterhorn Fan
06-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Maybe they'd changed the showtimes recently or had run out of time-specific ones last Wednesday. My FP did not have a time on it, that's all I know.

HBTiggerFan
06-03-2002, 06:24 PM
In City Hall and Guest Services they used to have this thing that imprented Japenese onto things. Its free. I asked a CM what it was for and it was for this thing that Japan was running for visiting disney parks. So my suggestion is an Imprent on something from that machine.

stinkerbell
06-04-2002, 07:51 AM
We use that stamp thingy in City Hall to stamp our postcards before we send them. It's a cool stamp and not overtly Japanese. The stamp says, "Disneyland" and has the date on it. The 2 CM's who were working last time we were there had no idea what it was. This would be a great scavenger hunt idea!

I love all the ideas you all have had so far! And I agree that if you're honest with the CM's, they are happy to help, esp. since it's a relatively small group of people involved in the scavenger hunt. I really like the freebies ideas more--you have to be a bit more creative--like the crayon rubbings and autographs by certain characters and fastpasses and switch passes and autopia licenses.

But I think if everyone knew up front that they'd have to spend like $5, that things like postcards, squished pennies, fortunes, etc. would be more entertaining at the end of the day.

So combining the freebies, the small fee things, and some trivia questions/answers, hidden Mickeys, etc. and you've got a really great scavenger hunt!

moxie
06-04-2002, 02:00 PM
Well, I used some of your suggestions and we had the scavenger hunt on Sunday. It was much fun! Thank you to everyone who provided suggestions. The ones I didn't use will probably be on there next year!

And about the stamp at City Hall, I hid an instruction on the first page that said, "If you get the last page of this stamped at City Hall you will receive 5 bonus points!" They had to actually read through the rules to find it though, and only a third of them did.

By the way, I just came on here for help with the event and now I'm fully addicted to Mouse Planet. What a cool site.

-moxie

Barbacide
06-04-2002, 02:28 PM
It's amazing. There are tons of freebies at Disneyland. You should add to your list letters. All over Disney;land & DCA they have these boxes that people put stamped letters in. Most of the time you can hoist up a small child and they can get 5 or 6 in one swipe. It's a lot easier than those dumb claw games!