PDA

View Full Version : DVC points? What's up with those?

anniem8
01-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Friends of mine are planning to go to WDW the same time we are. We will be camping at FW but they are definately not the camping type. The only other time they visited WDW they were guests of a DVC member. They think they can get a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen at a reasonable price. :rolleyes: I'm trying to help, but the best I can do is ASM suites or Port Orleans. Now POR isn't a suite, but it is a moderate compared to a value. I don't want them to be disappointed in their accomodations- but I think their expectations are little high.

What is the chance they could rent points for a DVC? And how does all that work? I realize this may be much to broad a question-if so, boot me out! I just want to give them every option.

efoxx
01-20-2007, 07:10 AM
your right very broad question. but the answer would be to look at a site that has a lot of DVC members willing to rent. I think Disboards does. points run about $11-12/pt so a two bedroom would cost between $2790-3580 for a week depending on when you plan on going. all things considered a good price, but not cheap. a one bedroom would cost somewhere between $2200-2790 depending on when you go.

prices have been creeping up, and Disney has been discouraging members from renting points, but deals are still to be found.

GusMan
01-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Kinda like what efoxx was saying, it all depends on what they see as "reasonable." I mean, you can pay 10-12 per point when renting but even then you are still talking a solid chunk of change. That is much less than if you were to just reserve the room not using points but not cheap by most standards.

For example, I paid something like $340 for a 2BR suite for a Sunday night in the off season at BWV. A very good price for the six of us and it was a great room.

And while the jury is still out as to how DVC is limiting rental of points, you still have to deal with a "stranger" when doing so, in the vast majority of cases. Most people have great experiences in completing the transaction, but it is not as simple as "heres $3000, please book me a room..." (Not to mention that most people do want cas, and that could be a lot of cash.) Would rent points again? Sure would, but I just may become a member before then. (Hoping so, that is...)

Cheshire Figment
01-20-2007, 07:03 PM
On another board there is an entire forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)for the renting and trade of DVC points. It is moderated, and although nothing can be guaranteed, is fairly well also self policed.

efoxx
01-21-2007, 03:48 PM
On another board

Psst CF that's the one I mentioned...;)