PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mickeys... who cares?

Pony Sugrue
05-30-2002, 10:15 PM
You know as much as I loved the Herbert Ryman Exhibit at the DISNEY GALLERY, I grew tried of seeing it there for so long. I got excited when they finally closed for awhile to show us the next exhibit. I thought to myself... could it be ADVENTURELAND this time... Maybe a retrospective on Marc Davis' contributions to DISNEYLAND... how about a tony Baxter exhibit?!

Well they opened again a few weeks ago and we got 100 paintings of Mickey. I know he's important and "it all started with a Mouse" but this is one of the few places we usually get to see great IMAGINEERING items/art/models. Every DISNEY store from here to Maine has Mickey stuff in it.

Now (even though I grew tired of it) I'd rather have the Herb Ryman stuff back.

Nigel2
05-30-2002, 10:17 PM
Ummm... it's been open for months now. But still the work is basically a hack job since it really isn't terribly origial and it almost reminds one of a Warhol (in some images). Plus others have said it's basically a showcase for their new color printer.:D

blusilva
05-30-2002, 11:46 PM
I thought it was an innovative concept, but fell sort of flat. I think it would have been more interesting to have 100 different artists' views of Mickey as opposed to one guy doing the whole shebang. But what do I know from art?

Some of them were downright frightening.

The one I liked best was the one of woven paper with little dots of color on each square. That was cool because of the texture work.

RStar
05-31-2002, 06:25 AM
I love Mickey, he is my favorite character. But 100 of them is way too much. And there are only a few of them that I even like. I suppose that means there should be at least a couple of them that every one should like. But I have not bothered to go see them at the gallery because I can see them all at any store in the park. What a waste of the gallery!:eek:

Alex S.
05-31-2002, 06:44 AM
It reminds me of an exhibit I saw here in San Francisco called 2,000 Dragons (http://www.yerbabuenaarts.org/pressroom/2000dragons.htm) by Don Ed Hardy.

He painted 2,000 dragons on one very long piece of Tyvek.

Individually, some of the dragons were interesting, but the overall impression was way too mechanical and goal oriented. I feel the same thing with the Mickeys. Some of the individual pieces are very nice, but the overall project just seems like a marketing idea, not art.

MonorailMan
05-31-2002, 08:37 AM
I could look at the Mickey paintings for hours! I love Mickey, but mom doesn't so it's always, "Come on, you've looked allready!".

9oldmen
05-31-2002, 11:45 AM
2003 marks Mickey's 75th birthday, and I think 75 Mickeys then would have made more sense. I asked this before, but if we "must never lose sight of this one thing" about it "all being started by a mouse", then what is being planned for 2003? Is Mickey's 75th being overshadowed by "Walt's 100th" and the parks 50th? Am I the only one that thinks something major is being overlooked?

LIMANDL4EVA
05-31-2002, 05:42 PM
not to sound rude, but this guy spend almost two years of non-stop painstaking work to paint all these mickeys, he painted WELL Over 100 mickeys and disney picked out 100 of them
he deserves MUCH CREDIT
how do i know this?
he is a family friend
and as much as we all would like to see models in the disney gallery, it is not all about attraction models and imagineering stuff, its about ART that is why its called a GALLERY, not an imagineering workshop,

sorry if it seems like ive snapped here but eric robion put a LOT of time and effort into all these pictures and he really doesnt deserve to be blown off by you guys like you were doing.

9oldmen
05-31-2002, 08:29 PM
Although he's not a personal friend of mine , I happen to know, and am familiar with the work of Eric Robison.

MonorailMan
05-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Every one makes typoss. ;)

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 09:44 PM
I am sure he put a lot of hard work into the pictures (according to something he did get to stay in the Carribean for a portion of the time:) ) but still it is lacking a feeling of origiality since it's one person creating all the images of the same subject. It almost reminds me of a complation gallery but all done by the same artist. It would have been nice to do something like blusilva sugested with 100 artists (could you have imagined the resposne to an art contest like that?:D). But it also seems like a slap in the face when this is considered to be one of the (if not the only) focal point for Walt's 100th at disneyland.

LIMANDL4EVA
05-31-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
Although he's not a personal friend of mine , I happen to know, and am familiar with the work of Eric Robison.
sorry goldmen
i MEANT
ROBISON
sorry about that

blusilva
05-31-2002, 11:37 PM
I don't doubt that he put a lot of time and effort into it. And was well compensated.

I just think the exhibit would have been MORE interesting to ME if there had been more than one artist involved.

And, I found some of the images to be disturbing and frightening.

That's my OPINION. Your milage obviously may vary.

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 11:45 PM
Would you mind filling us in on which images you find frightening and so forth?:D

blusilva
06-01-2002, 02:35 AM
#s 15 (Mickey with two noses, done Picasso style), 24 (he looks like he has a bloody runny nose), 47 (he looks terrified), 49 (he looks terrified and like a bad acid trip) , 64 (it looks like his face is exploding), and 94 (just creeps me out).

You can see them at 100mickeys.com.

Some of them reminded me of those paintings on the Rod Serling series "Night Gallery". *shudder*

Again, art is a subjective experience. What I find disturbing and frightening will not be what any other person may.

Nigel2
06-01-2002, 10:10 PM
Hmmm... some of the pictures make on wonder what his "inspiration" was:D

Pony Sugrue
06-02-2002, 07:25 PM
I wonder if Walt Disney were still alive-- he'd enjoy seeing those 100 Versions of Mickey?

RStar
06-03-2002, 11:28 AM
I didn't find that Eric Robison was the problem. He did a great job. If Disney told me they wanted 100 paintings, I'm not sure I would even take the chalenge! This may explain why he had to come up with some strange adaptations of Mickey, including rearanging his face (he must have been up late that night, and it sounded like a good idea at the time!), I probably would have come up with some doosies myself! No, I don't think any one is ragging on Mr. Ericson. The consept just seems a bit flawed (read DCA here) as usual. Eric was just doing his job (and a fine one at that- his patriotic Mickey is my favorite!):D