PDA

View Full Version : Super Shuttle, Taxi or Limo...

Pages : [1] 2

mommy-san
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
I have done some thinking about our transpo from LAX to HOJO and cannot decide. We are 2 kids, 2 adults. Smallest is 2 years old.
We have done Supershuttle before, liked it but am afraid that we won't have luck just catching one in front of the airport.
What does everyone else out there do?

Specifics, please (company phone #'s etc. if possible)

derraj25
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Great question. My wife and I are flying into Orange County in Feb. and we have heard that a cab is cheaper than the Supershuttle. Is this true?

pisces
01-19-2007, 04:22 PM
How about non-of-the-above.

Why not just rent a car?

I've rented from both Enterprise and Budget, and they were very good companies.

I don't have their numbers, offhand, but both of them used to have stations right in the terminal.

mommy-san
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
How about non-of-the-above.

Why not just rent a car?

I've rented from both Enterprise and Budget, and they were very good companies.

I don't have their numbers, offhand, but both of them used to have stations right in the terminal.

The idea of getting up at 4:00 AM to spend the next 8 hours in airports/airplanes with 2 small kids makes that idea of then driving on a freway sound a bit unwise. :) But that is just me.

derraj25
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
We don't rent a car because we don't go anywhere else when there. And it seems silly to pay for a 5 day rental when we would need the car for a total of 2 1/2 hours.

--d2

Micmarie
01-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I checked with Zippy Shuttle and for one adult and 3 children I got a price quote of 75.00 from LAX to our hotel across the street from Disney, no stops, est. time 45 min. . Super Shuttle would be about 65.00 with maby a couple of stops at nearby hotels. If you are interested you can email Zippy at Ken@zippyshuttle.net and give the specifics you need and they reply within an hour or so, they have a website. Has anybody reading this used them before, and do cabs have much space for luggage?

Bytebear
01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Here are some other threads with more info. I think the consensus is to do a flat rate taxi ($35), but I would read through these to find what works best for you:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=63430
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=63557
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=62260
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=60681
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=62245
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=61271

Darkbeer
01-19-2007, 09:39 PM
From John Wayne/Orange County/Santa Ana or Long Beach...

Take a Taxi, $35 plus tip and the best way to get to your hotel.

From LAX, my first choice would be a rental car, followed by the Disneyland Express Airport Bus or a Shuttle Van. A Taxi from LAX is about $100 plus tip one way!

lagunachadling
01-19-2007, 10:12 PM
I think that there seems to be a lot of repetition in this thread. $35 is the consensus!

nvmom
01-20-2007, 07:05 AM
www.tonythelimoking.com All there drivers have been very friendly and professional forus. I can't speak to their rates from LAX, we've only used them from SNA. They have limo service and standard van/car service as well.

nvmom

crrees
01-20-2007, 07:09 AM
What is the best way to get to LAX to DLH - 2 adults, cheap transport would be great, i dont want to take a taxi and spent 100 bucks, that would be ridiculous for one way

Darkbeer
01-20-2007, 07:56 AM
What is the best way to get to LAX to DLH - 2 adults, cheap transport would be great, i dont want to take a taxi and spent 100 bucks, that would be ridiculous for one way

From LAX, the best and cheapest option is the Disneyland Express Airport Bus

http://anaheimsightseeing.com/anaheimairport/

The above link has a $3 off coupon, which makes it $25 an adult round trip, and $17 for kids.

I prefer the seating on the bus, and the fact that you won't drop somebody off at their house, which might happen if you take a Shuttle Van.

pisces
01-20-2007, 08:14 AM
We don't rent a car because we don't go anywhere else when there. And it seems silly to pay for a 5 day rental when we would need the car for a total of 2 1/2 hours.

--d2

You don't have to rent a car for 5 days.

You can rent it for one day.

Enterprise will have it for you at the Airport, you drive it to Anaheim, and leave it at Enterprise there.

If I were spending 8 hours in a crowded airplane, the last thing I'd want to do is spend another 3 in a crowded bus, in which you may or may not like your neighbors, and may or may not like the driving.

Too many unknowns, and things you can't control.

No matter what the traffic, in a car, you are in an enclosed, private space and have a little bit more control.

A Taxi for $35.00 doesn't sound realistic to me.

Darkbeer
01-20-2007, 08:53 AM
You don't have to rent a car for 5 days.

You can rent it for one day.

Enterprise will have it for you at the Airport, you drive it to Anaheim, and leave it at Enterprise there.

If I were spending 8 hours in a crowded airplane, the last thing I'd want to do is spend another 3 in a crowded bus, in which you may or may not like your neighbors, and may or may not like the driving.

Too many unknowns, and things you can't control.

No matter what the traffic, in a car, you are in an enclosed, private space and have a little bit more control.

A Taxi for $35.00 doesn't sound realistic to me.

So instead of just getting the Disneyland Express, you are recommending that these folks board the Enterprise Shuttle Bus to be taken to the rental office, where they will stand in line and process the rental agreement, then have to find the car, then drive to the Anaheim office, where they will have to once again go thru the paperwork issues, and then have someone drive them to the hotel.

And then rent another vehicle for the return trip, so that is another fee, and set of paperwork, transferring luggage, etc....

Sorry, If I am taking all my suitcases and loading onto a bus, I am going to do it, sit down and open a book and relax, and not bother moving my luggage another couple of times and stand in lines. The Airport Bus is a Greyhound style bus, with airline seats that recline and have armrests, and a restroom in the back, just in case you need it. And the Airport Bus takes under 1 hour to make the Non-Stop trip from LAX to the Disneyland Resort.

As for the Taxi, once again, from LAX it is about $100 plus tip, could be a bit less in light traffic.

From either John Wayne (SNA) or Long Beach (LGB) Airports, the Taxi fare is $35 plus tip (ask for the Flat Rate). Since both these airports are closer to the Disneyland Resort, (just over 10 miles each) the fare is a lot less than a taxi from LAX.

pisces
01-20-2007, 10:27 AM
The Airport Bus is a Greyhound style bus, with airline seats that recline and have armrests, and a restroom in the back, just in case you need it. And the Airport Bus takes under 1 hour to make the Non-Stop trip from LAX to the Disneyland Resort.

A bus is still a bus, whether it has reclining armrests or not. And, I think it would be a lot easier to have Enterprise deal with my luggage, than have to haul it myself on some bus.

The last time I used Enterprise was in 2001, and I never touched luggage. They moved all my luggage when they picked me up. They have their own porters, who were very professional.

And, that was before they were ranked #1 by J.D. Power and associates.

Also, you can expedite the paperwork by opening an account with them before your scheduled pick-up. On their website, they have a "reduce your time at the rental counter" part, where you fill in the contract online.

Also, they can fax copies of the forms. Assuming you've read everything before you get there, all you'd need to do is sign the agreement, in person.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/carDetails.do?transactionId=WebTransaction2&selectedCar=ECAR

$30.00 for one day car rental. (And that's not counting any AAA discounts)

The choice seems clear, to me.

mjjpower
01-20-2007, 10:36 AM
We used VIP transportation from Long Beach to Anaheim. They beat everyone's prices and we had the best service! They were on time, professional, remembered to bring a booster seat for us, and even though our plane came in two hours late he was at the airport and ready to pick us up as soon as we got our luggage.

Darkbeer
01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
FYI, the Airport Bus Driver handles the luggage, all you do is bring it to the bus stop, the Driver loads the luggage in the luggage storage area, and you walk on board.

disneyhound
01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
...$30.00 for one day car rental. (And that's not counting any AAA discounts) The choice seems clear, to me.

We are flying into John Wayne next Friday!! Yea!! We are going to Disneyland, not planning to do anything else. We book a hotel directly across Harbor Blvd. from the main entrance to the park. Renting a car has never been on the radar for us. Why hassel with the drive, the parking, and the rental car itself? At $30.00 a day for a car rental + gas; a cab ride is a much better option, or a van/bus...

DangerMouse
01-20-2007, 11:00 AM
$30.00 for one day car rental. (And that's not counting any AAA discounts)

The choice seems clear, to me.

Obviously you aren't listening to the op's requests. I would never subject myself, or my worst enemy for that matter, to driving in LA traffic, after an early morning flight with two kids.

I'd take Darkbeer's advice and run with it.

derraj25
01-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Obviously you aren't listening to the op's requests. I would never subject myself, or my worst enemy for that matter, to driving in LA traffic, after an early morning flight with two kids.

I'd take Darkbeer's advice and run with it.

After the deliberation...we will choose the cab. $30+tip to front door of hotel...no wait, no sharing the ride, no "detours" the blue van may take...it's a no brainer.

--d2

yenko427
01-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Mommy-san:
We are choosing to do the Disneyland Resort express bus, as Darkbeer recommended. I have not used it before but Darkbeer (whom seems to have a very vast knowledge base I must say) recommends it as does mousesavers. I liked the idea of the potty on board, just in case there is traffic, etc. Travelling with a younger one we all know how that works...... I am not a taxi person myself......the ones I have ridden with (especially in Vegas) were unprofessional and drove crazy and I would not expose my child to that.

mommy-san
01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Mommy-san:
We are choosing to do the Disneyland Resort express bus, as Darkbeer recommended. I have not used it before but Darkbeer (whom seems to have a very vast knowledge base I must say) recommends it as does mousesavers. I liked the idea of the potty on board, just in case there is traffic, etc. Travelling with a younger one we all know how that works...... I am not a taxi person myself......the ones I have ridden with (especially in Vegas) were unprofessional and drove crazy and I would not expose my child to that.
We did the resort bus our first trip- round trip, and because we stay at HOJO it is the last one dropped off and first one picked up on the way to the airport. Plus on the trip back to the airport, we had to transfer busses. The bus windows are also covered in graphics- and we couldn't see out very well which kinda drove me crazy. There were also no seatbelts which is not ideal when travelling with a toddler. But since your son is 5, you guys will be fine, and my pickiness about the bus itself is quite petty.

mask41
01-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Could someone explain, with a little more detail, the way the Disneyland Express Bus operates? I am thinking of recommending this to my (senior)mother who may fly into LAX while my dh and kids will take amtrak. When I look at their pdf brochure it is mirrored (backwards) and therefore too difficult to read.
So, how do I know if the bus goes to the Residence Inn Maingate and how long it would take her to get from LAX to the RI? Does it make numerous stops and is it dependent on the riders necessary stops?
Any help in deciding if this is the way I should direct my mother would be MOST appreciated!!
Thanks,
Amy

Darkbeer
01-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Pretty much, the bus stops at each Terminal at LAX, then goes directly to the Disneyland Hotel. At the hotel, they gather the payments and vouchers, and those staying at the Disneyland Hotel gets off. Then the driver finds out where the other guests need to go, and stops at just those hotels, and maybe will pick up a few others along the way for the trip back.

There is a phone number at the link I provided earlier that can give you the expected times, and when to be in front of the hotel for the trip back.

miss bianca
01-21-2007, 05:18 PM
I have done some thinking about our transpo from LAX to HOJO and cannot decide. We are 2 kids, 2 adults. Smallest is 2 years old.
We have done Supershuttle before, liked it but am afraid that we won't have luck just catching one in front of the airport.
What does everyone else out there do?

Specifics, please (company phone #'s etc. if possible)

Before having my wonderful son we used to ALWAYS take a cab from SNA. Quick and Easy. Now that we need carseats a cab is not the best way for us. (we do not bring car seats along on the plane - way too much hassle). We have been hiring a towncar that provides car seats free of charge. It runs about $80 roundtrip. This next trip we may try renting a car.

Good Luck.