PDA

View Full Version : If you had to choose... [Desert Inn & Suites or Carousel Inn]

mycutekitties
01-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I will be making our reservations today and I am having a hard time with what hotel to stay in. I have it narrowed down to the Dessert Inn & Suites and the Carousel. I haven't stayed at either so I don't know what one would be best. We have two children under 3 and 4 adults in our party. We will be traveling 3/24-3/28.
I am looking for something close, clean and nice.
So what would you do?

my2princesses
01-19-2007, 10:20 AM
We have never stayed at the Carousel, but we did stay at the Desert Inn And Suites and we really liked it. It was clean and our room was pretty big for just a regular room.
Michelle

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
The Carousel is okay, I would compare it to Travelodge.

AngelBear
01-19-2007, 11:54 AM
We love the Carousel. Very friendly. Nothing special but nice.
I was leery of the Desert Inn because I read reviews about them double-charging credit cards and stuff. Apparently it's not a problem anymore, but still scared me a little.
But we really enjoy staying at the Carousel. It's one of our first choices.

Malcon10t
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I've stayed at both. The rooms at Carousel have been remodeled more recently than the ones at Desert Inn. If you are getting the "View Suite", I would go with Carousel. Otherwise, the rooms are larger at Desert Inn and we preferred it.

Malcon10t
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
We love the Carousel. Very friendly. Nothing special but nice.
I was leery of the Desert Inn because I read reviews about them double-charging credit cards and stuff. Apparently it's not a problem anymore, but still scared me a little.
But we really enjoy staying at the Carousel. It's one of our first choices.To my knowledge, the issue was never with credit cards, but with debit cards and paying in cash. They put a hold on the debit card then you pay with cash and they don't release the hold (takes 7 days to release on its own.) They have done it to me, but going in and telling the manager got it released. It appears to me to be a case of poor training.

mariezp
01-19-2007, 06:30 PM
We will be staying at the Desert Inn again in September. This will be our 7th stay with them. I have thought about trying elsewhere but I have a family that likes sticking to tradition more than they care about upgrading hotels. That's fine with me since the price is hard to beat and the proximity to the park is great. The rooms are large, clean and come standard with a microwave and fridge. Beds have always been comfy. We have never had any problems. The pool is small and breakfast is limited. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has high expectations. I would recommend it as good value and if you would rather spend big bucks in the park rather than on lodging.

JookyG
01-19-2007, 08:04 PM
I usually stay at the Tropicana, but last time stayed at Carousel and was much impressed. Nicer and cheaper than the Tropicana, and the continental breakfast was better.

tmptink
01-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I have stayed at both. And liked both.

The one down fall of the Carousel is that the rooms in the back do not have an elevator. So if your room is on the second floor and you are coming back from the park with a sleeping child in a stroller, it was really hard to go up the stairs. Other than that the rooms were really nice. We had the 2 queen and my family had the 2 room suite.

TTFN92
01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I haven't stayed at the Carousel, but Desert Inn if nice. Just a standard room. Nothing fancy, but clean. The beds are more comfortable than Tropicanna's. The location is great, you can't beat it!

mycutekitties
01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone!

DrivingtoDisneyAZ
01-20-2007, 11:39 AM
To my knowledge, the issue was never with credit cards, but with debit cards and paying in cash. They put a hold on the debit card then you pay with cash and they don't release the hold (takes 7 days to release on its own.) They have done it to me, but going in and telling the manager got it released. It appears to me to be a case of poor training.

My issue with DI&S was having my debit card charged after I'd cancelled wellllll in advance. After much runaround they reversed the charges, then the next day charged me again. This was several years ago right around when similar stuff was happening with others. Since then I experienced one other charge after cancelling in advance from a different DL area hotel. That was remedied quickly and I hold no ill will against that hotel.

That said, I've considered booking with DI&S again. With a now family of six, they're a good option for us. I've not heard too terrible of things about DI&S recently, and if the manager I dealt with is no longer there that would put my mind at ease more. Carlos was his name. Anyone know (for my own future reference)?

To the OP -- Carousel is nice enough. We always liked it. But I'm thinking you'd need a suite of some type to accomodate your party. That would likely end up costing you more than a larger suite at DI&S.