PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian - room suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

rozcro
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
We are going to the Grand Californian for the first time in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions on rooms? We are staying in the basic room but didn't know if we should ask for a certain part of the hotel, floor??? We are very excited about staying at the hotel & don't want to be disappointed with the location of the room.

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 03:58 PM
We had a view of the monorail area. It was nice because you could see over to the World of Disney Store and somewhat into DL. We could see the matterhorn. I think a Theme Park view of CA or a pool view would have also been nice.

lbrackjo
01-18-2007, 04:02 PM
They have--I think--standard city view (parking/valet area); courtyard view; pool view; downtown disney view; and DCA view.

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Ours must have been the Courtyard view. I thought it was, but I was unsure so I didn't want to call it that. Thanks lbrackjo! When I booked the room it said standard city view. I was hoping for an upgrade, but when I asked the clerk said none were available. I guess she was mistaken because there were no ugly parking lot views from our room:)

pisces
01-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Theme Park View ---6th Floor, if they'll let you.

IdahoMike
01-18-2007, 09:19 PM
We were directly above where the newly arriving guests get their bags unloaded and it was perfectly fine. Of course, we spent about, oh, 1 minute looking off our patio. I think any view in the GCH is fine, but if you are someone who will spend some time outside on the patio, or wants a great view that you will actually look at for more than 30 seconds, I'd also go for a theme park view, higher up.

MadasaHatter
01-19-2007, 07:45 AM
I think the park views cost more. I might be wrong but you can always ask.

We had a courtyard view of the monorail and ate a couple of meals on the patio (we always get bread and cheese and I bring gorgeous wines) and it was a fantastic oasis away from the madding crowds.

We ate at the NAPA ROSE and it is VERRRRRRY spendy but go have a martini at the bar and the cheese plate is one of the best deals in the park and while sitting at the bar you have a great view of DCA so take advantage of that. The lounge is lovely too if you aren't a bar sitter like me. You will looooove it no matter what room you get.

Cheers,

see I am not always so mad,,,

madasahatter

pisces
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
I think the park views cost more.

Not always.

It depends what's available at the time of check-in.

However, if you want the park view guaranteed then you do have to pay extra.

Also, there is a sort of look-out/eating area....I think it's on the 3rd? floor, that has tables and chairs, which overlooks the pool and Sunwheel....I think.

I didn't make it over to that area this last trip. I know in 2005, that area was open to the public, and was a nice place to sit and eat.....with views.

I hope it's still there.

I'm thinking about doing Concierge, next December....for the sake of variety, and depending on my finances.....

IdahoMike
01-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you get with concierge? I was looking at vacation packages on expedia, and they wanted an extra $264 PER DAY to upgrade to concierge, and that was after the $340 room rate! I can't imagine what services would be available that would make it worth the $$$, but then again, my family isn't there to be pampered, we spend every waking minute in the park. Maybe it is worth it for others.

Pat-n-Eil
01-19-2007, 09:21 AM
We really enjoyed room 5345. 5th floor right in the middle of the wing that overlooks the Grizzly River Run - pretty much directly over the GCH entrance into DCA.

I took this picture from that room: http://www.thompent.com/disney2005/zdlr0805-05.jpg

Any room in that wing would be, in my opinion, awesome.

Here's a useful GCH diagram that Tink56 gave me the link to:
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/GrandCalifornian/map2.html

(odd number rooms from 333 to 359).. the first number of the room number would indicate the floor.. so room 2359 would be 2nd floor, room 4359 would be 4th floor, etc.)

geoffa
01-19-2007, 10:16 AM
The park view over DCA was great in the morning. We looked towards Screamin' and the Orange Stinger. We could sit with a coffee watching the CMs getting the park ready. At night it was great to look out over a Coney Island view. Our room was on 5th floor - Room 5010. They do cost extra if you specifically request one but they can be allocated depending on occupancyif you're lucky.

pisces
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you get with concierge? I was looking at vacation packages on expedia, and they wanted an extra $264 PER DAY to upgrade to concierge, and that was after the $340 room rate! I can't imagine what services would be available that would make it worth the $$$, but then again, my family isn't there to be pampered, we spend every waking minute in the park. Maybe it is worth it for others.

You get free food in the Concierge Lounge. And, it's not all bread and starches. I've seen them wheeling in cold-cuts and such.....

Supposedly, you can see the Fireworks from the Concierge Lounge, and they may pipe in the music. I'm not sure about this, as I've never been in Grand Californian Concierge Lounge at the exact moment the fireworks are going. But it seems like you would have good viewing since their Lounge faces that way. It might be Disneyland Hotel Concierge that pipes in the music.....but I seem to remember someone saying GCH Concierge does it too. ---That'd be nice for NYE, to watch the Midnight Countdown from there---which is why I'm strongly considering Concierge for myself, next NYE.

Forget Expedia. And forget packages, for that matter. I would just book directly, the room, from the Grand Californian---directly....and then add on Concierge, park tickets etc...

I believe, Concierge is only (only?) $100.00/per day.... above whatever the room rate is. I could be wrong on that though, as I haven't checked the new rates for 2007.

Expedia, and their weird fees etc...has never appealed to me.

pisces
01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/GrandCalifornian/map2.html

You might like the pool view---rooms 300-324 (even numbers only), right above the pool. The rooms on that side look out over both the pool and the Sunwheel. At night it's great because both pools, as well as the Sunwheel are all lit up.

The only thing is the bed configuration. All of the rooms on that side have bunk beds. The two suites (312, 318) don't though.

I've always wanted something on that side, but I don't like bunk beds, and can't afford the suites.

MinnieMomma
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
If you reserve a standard view, it could turn out to be either the courtyard view or the parking lot/valet area view. You don't know what you're going to get until you get there. I was told that both of those views are considered "standard". I find the parking lot view too noisy, but thats just me.
We stayed on the Concierge level in January. You can get water, Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite in bottles anytime. Also coffee, decaf, tea and hot chocolate. They offer food almost all day long in 3 hour increments. Its very filling and it certainly cut down on our outside food cost. You can also have wine and cordials in the afternoon/evening. The only one in our group that really needed an extra meal was my teenage son. I would think that whether or not it would be worth the extra money would depend on how many people were in your party and how long you're staying. The lounge is nice and since our balcony was too noisy with traffic and truck noise to sit out and enjoy our evening wine on, we sat on the lounge balcony. It looks out over the monorail courtyard. We watched the fireworks with the piped in music from there one night. It was nice, but you can't see the lower ones since you're viewing it over the roof of the DTD view rooms.
I'm glad I tried it since I had been curious for years, but I don't plan on ever paying that much extra again. Once was enough.

KimmyPooh
01-20-2007, 06:37 AM
I loved the room I had at GCH. My room was right over the monorail tracks. It was a park view. We didn't pay extra for it but asked for best available when we arrived.

pisces
01-20-2007, 08:22 AM
on the lounge balcony. It looks out over the monorail courtyard. We watched the fireworks with the piped in music from there one night. It was nice, but you can't see the lower ones since you're viewing it over the roof of the DTD view rooms.
I'm glad I tried it since I had been curious for years, but I don't plan on ever paying that much extra again.

Ah. The Lounge is above the Courtyard, but facing the direction of the fireworks---in any case.

The music is what I care about.

Also, you may not have to do Concierge every night of your stay. I'm wondering if you can just sample it one night, and then decide how you like it?

tinksmom
01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
The view you get depends on how much you pay.

Whatever view you decide, ask for a room close to the lobby elevator. You can get one in a variety of views. Ask again at check in. You do NOT want to be walking down 87 miles of corridor!

neverlander
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
We really enjoyed room 5345. 5th floor right in the middle of the wing that overlooks the Grizzly River Run - pretty much directly over the GCH entrance into DCA.
Just wondering... did 5345 have a bunkbed? We've stayed in 3345 twice, loved the location and bunkbed, but would like to be higher up.
Do all the floors have bunkbeds?
Thanks.

Pat-n-Eil
03-01-2007, 08:21 AM
No, this was a double queen bed..

Hi-Ho
03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I have always wanted to stay at GCH, but for those of you that have stayed there....is it REALLY worth the money? If so, maybe we will try and switch our hotel plans this spring. I have such a hard time justifying $350 per night (plus tax) when we spend most of our time in the parks. Thoughts?

yellowrosedtxn
03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
If you have 5 people and you have a Theme Park/Pool View Room do you know what floor that might be on? I'm just curious. We are going this year for Christmas and I am SO excited. We have never stayed at the Grand Californian. I LOVE the Disneyland Hotel, and in May will be staying for the first time at Paradise Pier so I will be able to see which hotel I like the most.

Thanks in advance.

Shelley

neverlander
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply about the room, Pat & Eil.
To address the "Is it worth it?" question, to us, yes. We've had two wonderful stays at the GCH and have never questioned whether it was worth the splurge. With two small children, the convenience of being able to jet to our room to nap, change clothes and even brush our teeth was invaluable. We went in and out so many times on our last visit, that the lady at the gate teased that she could close her eyes and list everything in my purse because she had looked in it so many times. It was just so wonderfully convenient!
In addition to the proximity to the parks, the property (as you probably all know) is beautiful. What a great feeling to step out of the busy parks to this restful haven! With a view room over DCA entrance, DH and I could still feel like we were experiencing the excitement of the park when our kids needed to rest. (Though it never seemed loud or bothersome.) Ironically, the pool and the bunkbeds there are our kids' favorite part of Disneyland!
I may have a different perspective when our children are older and we're looking for more space in a room. (Suite prices - yikes!) For now, with small children, this is perfect.
Is there anyone out there who has stayed in various view rooms? Do you like the pool view or the entrance view better? And, are the bunkbeds staggered on every floor, or are they only located on particular floors? (CMs haven't been too enthusiastic about answering all my questions... guess I've have too many questions and requests when I've called.) For that amount of $$$ though, I want what I want. :)
Thanks for all your help!

Agent
03-01-2007, 11:15 AM
We have stayed at The GCH several times with every view except the one which faces the parking lot. My personal favorite is Grizzly River Run. However, the consensus among the staff seems to be that the theme park/pool is better. I only say that because when we have a suite they always put us in the middle ones by the pools and tell us it is the most requested view.

There are bunkbeds on all the floors. If you want a certain room and can't locate it's configuration (which is very difficult to do!) I would simply request a bunkbed room on a certain floor closest to the room location you like. For instance, a bunkbed room on the fifth floor closest to room 5345. That should give the assignor plenty of information. Also, remember that your request must match the view you have paid for.

I personally can't stand the courtyard view. Nothing against the scenery, but we call it the walk from hell. Of course, it is all in the room location. We had a very secluded room from noise, but the drawback was the distance from the elevators. We use the hotel entrance to DCA a lot, so for us we prefer the wing near Napa Rose.

When we stay at Paradise or The DLH I am not so concerned about room placement, but when we are at The Grand, I too feel like for the money I really would like the room that meets our needs the best. Hope this helps!

pisces
03-03-2007, 09:48 AM
are the bunkbeds staggered on every floor, or are they only located on particular floors? (CMs haven't been too enthusiastic about answering all my questions... guess I've have too many questions and requests when I've called.) For that amount of $$$ though, I want what I want. :)
Thanks for all your help!

Ironically, the pool and the bunkbeds there are our kids' favorite part of Disneyland!

Get a Grand Californian Room map. The 300 to 324 wing, the corridor that directly faces the pool and dead-on view of the Sunwheel.....all have bunkbeds!

...or they used to. They are redoing the beds and TVs at the GCH. But, as of last December that wing, 'cept for the two suites in the middle, all had bunks!

And that's one of the very best corridors of the GCH there is---with the pool all lit up a night, not to mention the lit sunwheel!

I remember being very disappointed that they didn't have any king rooms along that wing. It's really all bunks (300-324) on all floors.

Is there anyone out there who has stayed in various view rooms?

I have tons of pics of park view rooms I've had over the years, most with the Green Meadow in the foreground, and the Sunwheel in the background.

I spent almost one day in a Courtyard View room, and didn't like it, although that was mainly because of the two Queen beds with no sofa.

I really like the king bed, and sofa configuration---no matter what the view, although I always do end up with Park views, ...in any case.

Again, see my Grand Californian Christmas room photos below, if you can find them all mixed in with a few Vegas photos...

....And here's my older Grand Californian Room photos on Flicker, mixed in with a few LA County Fair photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pisceslibra/

I really need to do a better job organizing these albums!

gchcm
03-04-2007, 01:36 PM
The 300 to 324 wing, the corridor that directly faces the pool and dead-on view of the Sunwheel.....all have bunkbeds!

...or they used to. They are redoing the beds and TVs at the GCH. But, as of last December that wing, 'cept for the two suites in the middle, all had bunks!

I remember being very disappointed that they didn't have any king rooms along that wing. It's really all bunks (300-324) on all floors.

The 300-324 wing is not entirely made up of Queen/Bunk bed rooms. There are also Queen/Queen and King/Sofa pull-out rooms in that row. This has been true since the hotel first opened.