PDA

View Full Version : False Advertising

Ace
05-30-2002, 07:40 PM
At my high school, they have a bunch of Disneyland Grad Night posters. Of course, being the Squinky that I am... The main picture is Tommorowland, then there're 2 small pictures. One of Indy, and one of The Castle. But the INdy one is the source of the false advertising... It shows a car full of seniors leaning to one side and screaming.... but the car is IN THE STATION! That means the photographer said "lean to the left and look scared". How do I know this?

[list=1]
There is another car very close behind this one
They can't take photos when the ride is going because of the key-in, key-out system
I can tell that the wall next to them is the station's wall
[/list=1]

so there. I am a super detective!

Uncle Dick
05-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
so there. I am a super detective!
Your deductive skills are indeed impressive, but how is this false advertising? You yourself said that they can't take photos while the ride is actually in motion, so the only way to convey the excitement of the ride would be to stage it in the station. Or maybe it was just a candid shot of the seniors realizing that they had paid almost full price for a night at Disneyland with half of the attractions closed. :rolleyes: (Grad Nite sucked!!)

Ace
05-30-2002, 07:54 PM
<<Or maybe it was just a candid shot of the seniors realizing that they had paid almost full price for a night at Disneyland with half of the attractions closed.>>

haha.... grad DAY (middle school) was alright.... and if it's your parents' money, what's the problem?

Uncle Dick
05-30-2002, 07:57 PM
haha.... grad DAY (middle school) was alright.... and if it's your parents' money, what's the problem?
Except for the annual family trip to Disneyland, I've always had to pay for any additional visits on my own whether it be Grad Nite, CSF Nite, or a weekend holiday. Grad Nite was a waste of both money and a good night's sleep.

Ghoulish Delight
05-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick

You yourself said that they can't take photos while the ride is actually in motion, so the only way to convey the excitement of the ride would be to stage it in the station. They could do it the same way they get action shots of people on coasters, mount a camera on the hood. But I suppose that's a bit far for a lame Grad Night poster.

Nigel2
05-30-2002, 09:21 PM
Or if they are brave enough try to copy the image of the "people" in the promotioal poster. But odds are they don't even want to run that risk.

FantasmicFan82
05-31-2002, 02:37 AM
Ahh yes, the poster... I have one at home now (we didn't need as many as we got eventually) I was at my old HS thursday selling tix with our PTA (excuse me, PTSA) and all i have to say is "Monsters!" but hey, half of our 300 some-odd tickets are gone in one day... and the rest will be gone withing hours...

oh, and sorry UD, i've been 4 times, never sucked!

BTW, who'll be there this year? I'll be there on June 20th, with the rest of the LAUSD. Anyone up for a meet? i'll meetcha at C.H. (whoo hoo, free coffee and food all night!)

coronamouseman
05-31-2002, 06:18 AM
SQKY:

How many times have you seen promotional photos which present the product in a very flattering way only to find out when you get there that the photographer had their back on a trash heap or something unsightly?

"Perspective" is one of the key features in providing marketing and advertising materials so if you find that the shot in question is inaccurate, well, welcome to reality!

Obviously, Disney wanted to show prospective grad "customers" that they could have a deliriously happy experience at DL even if the actual mechanics of the photo were incorrect - clearly, the message was meant to be an emotional one and not neccessarily a documentary on the workings of the ride..........

But you knew that, didn't you?

Ace
05-31-2002, 04:41 PM
free food?

DisneylandKid
05-31-2002, 09:27 PM
so there. I am a super detective! congratulations...

Nigel2
05-31-2002, 09:50 PM
Speaking of indy (well we are) does anyone else think it is in need of a rehab soon? Last time I went the doors lights weren't on cue, the mirror was not working, and the last indy's mouth was not moving at all. Also if I remember correctly Indy has never had a full rehab if any.

Oh, and the "lava" (water) was completely drained out of the cavern of bubbling death.

coronamouseman
06-01-2002, 06:31 AM
N2: Jeez, don't give them any excuse to close it down for an extended period of time because who knows what the lawyer's will come up with - replace the transport cars with the safer "Doom Buggy" technology of HM? keep the lights on so as not to frighten those who might be subject to high blood pressure or stress-related illnesses? close the queue area because it makes some people claustrophobic?

Isn't the mechanical door system and sometimes non-operating Indy AA's part of the "randomization" of the show program - sometimes they will work and other times not?

Nigel2
06-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
close the queue area because it makes some people claustrophobic?

Isn't the mechanical door system and sometimes non-operating Indy AA's part of the "randomization" of the show program - sometimes they will work and other times not?

Tooo late:D I can understand why they might not want people all the way to the temple enterance (especiallly during the summer or with visitors who's "hygeene levels" vary from ours:eek: ) but they keep it down close to the end so there is a large group outside sometimes.

Oh, don't give them any ideas on how to pass off something like that as "part of the system":D