PDA

View Full Version : [How long for castle and entry flower bed refurb?] Question for Darkbeer

Pages : [1] 2 3

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I noticed in your Disneyland update pictures for 1/17/07 that the Castle and the front of the train station are being Refurbed? Do you know how long they will be like this? We are going to DL from Feb 5-10 and I would really be bummed if all my fav photo ops are covered up. Just wouldn't feel the same:crying:
Thanks
Michelle

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Actually I meant to say the Castle and the Flower bed at the main gate not the actual train station. Sorry:)

chrisaustx
01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
The castle needs to be repainted and the gold accents on the towers removed, my guess is at least 45 days. The front of the train station has problems, there is paint peeling off the front of the building which faces the entry gates, I hope they repaint that too while they are at it. I was looking at the castle last weekend and was feeling sad that all those gold accents will soon be gone and that drab old color will be coming back. :crying:

nvmom
01-19-2007, 08:02 AM
The castle has a tarp on it??

nvmom

Darkbeer
01-19-2007, 08:37 AM
The castle has a tarp on it??

nvmom

The bottom 2/3'rd are covered up currently, here is a photo from yesterday (Thursday)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2368022/5/124051714/Large

bathtubs
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
So that wont be gone by the 10th of feb will it? That will suck to take people who have never been there to see the castle and they cant :(

abookworm
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
I certainly hope it's all done by March 8! This is our first trip and all my DD ever talks about is the castle-for her not to get to see it in all it's glory would really be a major let down :(

nvmom
01-19-2007, 09:46 AM
So that wont be gone by the 10th of feb will it? That will suck to take people who have never been there to see the castle and they cant I agree. I never say to much because I well realize that by choosing to go on the off season we deal w/refurbs, rides being down, parades/fireworks on the weekends only, etc. Still, with the castle being the focal point of the park it seems like they could handle painting or something during the off hours and not have to tarp it quite like that?? You can't even walk thru it... I'm disappointed for my kids and my inlaws who've never been there.

nvmom

my2princesses
01-19-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree nvmom. We always go during the off season so we expect refurbs, but having the castle covered stinks:( We went in 2005 while they were getting ready for the 50th and they had the Castle covered because they were putting the 50th paint sceme on. I really missed getting our usual Castle photo and just enjoying the view. It seems like there is a lot of refurb and new building going on right now with the castle, flower bed, railroad,finding nemo, and taking down the 50th stuff. I hope it doesn't feel like a contruction zone when we go in a couple of weeks. But it's still DL and we LOVE DL so we will manage:)

Michelle

chrisaustx
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I was told several months ago that the inside of the castle has structural problems and basically the whole building needs to be torn down and replaced. Instead of Disneyland putting a band-aid on the problem by repainting and patching, its probably smarter for them to demo the castle and build a new modern steel structure, identical to the current wooden frame structure. I am sure the castle has lots of termite damage and the wood frame is in very bad shape.

my2princesses
01-19-2007, 10:55 AM
That would be so sad:( I know if they have to they have to, but I am one for the history of things and that is the original castle that Walt oversaw being built. It wouldn't be the same for me, but I understand the safety issues.

Michelle

Bytebear
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Can you imagine them replacing the castle with a bigger better version? I am torn. In once sense it would be the end of an era, but at the other, it would be nice to have the walkthrough or some other attraction (re)open.

I suppose if they can build a replica for Hong Kong, they could replace the castle with minimal effort. But with all the new lighting affects on the castle for the 50th, I can't see how they could improve too much.

Maybe they can do what they are doing with Matterhorn, and replace the structure interior without ripping down the whole building.

nvmom
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
So are they actually doing a rebuild of the castle? or just painting and such? And can they do the fireworks w/the the castle all tarped up? Well, of course they can... I guess it just won't be as pleasing to watch?

We were there in March 05 when they were gearing up for the 50th and there's was lots of construction and maintenance going on. It was our first time and we really didn't even notice most of it. It's a little hard to miss the castle all tarped up though. :) :(

nvmom

nvmom
01-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Oh and what are they doing to the flowerbed? Is that expected to take a long time too?

nvmom

chrisaustx
01-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Check out the flower bed, my gosh this is takcy, they might be doing the same thing to the castle, lets all hope they wont:
The Mickey floral arrangement now has the Year of a Million Dreams swirls added, I think this is very tacky:
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199206-M.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199223-M.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199262-M.jpg
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com

chrisaustx
01-19-2007, 06:19 PM
So are they actually doing a rebuild of the castle? or just painting and such? And can they do the fireworks w/the the castle all tarped up? Well, of course they can... I guess it just won't be as pleasing to watch?

We were there in March 05 when they were gearing up for the 50th and there's was lots of construction and maintenance going on. It was our first time and we really didn't even notice most of it. It's a little hard to miss the castle all tarped up though. :) :(

nvmom
I was looking at what is going on with the castle today, more construciton scaffolds are going up, I think whatever is going on is major. From what I was told by a 25 year veteran Disneyland Cast Member, the wood in the structure has degraded and the building has serious issues, like any 51 year old large wooden building. Check out this photo today of more scaffolds going up, I have no idea about the fireworks being done from the castle.
http://chrisaustx.smugmug.com/photos/124199390-M.jpg

JookyG
01-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the Disney photographers are still out in front taking guest photos. I think it would be hilarious to get a family photo done in front of the tarped castle. You know how they have the guests hold their hands out and then an image of Tinkerbell is superimposed on the photo? They should put a hardhat on her or something during the refurb. If they did that, I might actually pay to have one of those photos taken, just because it would be so unique. Bazillions of photos are taken in front of the castle, but how many in front of the tarped castle?

Darkbeer
01-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I wonder if the Disney photographers are still out in front taking guest photos. I think it would be hilarious to get a family photo done in front of the tarped castle. You know how they have the guests hold their hands out and then an image of Tinkerbell is superimposed on the photo? They should put a hardhat on her or something during the refurb. If they did that, I might actually pay to have one of those photos taken, just because it would be so unique. Bazillions of photos are taken in front of the castle, but how many in front of the tarped castle?

There are NO PhotoPass folks in front of the castle, they are still taking photos next to the Partners Statue.

They also stopped taking photos when the Floral Mickey was behind the wall, they resumed when the walls were removed.

DisneyPrincessCat
01-22-2007, 05:57 AM
I did not realize the castle was "down" for refurb. WOW!:eek: In all my trips there I have never seen the castle in refurb. I am goint to be celebrating my 53rd on Jan 30th and we will br there that whole weekend. So much stuff in refurb. Oh well, off season, at least the lines will be short for the attractions. That is a blessing, short lines! I will have to get the official "in front of the castle tarp" pic this trip. Amazing! If it needs to be refurbed and actually rebuilt, go for it, all sentimentality aside, it must be safe. Termite damage is NOT safe. I am torn about the original, but if they could rebuild the castle in sections off site, then take out the old one in sections and move in the new one and then place the old one on display somewhere where guests could not walk through or touch, that would be awesome.;) This next trip coming up this weekend will definitely be interesting in light of all the down rides, I don't ride Splash anyway, but I am a little sad about missing iasw for Christmas undoing. Oh well, we WILL be back. This is our third trip in 4 months! It was a fluke this yr going so often in such a short time, we usually go 2-3 times per yr, but spread em out. Mind you, I am NOT complaining! The more trips, the better. Halloween was a last minute visit with friends in the magical Place, an add-on to our NoCal trip to visit family, then Christmas which was the trip from H-E double hockey sticks:mad: (more on that on a trip thread I will post), so we are going to try again for a trip with no blizzard delay, food poisoning, in the hotel bed for 4 days!!!!!! This trip will be wet ones in the backpack, airborne every 3 hours and a face mask if I MUST on the Plane! I will take one, just in case there are a lot of snotty kids on board. Sorry off topic, but it will be a hoot to see the tarped castle. We will get to see it again in full regalia although I will miss all that 50th gold and shiny overlay. It was stunnung!. I feel for the vacationers who may only make this one trip to DL and the castle is all wrapped up and fenced off. That is one trippy picture of the castle!
sues:geek:

Katran
01-22-2007, 06:03 AM
That is such a bummer about the castle! Will the shops connected to it still be open? My youngest daughter will be really bummed if she can't go in that little princess shoppe.

JookyG, I think your hard-hat Tinkerbell idea is great, lol!! I would get my photo done like that, just for kicks. :D

disneyherewecome
01-22-2007, 06:07 AM
So does anyone know when the castle refurb will be done? We will be going March 10-14. Any help is appreciated. My DD is looking forward to "Cindaella's" castle and I don't want any tarps!

my2princesses
01-22-2007, 09:24 AM
That is such a bummer about the castle! Will the shops connected to it still be open? My youngest daughter will be really bummed if she can't go in that little princess shoppe.

JookyG, I think your hard-hat Tinkerbell idea is great, lol!! I would get my photo done like that, just for kicks. :D

I noticed in one of Darkbeer's photo updates for 1/17/07 that there is a sign saying that the shop is open during refurb:)

Michelle

DisneyBubbles
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
So are they really going to tear it down and build it again from scratch?

Bolivar
01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Isn't it one big buidling that has the castle in the middle and Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Pinochio and Snow White in wings of the same building on the sides? Sure you could bring down part of the building and rebuild just the damaged parts, but if the problem is extensive, wouldn't those parts of the building need replacing as well?

It seems to me there would be much more rumor swirling about if the castle was being replaced and not just repainted or repaired in some more minor ways.

DisneyDustin22
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I noticed in one of Darkbeer's photo updates for 1/17/07 that there is a sign saying that the shop is open during refurb:)

Michelle
I was just there on Friday and you can pretty much walk right up to it. All the shops are open and both side entrances from Frontierland and Tomorrowland are open. Even the crystal shop inside the castle from Fantasyland is open. Or at least was when I was there. The work doesn't seem to be affecting any of the surrounding atmosphere at this time. The tarps arent that bad at the moment. Unlike when they were repainting and the whole thing was covered. Its basically covered from the top of the bridge entranceway down. everything else above is viewable. From the rear, the entire castle is in view with the exception of the walkway, which is behind walls.