Darkbeer
05-30-2002, 06:30 PM
From the Wall Street Journal....

http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/clevey/?id=110001775

The headline is... "Let's Roll
Don't let the ambulance chasers take away our thrill rides."

socabch
05-31-2002, 07:21 AM
That is a great article. The last paragraph makes some valid points. It's not the responsibility of the parks to get a clean bill of health from your doctor. Can you imagine the lines if the lawyers started implying that parks need to know that the guest is healthy enough to ride? CM says "Now let me see you doctor's note before you ride".

Thanks for the article! Made my day!:cool:

DBJ
05-31-2002, 07:45 AM
If lawyers have their way, an MRI will be required to prove that a guest has no pre-existing medical conditions.

Does anybody think that Disney should not have settled the Indy cases? In my opinion, by settling out, they only opened themselves (and other theme parks) to more lawsuits.

In the article, they touch on the absurdity of the Goliath case at SFMM. I may not be a lawyer, but how can a family sue when the autopsy revealed the guest was in poor health (and therefore ignoring the posted warnings on the ride) and proven to have a pre-existing anuerism, the ride proven without a shadow of a doubt to have no mechanical failures at the time of the incident by the state of CA, and is the only fatality after millions of riders have enjoyed Goliath since it opened in 2000? What possible evidence can be presented to show that Goliath and Six Flags, Inc. are responsible?

If one person out of the six million guests (going by SFMM average 3 million + visitors a year) dies from complications of their poor personal health, how is the park responsible? I hope Six Flags does not settle, and fights this all the way to discourage future lawsuits by attorneys looking to make a quick buck.

Disney should join in the Six Flags study to prove that their rides are overwhelmingly safe forms of recreation. One of the rides mentioned in Markey's study based on no real science is Disney's Matterhorn! Disney, along with Cedar Fair, Six Flags, Universal, etc. have to step in and stop this moronic legislation and frivolous lawsuit epidemic from spreading.