PDA

View Full Version : Snow closes Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles -- SFGate/AP

Andrew
01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Snow closes Interstate 5 north of Los Angeles (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/01/17/state/n113859S70.DTL&feed=rss.news) -- SFGate/AP, 2007-01-17

Blizzard conditions brought traffic to a halt on Interstate 5 in the mountains north of Los Angeles on Wednesday as a sudden storm added to woes of biting cold that has kept its grip on California for a week, even causing unusual temperature-related ruptures in water pipes.

Heavy snow and icy conditions left vehicles stuck on the major route, which climbs over 4,144-foot Tejon Pass from the Los Angeles Basin north to the San Joaquin Valley. A heavy backup developed on the south side. "We have jackknifed trucks in the snow we're trying to get out of there," said Officer Dave Pokorny of the California Highway Patrol's Newhall Station.

mi_mous
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I really hate this "cold snap" we are having.

I feel sorry for any travellers that are trying to head north on the 5.

You know it is bad when they shut the LA freeway for SNOW of all things!

disneyhound
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
"Grapevine" is closed...

stan4d_steph
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I'd get out my violin to play, but the case is frozen shut and my fingers are too numb to open the latch.

nvmom
01-17-2007, 08:40 PM
All I can say is that it must warm up before I get there on Feb. 8. I'm wanting warm weather so badly... it's been below zero in the mornings for quite some time.

nvmom

Bytebear
01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
It snowed in Malibu today.

zombie pirate
01-18-2007, 04:55 AM
I live 20 miles from the coast in San Diego, the oranges on my orange tree frooze. Its been in the teens at night. Yep, Global warming. I imagine Anihiem been cold in the morning.

MollyTrolly
01-18-2007, 07:42 AM
We also had snow in Santa Clarita, in fact today was the first day in a week when it was over 40 degrees when I left my house at 6:30am (and it was only 41 degrees). It is supposed to warm up, we never have cold spells for too long!

yohomama212
01-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Okay, so the last time the "Grapevine" was closed due to snow, my mom and I were headed up with the kids to see my sister. We spent so much time looking for alternate routes that by the time we actually got on the road, it was open again. We got up there and there was slush on the sides of the roads. Talked to some of the people up there in Gorman and found out that it hadn't really snowed since the night before and even they were puzzled by the reports. I have lots of yard work to do today involving lots of water and I really don't want to end up stuck frozen to the patio! The winds are picking up horribly and all I want to do is take my kids to see the fireworks at DL just once! F! is probably going to be insanely cold on Sunday, if it happens at all! I hate this stupid weather and wish we could just be perfect OC again!

Done whining now!

Liz :cool:

Pat-n-Eil
01-18-2007, 09:39 AM
It snowed in Malibu today.

This whole global warming thing is such a bite..