lagunachadling
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Which one do (did) you prefer?

just beatla33
01-17-2007, 01:04 PM
EO of course, but I'd prefer something better there instead

Disney Vault
01-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I never saw EO but I just don't like the idea of it.

yohomama212
01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
I haven't seen Honey, I Shrunk the Audience but I can say with a certain amount of confidence that I would still prefer Captain EO. (Part of that could be because I married a man who really is named Michael Jackson.) I always loved the show and after trips to the park my friends and I would try to recreate the big dance scene during recess. The music stuck in our heads for weeks and we all had the same story of reaching out to grab the little furry guy and getting a handful of some old lady's hair instead!

Liz :cool:

Gone2Disneyland
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
That's a toughy. My first thought was HISTA, but my mind also thinks of each show as apples to oranges. One's a musical adventure, the other a straight comedy, and the latter has the benefit of enhancements to the auditorium.

I guess long story short (or short story short ;) ), HISTA.

Bytebear
01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I only saw EO once, so can't really remember it in detail, but I have seen Honey several times and it is getting a bit dated (with the bad haircuts and big red "Sally Jessy" glasses).

I guess they need something that is 1) timeless, and 2) repeatable. The great thing about Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Small World is that you can ride them a dozen times and catch something new, and the story never gets old. They also don't change over time (well other than PC, and movie tie ins). Honey gets a little old, and the tactile stimuli become predictable. Maybe they can put EO into DCA! But since Jackson is pretty much washed up, we should think about who can replace him. Any suggestions?

mi_mous
01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Eo has that cute flying creature thing that my friends and I thought was soooo cute.

Honey I shrunk the audience has the rats...

I am with Gone2Disneyland, they are like comparing apples and oranges. Both have their good and bad points.

I'm torn, but I do remember going into Captain EO with my cousin and we were laughing the whole time, because it was so outdated, and cheesy. That was the last time I saw it. But, I think I like Captain EO for nostalgia more than anything.

LLevy
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Captain EO - I'm a musical fan from way back, and music is very important to the best disney rides and attractions. I just felt *good* leaving EO.. you cannot say the same thing about HISTA..

LL

Tinkermommy
01-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I've seen them both, as well as the one that came before Captain EO. I can't remember the name of it.

I've enjoyed them all, but I think it's time again for a new show. We haven't been to see it in years; just not interested yet another viewing. Time for a change!

Andrew
01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I've seen them both, as well as the one that came before Captain EO. I can't remember the name of it.
Magic Journeys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Journeys).

Niwel
01-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Eo -- 100% :)

disneyhound
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
HISTA is the only one we have seen, so... MJ is an outdated concept!

danyoung
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I think they did a good job of updating the technology with HISTA. But for me EO just has far more impact. And to Disney Vault, remember, this was way before MJ had all of his troubles come out in public, and he was a genuine superstar. The show was produced and directed by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppela, respectively, and was really a first class production. There just wasn't anything quite like exiting the show with the exit music still jamming on "Another PPPPart of Me"!

DisneyMa
01-17-2007, 03:50 PM
I like Honey I Shrunk the Audience better.

SteveK
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
HISTA for me as well. Was never much of a MJ fan and having watched the EO show on DVD recently, it was pretty cheesy. At least HISTA has some humor in it though the repeatablity is low...at least for me.

cstephens
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
EO, hands down. I saw that a number of times and would go see it again, recent events notwithstanding.

I've seen HISTA exactly once - and no desire to ever see it again.

vfire
01-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Neither, and bring Mickey's PhilharMagic to us at last. Yes, it's a stretch in Tomorrowland but then again so is Nemo...

I Heart Disneyland!
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Captain EO, in the day. Today...I'd not like either, but, wish they'd fill that space with something fun!

John
01-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I like them both. Perhaps DL could alternate between the two shows.

az_snow
01-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I never saw EO... but once is enough for HISTA. I think it is so outdated they seriously need to replace it. I also think that instead of trying to "reinvent" perfectly good rides (SM) with a new "hip" soundtrack (and I happen to like the Chili Peppers) they should get rid of HISTA and get something from this decade at least. I understand that there is quite a difference in money for replacing a whole attraction and putting a new soundtrack and sign on an existing ride... but still. Don't fix something that isn't broken.
Ok, off my soapbox.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Personally, I found parts of EO that I liked better than MJ or HISTA, but also parts that I didn't care for. I liked the visuals, and the concept, and thought James Horner's music for the first part was great, but didn't care at all for Jackson's music in the finale.

As to HISTA, well, I've had eyes for Marcia Strassman ever since her days as Mrs. Kotter. :D

The problem with bringing EO back is that Jackson's image is not exactly "squeaky clean" any more.

danyoung
01-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree that there's no way that EO could ever come back to any Disney park. But then that wasn't the OP's question.

pirategal forever
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Without a doubt, Captain EO!

hbquikcomjamesl
01-18-2007, 12:13 PM
No, it wasn't the OP's question. That last remark was in response to John's comment about alternating the shows.

And I wasn't kidding about Marcia Strassman (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1361/9291_0024.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0072582&seq=3), either.

I really don't see what all the fuss is with people hating HISTA. I don't see it every time I go to DL, or even every year, but I've always enjoyed it. I would, however, love to see PhilharMagic find a home on the West Coast. Dunno where, though.

Niwel
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
I would, however, love to see PhilharMagic find a home on the West Coast. Dunno where, though.

As would I ...
The only place I can see there being room is the old Millionaire building (or removing the Muppets).