PDA

View Full Version : Was Disneyland your motivation?

mi_mous
01-16-2007, 07:55 PM
I remember in High School, we hated running the mile. I think most people did. We had to run the mile every week. Which looking back, isn't too bad at all. But, back then, it was like torture.

Anyways, I remember running with some friends, and to get us motivated, we would make up scenarios. A lot of them had to do with DL.

For example:

"You are at DL, and someone just announced that there is no line on Space Mountain/Splash Mountain." (This was pre-fast pass.) And, off we would run.

For some reason, that has always stuck in my head. It was silly really, but it was our motivation to get through the grueling mile that we had to run back then.

Anyone else have motivations like we did that had to do with DL?

dznyphreak
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, I didn't use this as motivation, but your example reminded me of a good story...

The date: July 2, 2005. The place: California Screamin' in DCA.
My mom gets a call from her friend who is in DL across the way. The message: Space Mountain is having a soft opening! We haul butt over to SM in about 5 min, including time to get in and out of the gates. Talk about crazy crowd dodging! We were out of breath, but it was worth it!

lagunachadling
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I remember when I was in junior high during the summer when the park would stay open until 1am, we would run throughout the park from about 11:30pm until close, and see how many rides we could go on, all the crowds would leave after the fireworks and Main Street Electrical parade, and there would be no lines, especially on a week night, that would never happen now, especially with the stand-by lines

disney jones
01-17-2007, 07:25 PM
still have them!

projects with stress and deadlines at work makin' me sweat? :(
dealing with difficult people at work? :mad:

i remind myself to keep the hand on the plow, that putting up with it all is what pays the bills and eventually gets me back to the HPOE! :D

Tinkermommy
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Sort of a Disneyland motivation story -- I grew up in the High Desert when it truly was the middle of nowhere. My Girl Scout troop was going to Disneyland on a Saturday, and had to meet our leader at the junior high school very early in the morning to ride down.

My mother was to take us to the school, and since it was so early, she went in her robe and slippers. Wouldn't you know it -- her car broke down about a mile from the school. There were no cell phones then, and there were not many houses in the area -- just wide, open desert surrounding the school -- which was, of course, closed.

My mom just shrugged her shoulders and suggested we get out and run. We felt SO guilty leaving her there in her jammies (what awful Girl Scouts we must have been!), but it was Disneyland, for Heaven's sake! So we piled out of the car and RAN as fast as we could to the school. We made it, and funny thing, I have no idea how my mom got out of that pickle. (Note to self: get Mom something nice from Disneyland for Mother's Day...:p )

az_snow
01-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Interesting thread... I don't think I had any Disney inpsired moments quite like that.. but ever since I was a small child I had a reoccurring dream about Disneyland. Well, not so much being in DL as being outside. I remember the first time I went to DL, I was 6 or so. We went to breakfast one day at a restaurant near DL and my parents told me something like look, you can see DL from here... it's right over that fence etc. Well ever since then I had dreams that I was behind a huge block wall fence and could see colorful lights and hear exciting music, but I couldn't get to it. I had this dream for years (I think that first trip was my only time until I was married, perhaps I went one other time when I was about the same age.. no one can remember :confused: ) Luckily, I married into a family that visited DL quite often. We went to DL with my dh and family for the first time in '98 (and twice since then) and I stopped having the dream. I guess that my dream was fufilled. Now I have another reoccurring dream about DL... that we are in an airport and we are flying there... which has never happened since we live in Arizona and we always drive. I don't know how I am going to get rid of that one!

LibertyCall
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Disneyland is inspiring me to get past the last craptastic year. It's something we can finally look forward to. As someone else around here said, it's therapy for us, LOL.

joannabanana
01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
We had a trip planned 4 days after my last final last semester. Talk about motivation to study!

canadasunflower
01-18-2007, 04:20 AM
I'd say! I am working a second job to save up for the trip we are taking in July. I hate working from 8 am pretty much until midnight (with my two jobs), but at the end of every shift I am that much closer to DISNEYLAND!:D

Katran
01-18-2007, 05:49 AM
DH and I aren't very good with money. We live paycheck to paycheck most of the time. But when we want to save for Disneyland, it's amazing how much we can put away, lol! :p

tinker3
01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Whenever we talk about our next DL trip, I am working a few extra shifts and having garage sales to help with $ for the trip.

I always use DL thoughts when my kids have a bad dream or trouble getting to sleep. We start with "We just walked through the gates and we are on main street, now think of where you want to go...." Happy thoughts! :D

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
No I have never done that, but that is a great idea to keep me going on the Elliptical:)

Michelle

az_snow
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I have to add to my answer after reading LibertyCall's... I didn't think of it that way. Disneyland is my inspiration right now for getting through fixing up and selling our house. It has taken a long time, but finally we are 2 weeks from closing... and it's been so stressful for us first time home sellers... that thinking about and planning a trip to DL (and visiting Mouseplanet) has been my distraction. It will be our big reward for getting through this and other "craptastic" things that have happened this year. For my dh and I, and also the kids... for having to keep their rooms straightened up at all time for all the showings.. and for having to deal with their stressed out parents. That is why we are also wanting to surprise them with the trip.. tell them we are going somewhere else and show up at DL.

yohomama212
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't have an exercise type motivation story, though when I get closer to my due date, I think I will enjoy the change of scenery! (I walked my other two into labor at the local malls and that gets really boring after a while!) But DL certainly helps when it's time to get the kids to pick up their toys! "Do you want to go see Mickey on Friday?" has suddenly become a very inspiring question!

Liz :cool:

wabby1
01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Some nice and interesting experiences shared with this thread. I'm 47....been to Disneyland 10 times in my lifetime.....and the past couple of years I've grown to be addicted to it. I'm in euphoria when I'm there, and during my stay I never want it to end. I keep thinking of how long it will be before I make it back there. Lately, it seems I have to get my fix every other year. My new wife doesn't understand this fully.....she's worked in the travel business, and has traveled all over the world....has been to Disneyland more times than I....has visited Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World.....and she marries me.....a confirmed Disneyland Geek....But she always reminds me that there's so many places I've never been to that we really should be saving our vacation money for....for example, I've never been to Washington DC, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Hawaii...never been on a cruise....and I really WANT to do those things....but I always have it in my mind that Disneyland is where I want to be. Its truly the "happiest place on earth" for me. I have made a commitment however that after this next trip to D/L in June....we'll save for a cruise in 2008. In short, I'm ALWAYS MOTIVATED to go to Disneyland! I hope to continue to go regularly, even if its a weekend drive from Salt Lake to Anaheim....buy a 2-day park hopper....then home....I gots to do it, people! I'd especially like to go to the park during the holidays....something I've never done.

az_snow
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I am with you Wabby... I could go anywhere (reasonable) this year... but the first place I think of is DL. And when we have gone to other places, like Yellowstone (which is great) I am thinking about how we could have gone to DL.
Sometime you should go during the holidays.. it is beautiful. It is the best because you have already been there, and you can appreciate the changes.