PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Free Dessert for Fantasmic Balcony?

FoodLover
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
I will be going to Disneyland next month and doing the Fantasmic Balcony seating (which includes a dessert buffet) with a friend. I've already reserved this.

Today I remembered my friend is diabetic, so I wanted to make arrange some sort of sugar free dessert for him. I called the balcony reservations number, which seems to go to a ticket center. The woman I spoke with put me on hold and then came back and said "sorry, it's no longer possible." Huh?

I also tried calling Dining Reservations and they said they had no idea since they don't book the balcony seating.

Is it actually true that Disney can't supply some sort of sugar free option? If so, I am really surprised, because Disney is usually excellent about dealing with guests' dietary restrictions. It seems ridiculous that my friend will be paying $59 to watch everyone else eat dessert!

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Malcon10t
01-16-2007, 12:17 PM
I will be going to Disneyland next month and doing the Fantasmic Balcony seating (which includes a dessert buffet) with a friend. I've already reserved this.

Today I remembered my friend is diabetic, so I wanted to make arrange some sort of sugar free dessert for him. I called the balcony reservations number, which seems to go to a ticket center. The woman I spoke with put me on hold and then came back and said "sorry, it's no longer possible." Huh?

I also tried calling Dining Reservations and they said they had no idea since they don't book the balcony seating.

Is it actually true that Disney can't supply some sort of sugar free option? If so, I am really surprised, because Disney is usually excellent about dealing with guests' dietary restrictions. It seems ridiculous that my friend will be paying $59 to watch everyone else eat dessert!

Anyone here have any experience with this?

Mary
MouseSavers.comI would hope something like this would be possible. I'm trying to think of who to call. One issue is the department that handles teh Fantasmic! special seatings I don't htink there is anyone there til late afternoon. I think I have a number I will PM you with that you may be able to get some answers or least find out. Let us know what you find out.

Koala Gurl
01-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Yes, please let us know what happens! I would love to know if there is a sugar-free option!

FoodLover
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Update: I spoke with someone in Vacation Planning and he confirmed that the Fantasmic Balcony dessert buffet is a "set menu" and they won't accommodate special requests or dietary restrictions AT ALL. Very disappointing.

The desserts do include fresh fruit skewers, which my friend can eat, so at least he'll be able to have something. But I think this is a very poor policy on Disneyland's part, when they are charging such a premium price for the balcony experience.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Bytebear
01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
He could always take a quick dose of insulin before the meal. :)

(And just so you know, I am also diabetic, so I feel his pain)

Goosegirl
01-17-2007, 11:20 AM
My daughter is a type 1 diabetic and we do not allow her any artificial sweeteners. She just gives insulin for the amount of carbs she eats, and then exercises more. In Disneyland you walk so much, she never goes high. However she does have a tendency towards lows there.

But if your friend is a type 2 diabetic, I am not sure how they would handle the sugar desserts. I am guessing though, that the increased walking in DLR would still keep the glucose levels in check.

Malcon10t
01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
A very good friend of ours is also a type one, and he does like Goosegirl recommends. I always thought a diabetic had to be "sugar free" but with Type 1s, they can have sugar, they just need to watch it and counter it closely. I don't know how type 2s would do it.

Bytebear
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
As a type 2, I would probably indulge and walk it off. Natural sugars are better for me and some carbs hit worse than others, and always worse than sugars in general. When I go to the park I tend not to even watch my intake because I know the walk will burn it off. Just do a lap around the park after the show and you will be fine.

disneyhound
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
You could always get him something that he could eat while up on the Balcony and bring it along. Lets face it, the desserts are nice, but you are paying for the view and the private setting! They might have $50.00, if that, in the cost of the dessert; they collect over $1,200 from the booking! :rolleyes:

Susan L
01-17-2007, 06:22 PM
I also am a diabetic 2, walking is the best for indulgence. They do offer fruit and cheeses at the buffet. The watermelon we had on our last trip was sweeter than any of the sugar desserts.