PDA

View Full Version : Disney Rewards Visa Card

Pages : [1] 2

disneygeek87
01-15-2007, 01:01 AM
I am interested in applying for a Disney Rewards Visa Card, but I was just curious about a few things. First, how many points do you need to earn before you can start redeeming them for theme park tickets or hotel stays. I know you earn 1 point every $100 you spend, but how many points does it take for a hotel stay or theme park tickets. Is there a website I can vist to view a rewards schedule or does anybody have the details???

Thanks!!

ThreePts
01-15-2007, 05:52 AM
I have a Disney Reward card and used it on Friday to help pay my entrance fees. The card gives you 1 point per $100 you spend. You need to have gained atleast 20 points to get your actual rewards card. Each point is worth $1 so in my case, I had 29 points which I used towards my entrance which nearly paid half of one of my tickets.

In the past, using the card at some restaurants within the park would give you a 10% discount. At this time, that is not available as their promotions continue to change.

disneyhound
01-15-2007, 07:19 AM
I used my rewards card to purchase tour tickets, and they gave me a discount!

Mermaid
01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
In the past, using the card at some restaurants within the park would give you a 10% discount. At this time, that is not available as their promotions continue to change.

I think there are still restuarant discounts. They have not updated their website but there are some promotions. I got 20% off a tour that I booked a few weeks back for WDW. As far as the points go, it is 1 pt= $1. There is no set amount like 100 pts for a night's hotel. Sometimes you can get extra points on certain expenditures. As far as I understand, the reward rate is not great but I like to use it as souveneir money!

serendipityaey
01-15-2007, 11:38 AM
However... Chase has just changed their policy and there is no longer any grace period (at all!) for paying off your charges. In other words they start charging you interest the second you swipe that card.

Someone happened to mention it on another board, so I double and triple checked my statements, and sure enough, vague as could possibly be explained, that is what they are doing now. Frankly, I'm a little shocked. I've never heard of such a thing, I hope it's not the start of a new trend. If anyone knows more about this, please comment! I'm so sad to loose my beloved Disney Card :)

I'll probably only use it for big trips or purchases that I can pay off right away, to get the points. I know I've seen a no interest for however many months deal on Disney vacations, too.

my2princesses
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
We also have the Disney Visa card. We don't charge much on credit cards so the points don't really add up well for us, but they do occasionally offer special rooms rates for Disney Visa holders at DLH, GCH and PP. Last year they had a promotion where we got two free stroller rentals each day. I don't know if they still do this, but it saved us some money:) There is also the free 5x7 picture with a character at the GCH in the mornings. We didn't use this option because we were always in DL in the mornings, but I would have liked to. We also got 0% interest for the first year with our card and then 8.99% after that.
Hope this helps:)
Michelle

GusMan
01-15-2007, 01:08 PM
However... Chase has just changed their policy and there is no longer any grace period (at all!) for paying off your charges. In other words they start charging you interest the second you swipe that card.

Respectfully, that may not be 100% accurate...
If you pay off your balance every month, you do not get charged interest.
If you carry a balance, then interest accrues based on the average daily balance until that whole balance is paid off. (Then you still have to pay some interest that accrues until the payment posts.)
You are given a minimum 20 day grace period on new purchases.

The above is from my statement which I opened today. (Paraphrased)

The key thing here - pay it off every month and reap whatever rewards cash you get.

I have had the card for a few years now and I have never paid a dime in interest. If for some reason what you say is true, (or becomes true) then that card goes out the window.

The 1% does not seem like much but it adds up quickly for us since we use it for everything. (Pretty much a cashless household...) It's our play money at the parks.

At the same time, I love the card. Perks at the parks are ok and can save some cash. I saved some good cash doing my Christmas shopping at DTD (@WDW) just by using the card.

kisroo
01-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I pay off my balance every month and do not pay interest.

~kisroo:)

shawnarae
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I got a free stroller rental with mine. And saved a % at Goofy's Kitchen (10%???). I redeemed some points and used my rewards gift card at WDW last Nov! $120 ;)

serendipityaey
01-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Respectfully, that may not be 100% accurate...
If you pay off your balance every month, you do not get charged interest.
If you carry a balance, then interest accrues based on the average daily balance until that whole balance is paid off. (Then you still have to pay some interest that accrues until the payment posts.)
You are given a minimum 20 day grace period on new purchases.

This is copy and pasted from my online statement from November in a separate section titled "Important - Change in Terms"

"This Change in Terms notice contains the details of upcoming changes to
your Cardmember Agreement (“agreement”). These changes will be
effective the first day of your billing cycle that includes January 1, 2007.
They will apply to current and future balances on your account.
Please read this notice carefully. If you have questions about it, please
contact us at the number on the back of your card.
Summary of Changes:
• In calculating finance charges, the date when transactions are added to
your daily balances and begin to accrue periodic finance charges will
be as early as the transaction date"

"GRACE PERIOD. The "Grace Period" or "Grace Period and Accrual of
Finance Charges” section of your Agreement is amended to replace the
sentence that describes when periodic finance charges begin to accrue
on transactions, fees and other finances charges. The revised sentence
is as follows:
We accrue periodic finance charges on a transaction, fee, or finance
charge from the date it is added to your daily balance until payment in
full is received on your account."

I received the same thing for my other account with Chase. Don't you love how "agreement" is actually put in quotation marks :)

Now, if you tell me I'm reading this wrong, I will be the first to shout for joy, but I won't hold my breath.

DizneyMommy
01-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Ok, I have this card, too, and I think that the "date it (transaction) is added to your daily balance" does not occur until the end of the billing cylce it was charged in. So if I charge something today, it does not get added into my daily balance until the end of the billing cycle, which is when the Average Daily Balance gets calculated.

And I could be totally wrong about that and living in oblivion, if that is the case someone please tell me.

biolabetty
01-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I've had the card for about 3 years and it took me that long to finally accrue 250 points, which paid for a part of my GCH room. I've decided to stop using that card and go with a different rewards card that offers me 1 point per dollar instead of per 100 dollars. I save for my Disney trips in a different way now.

serendipityaey
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Ok, I have this card, too, and I think that the "date it (transaction) is added to your daily balance" does not occur until the end of the billing cylce it was charged in. So if I charge something today, it does not get added into my daily balance until the end of the billing cycle, which is when the Average Daily Balance gets calculated.

And I could be totally wrong about that and living in oblivion, if that is the case someone please tell me.

If this is the case, it sounds the same as it's always been, so what changed? Something had to be different then before for the notice...

(Yay for editing) Okay, checking old statements... interest always begins to accrue at the transaction date, but (second sentence) they won't charge you if you pay in full within the billing cycle. The sentence they say is the new sentence, though... is exactly the same as the old sentence! :( I'm really confused, but it appears I was mis-informed... something HAS changed, though, I just don't know what... :(

Tinkerbell 62
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I opened up a card and was told that I will be getting a $50 gift card after my first purchase! Going to use it towards dinner at one of the restaurants when we are in Disneyland this spring.

I am also going to use it for 10% off of the qualifying restaurants and anything else we purchase that qualifies and then pay it off at the end of the month.

I'm not going to use it all the time. The card we use is American Airlines. We work towards air miles which is how we are getting out there this spring!

Does anyone know if you can use the card to purchase hopper passes?

GusMan
01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Now, if you tell me I'm reading this wrong, I will be the first to shout for joy, but I won't hold my breath.
I dont think you are reading it wrong but it is confusing as heckfire, thats for sure.

I think that it is saying that unless you do pay your balance every month (ie:grace period) you will pay daily interest on that purchase(s) until those purchases are paid in full.

This is different than some cards in the way past where you could pay the whole balance off "to avoid additional finance charges" as the bill stated. Nowadays, if you carried a balance and then paid it off, you will still accrue interest from the day that next billing cycle started till when the payment posted. I found this out one time on a Discover Card bill. Now it is pretty much standard.

Confusing? Sure it is. And you know what? It is probably on purpose to suck more $$ from customers and keep them from getting out of the credit trap.

But to be sure... I will be watching my next billing cycle very very closely. :)

serendipityaey
01-15-2007, 07:15 PM
I think that it is saying that unless you do pay your balance every month (ie:grace period) you will pay daily interest on that purchase(s) until those purchases are paid in full.

I think so, too. This is what happens when I try to read my statement.

Phew! :D Long live Disney occupying every aspect of my life.

SpamPutney
01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
For the past month or so, I've noticed that when I click on "Disney Offers" when accessing my Disney Chase Visa, it comes up with "No offers to display at this time". Is this an error with the server, or are there really no special offers right now? I only ask because inthe past, there have always been multiple offers listed; merchandise, shows, trips, etc.

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 12:33 PM
For the past month or so, I've noticed that when I click on "Disney Offers" when accessing my Disney Chase Visa, it comes up with "No offers to display at this time". Is this an error with the server, or are there really no special offers right now? I only ask because inthe past, there have always been multiple offers listed; merchandise, shows, trips, etc.

I was wondering the samething. Can you still get the free stroller rental or did they do away with that?

Michelle

DangerMouse
01-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I just got a free stroller last week, so it's still a good offer. Make sure your bring a picture id with your DV card though, they will insist on seeing it.

my2princesses
01-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks DangerMouse:)

IdahoMike
01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Definitely take advantage of the free stroller rental, as well as the character photo-op at Ariel's grotto. You get a coupon for a free 5x7 for every Visa card you have. The wife and I each have one, so we got 2 freebie photos each time we went, and we did it 3 different times. You usually get either Chip & Dale, or Mickey & Goofy, and you get a ton of 1 on 1 time with them, because not many people know about, or utilize this awesome opportunity.

Disneyfalcon
01-19-2007, 06:52 AM
I've been wondering about the new offers section myself!! I was just making sure the 6 months free financing for Disney vacations is still available, and that section hasn't been working for a couple of weeks! When I called internet support yesterday, he couldn't figure out what I was talking about.:confused:

ghoofie
01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I am interested in applying for a Disney Rewards Visa Card, but I was just curious about a few things. First, how many points do you need to earn before you can start redeeming them for theme park tickets or hotel stays. I know you earn 1 point every $100 you spend, but how many points does it take for a hotel stay or theme park tickets. Is there a website I can vist to view a rewards schedule or does anybody have the details???

Thanks!!

You don't earn 'points'. You earn dollar values. When you make a 'withdrawl'
you do so by adding dollars to your rewards card. Then you spend them at the park or other disney places. So there are no points for a hotel stay for example. You book the room and if you have a current rewards card, you can apply those dollars to the room charge. Or you can go by a theme park ticket and hand them the card for however many $ you have currently on it.
You just have to be sure that you have a current REWARDS CARD (NOT THE VISA ITSELF). It takes sometimes a couple of weeks to receive the card.
Once you have the card, you can had dollars to it. When you get a rewards card, it has an expiration date. I think it's about 1 year. So you have to use the points already applied to your card before the card expires. Then you can order a new card which will be good for another year

lurkyloo
01-19-2007, 02:55 PM
serendipityaey -

Gusman did a good job explaining how this change works if you're paying off a balance that had been accruing interest.

The other part (the one with the bullet point) was explained to me by a Chase phone rep - all it means is that they start charging you interest on a purchase (if you carry a balance and don't pay off in full each month) from the second it occurs, not from when the store posts it. So if you buy something on a Friday and the store posts it Monday, interest will accrue starting Friday.

Hope that helps!

Tinkerbell 62
01-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Definitely take advantage of the free stroller rental, as well as the character photo-op at Ariel's grotto. You get a coupon for a free 5x7 for every Visa card you have. The wife and I each have one, so we got 2 freebie photos each time we went, and we did it 3 different times. You usually get either Chip & Dale, or Mickey & Goofy, and you get a ton of 1 on 1 time with them, because not many people know about, or utilize this awesome opportunity.

I haven't used the VISA card yet at Disneyland. What is the character photo-op at Ariel's grotto? Where do you get the coupon for the free 5x7?
Thanks for your help and info! :)