PDA

View Full Version : How far do you travel to get to Disneyland and how often?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LibertyCall
01-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I live near Sacramento, so it's about a six hour drive for us (and the drive down is actually not bad, because we're so excited.). We try to go once a year (for five days) but missed last year. We're going in June this year.

I'm curious to see who travels the farthest and how often they go.:)

TinaMouse
01-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh I envy those Californians (and those Floridians who frequent WDW). I live in the Twin Cities. Everytime my hubby has a business conference in Anaheim, I tag along (sometimes w/kids and sometimes not). I get to go every few years. See my signature below for dates to both parks. Fun thread!

hlbtimes2
01-14-2007, 10:28 AM
We live near Seattle. The last couple years we've went about once a year.
We went in Dec. 03, Oct 05, March 06 as a family. In May of 06 I went with my two good friends, then dh went for work the following week. We are going again in April of this year as a family. We always fly, I have better things to do with my time then spend it driving.

LibertyCall
01-14-2007, 10:35 AM
We live near Seattle. The last couple years we've went about once a year.
We went in Dec. 03, Oct 05, March 06 as a family. In May of 06 I went with my two good friends, then dh went for work the following week. We are going again in April of this year as a family. We always fly, I have better things to do with my time then spend it driving.

For us, I figure flying would be a HUGE PITA, trying to drag carseats, all our crap, stroller, etc. and three kids under six, from home, to airport, from airport to hotel,etc.

And don't get me started on having to sit on an airplane with three young kids on their way to DL.:eek: I'd rather pluck my eyeballs out with a spork.

I did tell dh that I would do it if he would sit with the kids by himself and I could sit somewhere else, occassionally looking back with disgust and making comments to my neighbor about those noisy children in the back. LOL

The drive home is pretty depressing though, go figure.

rentayenta
01-14-2007, 10:59 AM
We live in Utah, orgiannly from Cypress, Ca. which is about 10 minutes from Disneyland. :crying: We go once a year during the holidays and try to squeeze in another trip if at all possible.

It's about a 12 hour drive one way. On the way to DL, we stay the night in Vegas and on the way home, we drive straight through. It's me, DH, DD (9), DD (8), and DS (5). I hate hate hate to fly so driving works best for us. My kids are seasoned travelers so they do really well either way.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-14-2007, 11:11 AM
From Seattle...2.5 hour plane ride and I'm there!! We go 2-3 times a year.

nvmom
01-14-2007, 11:13 AM
We live in northern Nevada. It seems we're becoming annual visitors to DLR. We've been March 05, March 06 and now Feb 07. Neither my dh nor I ever went to DLR as children. Our first ever trip was in March 05 and we fell in love, as did our children. :)

We fly because we choose to go during our school year so we minimize the days of school our children miss. We're lucky that the Aloha airlines flight out of Reno leaves at 6:50 a.m., straigh thru to SNA, land at 8:15 a.m. and we're usually in the park about the time it opens. Going home we leave at 9:45 at night and get into Reno at 11:00 p.m. We do not waste any of our day w/travel.

If we drove it's about 11-12 hrs. Flying isn't easy as it seems as we do live 2.5 hrs from Reno so it's a drive just to get to the airport. Also, driving in southern CA isn't appealing to us in the least so part of the vacation for us is flying, using our fav shuttle and not dealing w/traffic.

We might drive someday should we ever decide to go in the summer and do some of the other S. CA attractions.

nvmom

californiagirlx7
01-14-2007, 11:53 AM
We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and its about a 6 1/2 hour drive or a 90 minute plane ride. When I was younger, we didn't have a lot of money so we used to go once every three years or so, but now we go about once a year (but I have gone twice in one year on two occasions).

Andrew
01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
Palo Alto, CA (between San Francisco and San Jose). Takes between five and six hours if we leave at a good time and traffic isn't too bad. We go about six times a year and maintain premium APs.

MammaSilva
01-14-2007, 12:05 PM
A bit more North/East than Andrew, it's 8 hours for me (but I do travel with Missy) and we go 4/6 times a year depending ....Premium AP's here as well.

AngelBear
01-14-2007, 12:12 PM
We live near Vancouver in B.C. Canada and have annual passes. :D
To be honest, we got the APs because our last trip was more than 10 days, and we wanted to be able to visit Disneyland everyday if we wanted to (and we did, even if it was just the evening) so it was worth it.
But we do plan on using them a couple more times. Hopefully in the spring, and then our annual trip in the summer. We try to go every year.
Oh yeah, and we drive down every time.
Yes, we're crazy.:p

DangerMouse
01-14-2007, 12:12 PM
From Phoenix, AZ (6 hour drive). I went 5 times during the 50th when I was an AP. Now, no AP and we will be lucky if we go once a year. Dh got a little burned out and even the kids are saying they want to try other things. What other things? I've got my work cut out for me. ;) :D

kohl
01-14-2007, 12:22 PM
We live in Redwood City, CA which is right by Palo Alto, CA.
It also takes us between 5 - 6 hours to drive. We go at least 3 times a year. I have the PAP to get the extra discounts, hubby and the 2 kids have the DAP.

I heart Disney
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I live in SLC, Utah. We have gone to DLR once a year since 2003. We are trying to work in a trip this coming weekend and are debating AP's This will be our first road trip to DLR. Wish us luck. We have 2 young boys, 2 and 6.

Rkkm
01-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Interesting to note that the answers were all in hours and minutes instead of miles. My answer would have been 25 minutes, depending upon traffic and the ability to use the HOV lane. I would never think to answer in miles.

Question ... is this "hours" not "miles" distance thing just on the West Coast and in big cities? Or is that the common way most people in America answer the question "how far..."?

MammaSilva
01-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Well I can't speak for all of America but for MOST of Californias more populated areas, we rarely think in terms of miles but in the three most dreaded words of our driver/distance vocabulary....Depending on Traffic...and in that result in drive times. For example, I live 45 miles approx from 2 major airports...same distance should be same drive time right? No....I can get to one of the airports in roughly an hour 'depending on traffic' the other is never less than 90 minutes because of the same "depending on traffic" so while 45 miles seems like a standard that would be fine in rural areas, not so much in the city/heavy traffic zones.

MouseWife
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
We live 103 miles from Disneyland. We had to learn this to answer the kids {okay, and me} 'How much farther?' Actual time depends upon the traffic.

I didn't visit Disneyland until we moved here when I was 4. Then we would go at least once a year.

My husband and I went twice before the kids and then we waited until they were 2 & 4. That first trip broke the cycle of not going and there were years we went 7 times, without AP's. We all now have AP's and every non black out date makes us check if we can make it up. We try to go once a month, if possible. If not, at least everyones birthdays {there are 6 of us}.

When we go on trips I always carry both of our sets of passes {Knotts/Disney} so we can stop and run around for a bit if we like.

rentayenta
01-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Question ... is this "hours" not "miles" distance thing just on the West Coast and in big cities? Or is that the common way most people in America answer the question "how far..."?

Not sure but 25 miles can mean very different things depending on the time of day. Traveling 25 miles into SLC on a Sunday will take me 20 minutes. Trying the same thing on a Monday morning will take me 60 minutes so really, miles mean nothing.

Malcon10t
01-14-2007, 01:06 PM
We are about a 5-6 hour drive north of Disneyland, depending on how long we stop in Bakersfield to refill cars/humans. We are PAPs and we are down for Christmas/NYE for 10 days generally, then a week in the summer, and a visit in the spring usually (3-5 days generally.)

MouseWife
01-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Well I can't speak for all of America but for MOST of Californias more populated areas, we rarely think in terms of miles but in the three most dreaded words of our driver/distance vocabulary....Depending on Traffic...and in that result in drive times.

LOL You were posting this while I was posting {and watching the game}.

One time it took us almost 4 hours to get home from Knott's....another time an hour and 45 minutes.

I miss the days when you could gauge traffic by the time of day. No more.

DalOwnerx3
01-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey Liberty - looks like we are neighbors. We live in Folsom, about 20 miles east of Sacramento.
For us, door-to-door is 425 miles. It's about 7 hours with a stop midway through. We can make good time down highway 5 but slow down once we get into the LA area.

We have a 7-year old daughter and it was our second time in two years. We are considering going every year while she's still young and still wants to be with us.

DisneyMa
01-14-2007, 01:45 PM
We're in California as well, living in the Central Valley and we visit the resort four to five times a year. We stay four to six days at a time. We always drive down as it's only a five hour drive from our door to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. PAP's here as well. Next trip only three weeks away! Can't Wait! :)

hawaiimom
01-14-2007, 01:47 PM
We live in Hawaii and just started going. Made a trip in Oct and Dec 06. It's the easiest place for us to go as a family because my son can't handle more than 6 hours on a plane (or we all go nuts) and there is something for everyone to enjoy with San Diego a short drive away. So with school schedules, we plan to be making 3-4 trips annually. Our next will probably be this March because my husband can't make a ski trip we planned and I can easily do DL with my dad and the kids.

CamCay
01-14-2007, 01:57 PM
We live in Oakdale, outside of Modesto, and we have flown the past few trips. Driving is about six hours, and if we go in on a Sunday it's fine. But if our trip starts during the week, we fly. We will drive on our next trip in December. We never talk miles, in most places in California it doesn't matter; traffic is everything! After last trip we decided to wait until after Nemo opens to go back, kids need something new. I could go all the time, I love it. I might plan an adult only trip sooner than Christmas. Haven't been without my kids in a long time!

MouseWife
01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
We have a 7-year old daughter and it was our second time in two years. We are considering going every year while she's still young and still wants to be with us.

Ah, you sound like us. Everyone kept telling us we were lucky our kids would travel with us as teens. What has stopped them from traveling with us~ school and their jobs. They still would like to come with us. That makes us feel good.

I wish you the same.