PDA

View Full Version : Ok, one more hotel question! [HoJo or Camelot?]

LibertyCall
01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
Hojo or Camelot Inn (Park Inn). Somebody mentioned Park Inn and I checked it out and saw that I could save $400 total by getting a suite there instead of two rooms at Hojo's (six nights in June).

And I guess the walk is about five minutes faster. We really Hojo's, so I'm a little worried I won't like the other place, but if most of you think it's pretty good, I'll save my money!

nvmom
01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Never stayed HoJos for the reasoned you mentioned... it was cheaper to do a family suite at Camelot. We stayed at Camelot last March and booked again next month for 4 nights.

We were very pleased w/the room. It was clean and spacious. We have the family suite which included 2 queens in one room, a couple arm chairs, TV, the bathroom (large counter outside of the tiolet/tub room) and closet area. The other room has another queen, a pull out sofa, arm chair, coffee table (seating area) TV, desk and also a small kitchen type sink in a counter w/small refridge & micro. This room also had a kitchen type table w/4 chairs. We were there last year with 2 adults and 4 children. Plenty of room... including room for a stroller and extra car seat to hang out. This year Grandpa & Grandma are coming and we're getting the same room. So 4 adults and 3 children (minus a niece this year.)

There are no grounds at the Camelot and it's an older motel style. Outside doors, cement stairways, older elevators. I was a little nervous until we actually opened the door to the room. :) The pool on the roof is small (shallow) and there is a hot tub. Breakfast room is small. We just took our food up to our room and sat the table. Very basic food like 3 cereals, croissant or muffin, apples and bananas?, coffee & juice. We're not big breakfast people so this got us started just fine.

We've had excellent service from Armando over the phone both years for reservations. The gal at the desk the morning we checked in was not overly friendly but she was fine. Our room was available to us at 9:00 a.m. on a Thurs morning which was very convenient.

I think if you want pretty grounds and a nice pool you'd want the HoJo. Probably a little more "ambiance" over there but we were very happy w/our room at the Camelot.

nvmom

Susan L
01-13-2007, 05:34 PM
We stayed at the HoJo for 3 nights last Feb and were not impressed. We will never stay there again.

ktrm
01-13-2007, 05:59 PM
We stayed at the HoJo for 3 nights last Feb and were not impressed. We will never stay there again.

Do tell. I was thinking about staying there for our next trip. What did you not like?

LibertyCall
01-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I've stayed there twice but the last time was almost two years ago.

Susan L
01-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Lets see, Iwas trying to save money. We usually stay on property. I had heard good reviews about the HoJo so I went with it. When we got there So. CA was going through a mini heat wave. We had no air conditioning, it was miserable. They couldn't move us to a new room because they were going through renovations or at least thats the answer I got. Since there was no air conditioning we would have to open up our balcony door to get some cool air in during the evening but the noise from the I-5 was horrible. Even with the door closed you could still here it. The walk back from the parks after a long day was really hard. After doing that a couple of times we started parking in the DTD parking lot which ended up being 20.00 a day, it was worth it for us, it was in walking distance of the Monorail Station, much closer. They do have a shuttle but, we always seemed to miss it.

I've been pricing out some of the others on Harbor BLVD like the Tropicana etc. The final decision is we will be staying on property, for the entire 8 nights. I have come up with only a $200. savings to stay somewhere else for 3-4 nights. I would much rather save for staying the entire time on property for the conveince then have to stay one place and then move. On of the best things we like about staying on property is how easy it is to go back and forth to your room whenever you want to. I want to stay somewhere that we will be comfortable. We have stayed at all the 3 Disney hotels and PPH is our favorite and the has the best price of the 3.

LibertyCall
01-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Lets see, Iwas trying to save money. We usually stay on property. I had heard good reviews about the HoJo so I went with it. When we got there So. CA was going through a mini heat wave. We had no air conditioning, it was miserable. They couldn't move us to a new room because they were going through renovations or at least thats the answer I got. Since there was no air conditioning we would have to open up our balcony door to get some cool air in during the evening but the noise from the I-5 was horrible. Even with the door closed you could still here it. The walk back from the parks after a long day was really hard. After doing that a couple of times we started parking in the DTD parking lot which ended up being 20.00 a day, it was worth it for us, it was in walking distance of the Monorail Station, much closer. They do have a shuttle but, we always seemed to miss it.

I've been pricing out some of the others on Harbor BLVD like the Tropicana etc. The final decision is we will be staying on property, for the entire 8 nights. I have come up with only a $200. savings to stay somewhere else for 3-4 nights. I would much rather save for staying the entire time on property for the conveince then have to stay one place and then move. On of the best things we like about staying on property is how easy it is to go back and forth to your room whenever you want to. I want to stay somewhere that we will be comfortable. We have stayed at all the 3 Disney hotels and PPH is our favorite and the has the best price of the 3.

Hey, if I had my way, we would always stay on property. As it is, we never have, lol. Can't afford to go as long as we want (six nights) and stay on property. I checked getawaytoday and PP was $800 more (for two rooms).

Malcon10t
01-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey, if I had my way, we would always stay on property. As it is, we never have, lol. Can't afford to go as long as we want (six nights) and stay on property. I checked getawaytoday and PP was $800 more (for two rooms).
For our trip, the cost was double to stay at PPH compared to staying at the Residence Inn. Next trip, we will be at Anaheim Desert Inn. PPH is over $200 for 1 room (and we need 2), and DI is $139 (and no parking fee) for a 2 room, sleeps 10 suite.

Susan L
01-14-2007, 02:17 PM
We still would rather save the extra cash and go for it, thats just us:D

pisces
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I would much rather save for staying the entire time on property for the conveince then have to stay one place and then move.

Me too.

I'm never gonna stay anywhere else but on-property.

The PPH is nice if you can get a view of DCA!

LibertyCall
01-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm with you, if it were possible to save the extra cash, we would stay on property. But unless I want to cut out sports, karate, etc. for my kids, it's not possible. I keep telling my six year old he needs to get a job already but noooooooo, he wants to stay in school, LOL.

I would happily take on a sponsorship, though!

Malcon10t
01-14-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm with you, if it were possible to save the extra cash, we would stay on property. But unless I want to cut out sports, karate, etc. for my kids, it's not possible. I keep telling my six year old he needs to get a job already but noooooooo, he wants to stay in school, LOL.

I would happily take on a sponsorship, though!
For us, we prefer a longer, leisurely stay. It wouldn't have been feasible for us to stay 11 nights at the PPH (would have cost $3800 just for hotel and only a 2 queen room) when we stayed at Residence Inn in a 1 bedroom unit with full kitchen for only $1506. I just couldn't justify it. I have always offered my kids the option of staying there, but we cut back to the number of days to fit the hotel budget, and they prefer the longer stays. So, we would have stayed 5 nights instead of 11. I prefer the 11.

Susan L
01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
I love the longer stay but, if my kids were still little I would consider somewhere else. The kids are 18 and 19 now, working full time so, if they want to go they have to help pay. I remember those days when they were little though and we would still op to stay at the DL hotels but, the stay would be shorter.

Malcon10t
01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I love the longer stay but, if my kids were still little I would consider somewhere else. The kids are 18 and 19 now, working full time so, if they want to go they have to help pay. I remember those days when they were little though and we would still op to stay at the DL hotels but, the stay would be shorter.Mine are 16-21. The older 3 are in college, while teh youngest is in HS. The older 2 help pay for their passes, a meal or two, and my 20yo daughter sprung for the Fantasmic! preferred seating for everyone for NYE. Until about 5 years ago, we always stayed at the Hilton, executive floor, with 2-3 rooms. We preferred it to DLH. Things change though and so did the Hilton, so we moved on. We did stay at DLH until the oldest was maybe 8 or 9, and loved the little things like koi feedings, but when the prices skyrocketed, we just decided it was no longer worth it for us. A couple years ago, when we quit using the Hilton, I asked the kids where they wanted to stay, and it was my younger son who said he wanted to stay whereever we could stay longest and eat more. Since then, we have ruled out a few places. If we came down and they had an AP rate that was great, I would probably consider it. We have preferences (we like Camelot, Residence Inn Maingate, Anaheim Desert Inn, and Anabella) but will still try new places. We do have things we need in a room, and we have to consider the service dog. We really liked the Residence Inn this time. It was so easy with the dog. ANd it was QUIET!