PDA

View Full Version : I really miss the Country Bears.

Pages : [1] 2

LibertyCall
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Disclaimer: I don't visit this site unless I now for sure we're planning a trip. It's actually depressing for me to come here, not knowing how many years away our next trip will be. That said, I have no idea what topics have been done to death, so if this is one of them, sorry in advance.

Anyway, why on Earth would they get rid of that attraction? Please don't tell me Pooh was the reason, and not just an afterthought. Even when I was a big kid, 13 or so, I remember being thrilled when the mounted heads on the wall started talking, or when the girl bear's swing came down from the ceiling.

And why make a movie about it after it's gone??? They could have just made things even better with that show, what with new technology, etc., but instead we get the Pooh ride (as if Pooh needs any help in the exposure dept.)?

I know my kids would have loved the country bears. Life is just not fair.:(

PirateSmile
01-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I miss them, too. I like the Pooh ride, but that area just isn't the same without them it seems like. I still say they should put it over in DCA somewhere.

sixwoofys
01-12-2007, 04:32 AM
why on Earth would they get rid of that attraction?

I dunno. Sad. Do you know if they still have it in WDW?

And why make a movie about it after it's gone???

I can't for the life of me understand that one. Maybe it's the same genius's who changed the music for Space Mountain.

I know my kids would have loved the country bears. Life is just not fair.:
We discuss this all the time at home. My kids LOVE the movie (as do I). Christopher Walken is terrific. And we LOVE Brian Setzer and Jeniffer S. Paige.
They could've simply plussed it with some modern technology. It would've been great. At least their bringing back the Submarine Voyage. I have been in a deep dark depression for approx. 10 years over that one. Maybe they'll do the same for the Bears someday. I dunno.

backsthepack
01-12-2007, 05:24 AM
I miss them too! I wish my son could have seen them. He doesn't have any idea what I am talking about when I bring it up.

momuvseven
01-12-2007, 05:53 AM
You can still see some of the heads mounted in the pooh ride.

I wish they had kept the show too.

Tinkermommy
01-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I agree!

The first few times I took my daughter to Disneyland, the attraction was closed. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't reopen.

When we learned it was closed forever, we both were disappointed. I'd told her so much about what happened inside (there...wuz...bu-loood on the saddle...LOL) that she really wanted to see it.

I realize things have to change, but I wish she could have seen it before it closed.

just beatla33
01-12-2007, 08:09 AM
I know its just a rumor, but DL may bring them back, but stash them over at DCA by Grizzely River

raediance
01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
That was the attraction that is now defunct that I regret not seeing (more). Or I regret my brother not seeing it. I loved that show!!

hbquikcomjamesl
01-12-2007, 10:40 AM
The original CBJ, which can still be seen at WDW, is a timeless classic.

"Vacation Hoedown," which replaced the original at DL many years ago, was dated almost before its debut. WDW had the sense to get rid of it, and go back to the original. DL didn't.

When the building was gutted and turned into Winnie the Pooh, Winnie simply replaced a more malodorous sort of, ahem, "Pooh."

I would be all for bringing the original CBJ to DCA. But not "Vacation Hoedown."

Bytebear
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
I love the idea of bringing them into DCA near Grizzly River Run. Maybe build an outdoor stage in that play area and have a scout camp type theme. They could even interact with live musicians.

I also am very upset that we got the crappy version of pooh!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I was so excited my kids were going to see CBJ at WDW, we went, saw the show and on the way out my adorable daughter asked to please never have to watch that awful thing again.

lilfaeriebrat
01-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I've had to try and expain to my grandma the reasons why CBJ is no longer there many times. We got her a pass in December and have made many trips since we got it. In all those trips she has never expressed any interest in seeing Pooh. I think in her own way she's boycotting the ride. We've never even gone passed the entrance line to Splash Mountain. Both my grandparents loved Big Al the most. I'm sad it's not there anymore. I have so many fond memories of watching the show with my family as I grew up

mckygirl99
01-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I was so excited my kids were going to see CBJ at WDW, we went, saw the show and on the way out my adorable daughter asked to please never have to watch that awful thing again.

I was looking forward for my daughter to see at WDW too but the week we went was the week they close it down for the Christmas overlay. I wonder if she would have had the same reaction??

Andrew
01-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I was looking forward for my daughter to see at WDW too but the week we went was the week they close it down for the Christmas overlay.
There was no Country Bear Christmas Special this year ('06) so I guess this was a few years ago?

I Heart Disneyland!
01-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I miss them too. :crying: Sure it was corny and old fashioned, but, now that it's gone...I miss seeing it when I'm at DL!

TiggerRPh
01-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Anyway, why on Earth would they get rid of that attraction? Please don't tell me Pooh was the reason, and not just an afterthought. Even when I was a big kid, 13 or so, I remember being thrilled when the mounted heads on the wall started talking, or when the girl bear's swing came down from the ceiling.

Apparently the show wasn't very popular in California. Because of it's popularity in Florida, they built two theaters in DL and it never lived up to projections.

cstephens
01-16-2007, 01:48 PM
My husband was thrilled to be able to see the original Country Bears again last week at the Magic Kingdom. I have no memory of having seen that incarnation, so it was interesting to see. I prefer Vacation Hoedown, but that might be because I'm familiar with Vacation Hoedown.

I think the show does well at Magic Kingdom partly because it's got great real estate. It's smack in the middle of everything. People who might not know what it is might still stop by because they are at least made aware of it.

At DL, it was completely in the corner, and most people might not venture that way just because. Lots of people might not even have known it was there. Traffic seemed to be mostly from people who were going there specifically to see the show.

stan4d_steph
01-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't miss them. I didn't go to the Bears in WDW when I was there recently.

Disney Vault
01-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't miss them. I didn't go to the Bears in WDW when I was there recently.
I feel the same way. I don't miss them and I prevented my group at WDW from even checking it out. I also think but get rid of the country bears it makes people appreciate the tiki room more. Which I think is a good thing.

mulansgirl
01-16-2007, 03:20 PM
When I was with my grandma there were two reasons to go to critter country, CBJ and mickey pretzels and if I was a good girl we got cheese for the pretzel. Now I go maybe once every five trips. Check the shop for pins, buy candy to get a VMK card and leave. Critter Country in less than ten minutes. I find no joy in that land anymore. I really do miss it also. maybe they can pull the Bugs life show out of DCA and put this one in. I am sure it would scare a lot less children. That bug show is evil, saw it once, I really disliked the seat moving and shooting you in the back. I'll pass.
I also boycott the pooh ride.

gibson510
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Country Bears!!! Why!?!:crying:

Disney Vault
01-16-2007, 03:25 PM
When I was with my grandma there were two reasons to go to critter country, CBJ and mickey pretzels and if I was a good girl we got cheese for the pretzel. Now I go maybe once every five trips. Check the shop for pins, buy candy to get a VMK card and leave. Critter Country in less than ten minutes. I find no joy in that land anymore. I really do miss it also. maybe they can pull the Bugs life show out of DCA and put this one in. I am sure it would scare a lot less children. That bug show is evil, saw it once, I really disliked the seat moving and shooting you in the back. I'll pass.
I also boycott the pooh ride.
:eek: I love ITTBAB
Best 3D sttraction at any park imo.

DebT
01-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I miss the country bears too cause they remind me of my dad. He was a huge fan. So big that we had (and still have) the record of the entire show. We used to listen to it every Sunday morning while my mom was cooking breakfast (circa 1970s).

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it was a great attraction and am sad my kids never got to see it. What a great idea to bring it back near Grizzly River Run.

Greg in TN
01-24-2007, 08:25 AM
We saw the Bears @ WDW for the first time about 2 yrs ago. I'd read all about how it was corny, and some even said silly, and should be shut down forever, etc. And, yes, it was pretty corny, but maybe that's it's charm. I don't think anybody would go in expecting a sophisticated musical comedy. Anyway, it was FUN (& it was air conditioned).

FYI, they're not real bears (sshhhh! don't tell anybody). They don't care whether you're laughing with them or at them. If the show makes you laugh, why complain. If it doesn't, don't go see it.

For me personally, it's not a MUST SEE attraction, but it was fun enough that I'll prob'ly be back. :D