PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Howland from Missoula, Montana wins a Major "Dream" at the Disneyland Resort

Darkbeer
01-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Joe Howland and his family visited the Disneyland Resort on Thursday, January 11th, 2007 and came up a big winner.

While being at DCA at the right place at the right time this morning, the "Dream Squad" handing out the Year of a Million Dreams Prizes (1.25 million prizes over 15 months) approached him and asked him to step backstage to verify that he was a major winner of the YOAMD contest.

He was eligible, and won a Disney Cruise LineŽ 10-night Mediterranean Cruise for 4, one of the 60 "Grand Prize" winners in the giveaway.

Round-trip, economy class air travel for winner and up to three (3) guests to the originating European port of call, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Prize includes: stateroom selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion, regularly scheduled meals on board the ship, and special VIP treatment which includes a bridge tour with the captain, sounding the ship's horn for the winner only, VIP chef's table dining experience at Palo, and port charges. This prize also includes US$3,900 to be used toward the payment of taxes. Sponsor makes no representation or warranty that the cash portion of this prize will be sufficient to pay winner's tax liability. Cruise must be taken between June 6, 2007 and August 19, 2007. Specific travel dates to be determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. Disney Cruise Line restrictions and conditions apply, which may be found at www.disneycruise.com (http://www.disneycruise.com/). ARV of each prize: US$16,900.

mi_mous
01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Wowza!!

LibertyCall
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
A major award!

Opus1guy
01-12-2007, 01:28 AM
A major award!

:)

Kentenathien
01-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Hmm, Fra-gee-lay... Must be Italian!

nvmom
01-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Very cool! And hey, I'm from Missoula MT orignally! :)

nvmom

Mommy2NicknMax
01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
That is awesome! Congrats to them!!! :)

tonytone
01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow...congrats to him and his family!

One question I've always wanted to ask--for those prizes that allow accomodations of up to X number of people, and your group is greater than X (e.g., one more than allowed)...does the sponsor try to accomodate the extra person, even when you're willing to pay any and all extra costs? Example--vacation prize is for up to four people, your family consists of five members; will the sponsor try to tailor the prize so that no one is left out, even if you have to pay extra for it...or will they say, "sorry we can't change the prize parameters no matter what"?

crrees
01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
i dont think they will make the changes, i would expect you would have to pay for the extra person

acpalmer
01-12-2007, 12:39 PM
i dont think they will make the changes, i would expect you would have to pay for the extra person

I think the fictional family in Tonytone's post is planning to pay for the extra person, he is just wondering if the prize givers (i.e. the Cruise Line) would ALLOW an extra person with the prize-winning group of four or if they would say "We don't care how much you are willing to pay, this package goes to a group of four and group of four only because we aren't able to put you in a bigger cabin that will accomodate five even if you do pay for the upgrade." At least that's how I interpreted the question...

Bolivar
01-12-2007, 02:11 PM
My guess is that they would treat the package the same as if the customer had paid for it. If for a paid trip for four they allow you to upgrade to five, then I'm sure they would accomodate that.

Why wouldn't they? It is in their best interest to have the winner walk away saying that it was the best experience ever.

That is all just my guess though.

tonytone
01-12-2007, 02:19 PM
I think the fictional family in Tonytone's post is planning to pay for the extra person, he is just wondering if the prize givers (i.e. the Cruise Line) would ALLOW an extra person with the prize-winning group of four or if they would say "We don't care how much you are willing to pay, this package goes to a group of four and group of four only because we aren't able to put you in a bigger cabin that will accomodate five even if you do pay for the upgrade." At least that's how I interpreted the question...
Thank you! That is exactly the example of a scenario I was trying to describe...

hdlzx2
01-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Okay, I can answer this. I won a disney trip for 2, wanted to take my kids. the room is covered...2 queens...I live in Utah, didn't want the air so they comped me a van rental.(cheaper anyway)...just had to pay for admissions!
It all depends on the company you win from and how they will work for you.

disneyhound
01-12-2007, 03:39 PM
We wants the redhead...

I Heart Disneyland!
01-12-2007, 04:49 PM
A major award!

Hahahahhaha! At least it's not the leg lamp! ;)

RStar
01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, if you don't win the leg lamp you could buy it here:

Red Rider Leg Lamps (http://www.redriderleglamps.com/?gclid=CJGY6Z3h3IkCFSivYAodVV5cFQ)

Of course Rite Aid had a cheeper version for $20 ;)

So if the prize was worth $19,000 do they need to pony up the $5,000 prize winnings tax bill now, or later? :eek: Or is it paid by Disney?

I Heart Disneyland!
01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, if you don't win the leg lamp you could buy it here:

Red Rider Leg Lamps (http://www.redriderleglamps.com/?gclid=CJGY6Z3h3IkCFSivYAodVV5cFQ)
?

Sorry for the derail, but, I am SO getting one of those ornaments!!! Too funny! I found a bunch on Ebay...

Back to Joseph Howland from Missoula, MT....

hlbtimes2
01-12-2007, 10:00 PM
So if the prize was worth $19,000 do they need to pony up the $5,000 prize winnings tax bill now, or later? :eek: Or is it paid by Disney?

The total prize is worth apprx $16,900. $3,900 of that is cash for the winner to use toward income taxes. They (the winner) doesn't pay the tax now, they pay it to the IRS when they file their 2007 taxes next year. Disney is giving all the big winners some money ($3900 in this case) to help cover the income tax.

rentayenta
01-13-2007, 06:04 AM
Wow, what a cool prize! Lucky guy!

Vault Disney
01-13-2007, 07:09 AM
:eek:

The problem with exceeding expectations is that everyone looks for their expectations to be exceeded. :fez: