PDA

View Full Version : Combined DL and DCA maps to debut May 31st!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disney Nick
05-29-2002, 10:30 PM
Here is a quote from one of those "other sites" message boards:

Beginning this Friday, the Disneyland Resort will be no longer carrying separate maps for each Theme Park. Instead, there will be a single folded map that will include both Parks. This will go on until another change is needed (and who knows when that will be)...

So what do you guys think? Seems like if they do it correctly it will be nice and easier to read (and it appears that they have done it correctly). Of course Disney's motivation is strictly economical i think. Care to share your thoughts?

[Moderator's note: The rest of the original quoted material has been deleted to protect the copyright of the author. In cases where you wish to share this type of information with MousePad readers:

1. Provide correct attribution. Who wrote it? What is the "other site"? You can mention the site by name for attribution purposes.

2. Provide a URL to the article directly in your post if you wish to have MousePad folks read the article in its entirety.

3. Include a short quote (which I would define as one or two sentences), and provide more information using your own words, whether the information be your own opinion or analysis.

Thank you. -- Lani]

anjelah
05-29-2002, 10:57 PM
I think it sounds great. I like to park hop and this will make it easier to know what is going on in both parks. I think it will make it easier to manage time between parks as well. I like the idea of listing all the restaurants together. It will be interesting to see.

Darkbeer
05-29-2002, 11:10 PM
I liked what somebody said in response to that post...

Another way to advertise DCA to the folks visiting Disneyland:eek:

Disney Nick
05-29-2002, 11:19 PM
That is a good point. Sure that was one of the considerations ;)

MonorailMan
05-30-2002, 03:53 AM
So Keep Your 1 Park Maps, they may be worth something someday! :)

DisneylandKid
05-30-2002, 05:22 AM
I'm glad they are doing this. For one, I always thought that the drawing of the Disneyland on the map was a bit weak (DCA's is good). Also, I think that a great big map is simply a good thing! :)

merlinjones
05-30-2002, 05:56 AM
DCA,the parasitic golddigging *****, makes another move on Disneyland, since she can't survive on her own.

[Moderator's note: Word removed for inappropriateness. merlinjones, MousePad is a family-friendly community. Please watch your vocabulary. -- Lani]

WDWalways
05-30-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
DCA,the parasitic golddigging *****, makes another move on Disneyland, since she can't survive on her own.

You are not well.

merlinjones
05-30-2002, 06:55 AM
Seems like one step closer to a two-fer-one park scenario (if DCA can't pull em in this summer sans discounts).

cstephens
05-30-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones

So this is the kind of language that's allowed on here? I've deleted the word in my quote but that seems totally inappropriate for a forum with kids on it.

Seems a shame that some people have lost all sense of perspective. You'd think lives were at stake.

merlinjones
05-30-2002, 07:51 AM
>>Seems a shame that some people have lost all sense of perspective. You'd think lives were at stake.>>

In away, yes. Check the news. Many lives of vital and creative, hard working people have been totally disrupted in both Imagineering and Feature Animation by the callous bottom line policies of current WDC management. Walt's historic Disneyland is crumbling before our eyes, a 70 year tradition of hand drawn animation is being dismantled as we speak. If now isn't the time for lively rhetoric, when is?

ChipmunkStar
05-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Merlinjones, I suggest shooshing until you see Lilo and Stitch. From what all the reviews I've read say, the backgrounds are watercolor to emphasize light (except for the space joyride shots, there's probably a little bit of CGI in those), and the charactes are once again hand drawn. Pop a Mydol and chill out, dude.

innerSpaceman
05-30-2002, 09:58 AM
Ok, well . . . um, back to maps for a second here. Not having seen the thing, I can't really can't prejudge it (but since when has that stopped me?)

I get the impression that the map will be too clunky. Of course, I'm not really sure if we're talking about the small maps in the guidebooks or the big, wall-size, fold out maps. If it's the former, I would think it would be best to put the maps on different pages, or back to back, as you can't possibly be in DCA and Disneyland at the same time and it seems a combined map is a recipe for confusion on the part of guests unfamiliar enough with the parks to require use of a map.

If it's the latter, then I think it's truly a shame that the 46 year tradition of Disneyland wall maps is coming to an end. Such maps of Disneyland have usually been beautiful pieces of art depicting a magical realm. Maps of the Disneyland Resort, on the other hand, will most likely be layouts of a business development, including such non-magical areas as the Downtown Disney shopping mall, the expensive hotels, and the Six-Flags-inspired amusement park, California Adventure.

If anything, I think a note should be taken from Walt Disney World, where maps of the entire complex and maps of individual parks are each available.

A map of the Disneyland Resort cannot have the same artful and enchanting quality as a map of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom.

RStar
05-30-2002, 10:52 AM
I think this idea IS an economical move. I also feel it will be a convenant idea for pass holders and park hoppers, but see no reason other than advertising for the day visitors (and I wonder what the percentage of one day visits to multi-park hoppers are?)

And merlinjones, while I appreciate your opinions and don't wish to offend you, I feel I must tell you that anyone who has spent at least one day on this board is well aware of your feelings on DCA and on the current condition of DL as well as the state of the Disney Co. as a whole. I may be asking a lot, or sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but could you please tone it down a bit when you make your points? Simply leaving off some off the colorfull discriptions may help. I get the idea that you stir up alot of anger (I understand that you are angry and I don't blame you), and quite simply this does not help. There are people here that agree with you (and keep in mind that some are allowed NOT TO ), but you manage to pit them all against you with the bad attitude. I could be wrong about your attitude (but a least it proves you care, unlike some of the top brass at Disney, aparently), but that is the way you come across. And I have read many of your posts and frankly have begun to pass them over because I don't want to hear it anymore. I get your point. A good healthy argument is why these boards were invented, so I'm just saying I would like to see you participate and make your points, but perhaps in a less hatefull way. I hope I don't come across as ragging on you, but I just wanted to let you know how I see it. OK?

Have a nice day. So that you know, you will not hear me bring this up again.
Thank you,
Bob

P.S. innerspaceman-
If they have them seperated, that would help. But then it would be a move in the opposit direction economicaly, so what would the purpose be having 3 maps insted of two. With WDW putting all the parks on one map is understandable for planning, but two (three if you count DTD) sites are manageable.

ChipmunkStar
05-30-2002, 01:15 PM
innerSpaceman,

These are for the "souvenir"/recieve the maps as you enter the park(s) maps. They are bigger than the current maps, But they do look nice (I saw a few guests trial-running the a few weeks ago).

They will not be the wall maps that are sold inside the parks, o no worries :)

merlinjones
05-30-2002, 01:34 PM
>>I may be asking a lot, or sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong, but could you please tone it down a bit when you make your points? Simply leaving off some off the colorfull discriptions may help. I get the idea that you stir up alot of anger (I understand that you are angry and I don't blame you), and quite simply this does not help. <<

But what will?

Sorry. I appreciate your remarks. I'll tone down the overstated, colorful rhetoric (it's fun for me but not for everyone), but not the message. It truly IS important to keep repeating (ad nauseum), as the past has proven that Imagineering, Feature Animation and Disneyland employees were far too optimistic and passive and easily placated (or fearful) when it was still possible to slow the decline of quality (and deplorable treatment of staff) at the company. Squeeky wheels are needed to get grease, one reason I commend this site for its public consumer report work. Stirring up anger through rehetoric is often a good method to get attention or focus on the problems at hand, but you are correct in that it possibly turns as many off as on.

In any event, what's left of Walt's Disneyland needs to be protected by everyone who cares - - because those who run the company do not. Once its gone - - its gone.

But it likely its just too late anyway... so I'll cry (Monkey's) Uncle and just shut up for awhile.

Mouse
05-30-2002, 02:14 PM
You know how some guests aren't at mentally endowed as others? (as proven by this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1249&perpage=25&highlight=stupid%20guests&pagenumber=1) ) Well what about the guest who is wandering around DL desperately looking for California Screaming? How are these guests supposed to keep things in each park straight if they can even figure out when the 9 o'clock parade is?

Oh, and what about character greetings? DCA and Disneyland maps both have some of the same characters advertised. Will they list one character in two locations or will they only advertise a character in one location? I wonder how they will solve this problem without DCA guests complaining that they can't see Mickey because he is only in Disneyland which they don't have a ticket for.

RStar
05-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Mouse-

Good points. The saying "guests leave thir brains outside the gate when they walk in" comes to mind. People are there to forget things. Now they have to figure out a map that also includes a place they are not. The only way I see this really working is if they have a "master" map for the whole Disneyland Resort, then give the same maps out at the two parks as before.

And how can they have greet-n-meet for Mickey in two places at once? There is only ONE Mickey!:eek:

Merlinjones-

I don't want to take this thread someplace it isn't meant to go, but I want to clarify a couple of points I made.

You asked "what will help?" As you pointed out, the squeeky wheel gets heard. But the wheel that is so bad off gets replaced, not greased. Make a nusance of yourself and get ignored. But make very strong points, with good inteligent arguments (you sound very inteligent to me) without offending someone and you're more likely to get somewhere. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I was just wondering if you realized how much you can offend people.

You also said you would "cry (monkey's) uncle and shut up". I had to laugh. Good joke, considering your handle. Anyway, as I said in my first post, I don't want you to "shut up". I don't think any one wants that. Marty even made that clear. He said everyone is allowed their oppenion. We like to feel we are all a family here. We are on the same side, we want to help save Walt's dream. That's why this site is here. Even Al would agree. The difference in us all is how we do that. You are more vocal about than others. Some, like myself try to be helpfull. And still others try to be more active.

The point is, I do not feel it is too late to make changes. I don't think Disneyland, nor the Disney Co. are done in for. So keep speaking up. But here at MP your preaching to the chior. I doubt that even if anyone from Disney upper management read this site.

Keep up the good work, but play nice.
See you at DL.
Unless I'm at DCA:eek:

ChipmunkStar
05-30-2002, 06:14 PM
The trial maps hadn't placed the parks right next to eachother. There was a wide gap between each park, enough that I think MOST (not all, but a vey good majority) guests should be able to understand it.

As far as Meet and greet locations, parades and shows, I didn't get a chance to look too closely at the maps. Maybe they should only have a) the actual maps, with names of attractions/eateries/other points of interest, b) Park hours. Then, as guests enter the parks, they could have seperate papers which lists the entertainment for each park.

merlinjones
05-30-2002, 06:24 PM
>>I was just wondering if you realized how much you can offend people.<<

Absolutely.

>>I doubt that even if anyone from Disney upper management read this site. <<

In my experience, people are people at any level, and are very curious to see what others are saying about them or their business (even if its just to know what the current spin is to deal with staff or PR). Wouldn't you? In Burbank they all read the most relevant sites everyday (or have the best stuff printed out for them by subordinates), I would suspect the same with this site, especially with the heavy influence Al has had in the press (when asked to respond, they all seem very familiar with the issues at hand, yes?). That doesn't mean anyone takes what is said seriously - - or that it does any good, but execs often read this sort of thing in any field. After all, the internet is often blamed for bad word of mouth, so someone knows what's being said.

>>Anyway, as I said in my first post, I don't want you to "shut up". I don't think any one wants that. Marty even made that clear. He said everyone is allowed their oppenion. <<

Thanks, I will more politely continue to preach to the choir. I appreciate your civil tone and well intentioned advice.

driftwood714
05-30-2002, 09:39 PM
I was the original author of the thread that was pulled from the other website, MouseInfo.com.

Today, I posted an update to a bit of incorrect information. The maps will not be released tomorrow, but later. When? No idea exactly, more than likely within the month of two. For more info, read the original thread that was copied from MouseInfo.

DisneylandKid
05-31-2002, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by driftwood714
I was the original author of the thread that was pulled from the other website, MouseInfo.com.

Today, I posted an update to a bit of incorrect information. The maps will not be released tomorrow, but later. When? No idea exactly, more than likely within the month of two. For more info, read the original thread that was copied from MouseInfo. darn :(

RStar
05-31-2002, 06:14 AM
driftwood-

Thanks, I will do that now.

mirlinjones-

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm curious to know if Eisner has any idea, then, that the cast members change into street cloths and get on rides just as he rounds the corner at DCA to make it look buisier (if that is indeed true)?

At any rate, thats is very interesting to know. I guess it makes sense. I wish I could get on the inside to see what they actually take seriously. I would love to slap someone in the upper ranks and say "WAKE UP, WHAT ARE YOU THINKING!". Wouldn't we all!

We can always dream...........

merlinjones
05-31-2002, 07:06 AM
>>I'm curious to know if Eisner has any idea, then, that the cast members change into street cloths and get on rides just as he rounds the corner at DCA to make it look buisier (if that is indeed true)? <<

My experience with much of Disney management is that, as long as their ego is attended to, reality doesn't matter.

Mouse
05-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by RStar

I'm curious to know if Eisner has any idea, then, that the cast members change into street cloths and get on rides just as he rounds the corner at DCA to make it look buisier (if that is indeed true)?

As a CM I have heard nothing of these goings ons, but then again, I could just be out of the loop...