PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney Restaurants

PJTinkerbell
01-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Hi there everyone!

In three weeks me and three friends (us middle aged women) are going down for one day (with plans elsewhere for a couple more days) to Disneyland. We get there the night before with plans to have a nice dinner (no kids for once). Any suggestions on some place that you would normally not go with your kids? We are all usually with them and want to go someplace to relax, maybe have a drink and a nice meal. It's going to be my 40th birthday trip, so it's also kind of special.

We are staying at the DL Hotel that night too. Never ate at any of their restaurants either. We were thinking DtD might be more fun though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!:)

Donald Duck Fan68
01-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I've heard great reviews on the Napa Rose in the Grand Californian, but if you're wanting something in DTD, you can look at menu's here:

http://dlresortinfo.com/downtowndisneymenus/DTDmenus.html

Me personally, I'd probably choose something with some music, like Jazz Kitchen or House of Blues.

cstephens
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM
First recommendation: Napa Rose in the Grand Californian.

Second recommendation, if you don't want to spend quite that much money: Catal Restaurant in Downtown Disney.

Third recommendation: Granville's Steakhouse (now called Steakhouse 55) in the Disneyland Hotel.

lagunachadling
01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
First recommendation: Napa Rose in the Grand Californian.

Second recommendation, if you don't want to spend quite that much money: Catal Restaurant in Downtown Disney.

Third recommendation: Granville's Steakhouse (now called Steakhouse 55) in the Disneyland Hotel.

Great suggestions!!!!!

backsthepack
01-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Jazz Kitchen gets my vote. I had the best time there. The food is amazing and the place is just so cool!

Darkbeer
01-16-2007, 06:57 AM
Yamibuki's at the Paradise Pier Hotel is good if you like Sushi or Japanese Food.

geoffa
01-16-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm with csstephens.
No 1 Napa Rose
No 2 Catal

Both are superb experiences:

Napa Rose-

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/hotels/dining/detail?name=NapaRoseDiningPage

Totally put your trust in Michael Jordan the wine sommelier here. He is such a great guy and boy! does he know his wines

Catal -
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/moreMagic/downtownDisney/dining/detail?name=CatalRestaurantDiningPage

And if you are celebrating a birthday then call the restaurant beforehand and see if they can arrange a little something as an extra.

PJTinkerbell
01-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the good suggestions! I appreciate your help! We'll see what majority says. We are thinking at this point, some music would be fun to listen to while we eat!

TinaMouse
01-16-2007, 09:38 AM
We ate at the Jazz Kitchen for our anniversary and loved it. Didn't care too much for Tortilla Joe's (I think that's the name).

We also had a lovely drink in the GC lounge.

Bytebear
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
I like Tortilla Joe's. It's basic mexican, similar to the El Torito chain. I also like the Story Teller Cafe. Rainforest is fun once, but not a place I go to regularly. ESPN Zone is another option, but if you aren't a sports fan, or like arcades, it's probably not a good choice.

rentayenta
01-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Catal: garlic fries and wine- delish!

AngelBear
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
We loved Jazz Kitchen. It's nicer than the 'average' restaurant, but not too pricey either. If you're looking to keep it cheaper, you can go for lunch, but there won't be any live music. Music's at night.
I also really liked Tortilla Jo's, but it's not really a 'special occasion' place.
House of Blues can get loud, and oddly enough, they didn't play any blues while we were there, just loud top 40 stuff. Not what we expected at all. Good food though.
I haven't been to the pricier places, so I can't offer opinions on those, but I have heard a ton of good stuff about Napa Rose, and Catal.
Wherever you end up ,have fun!

hefferdude
01-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Napa Rose can be done for less $$ if your group would like to do an assembly of appetizers in the NR lounge.

cstephens
01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Here's a vote against Jazz Kitchen. I've only been there once, but I thought the food and service were wholly unremarkable and not worth the prices charged. For that money, I'd much rather go to Catal. However, a good friend went last year, and he had a good time, and we ordinarily have similar tastes, so YMMV.

MinnieMomma
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
From one middle aged woman to another, my friends and I like to meet at Catal. They have good drinks (if thats on your menu) great food and usually a more "grown up" atmosphere upstairs.
The suggestion of the lounge at Napa Rose is a good one too. We've done that as a small group of friends before and had a lot of fun.
Have Fun!!

I Heart Disneyland!
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
No 2 Catal

Catal -
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/moreMagic/downtownDisney/dining/detail?name=CatalRestaurantDiningPage

And if you are celebrating a birthday then call the restaurant beforehand and see if they can arrange a little something as an extra.

I totally agree with Geoff!! Catal was excellent when we went there in the fall. The menu was great and the service outstanding. We totally enjoyed ourselves and did not feel rushed. It was a leisurely meal with my niece who lives in L.A. I highly recommend it.