PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Lawsuits

MonorailMan
05-29-2002, 07:15 PM
I found this link here, (http://www.courttv.com/casefiles/verdicts/matay.html) that could possibily be the first DL lawsuit.

Mouse
05-29-2002, 08:22 PM
I always find these particular law suites humorous.

Quotes:
“…hours of questioning against their will”
When I was hired and the guest shoplifting procedure was explained to me it was made clear that no one was held against their will, and that there was even a sign that said you can leave at any time. I can’t imagine that the victim of a robbery would be forced to stay when shoplifters could leave if they so desire.

Disney said "that it was not obligated to keep its performers in costume in the backstage area of the park"
I should hope not. Imagine doctors wearing srubs and face masks on their lunch break!

"Disneyland officials also claimed that their Disneyland workers did not undress intentionally before Matay's grandchildren."
Like it was a strip show!

"In fact, Disneyland officials claimed, there was no evidence that showed that the Mickey Mouse, Pluto and Donald Duck performers were aware that the children could see them from the trailer."
Which would make complete sense. Whenever I see a partially costumed character notice that they have come in view of guest (esp. children) backstage they are like in a mad dash to hide.

"One of the daughters reportedly needed three months of therapy to recover from the experience."
Must have been an awful therapist.

"Finally, with regard to negligent infliction of emotional distress, Matay and her family had to show that Disneyland had a duty to make sure its performers remain in full costume in the backstage area. Disney officials denied having that kind of obligation."
See comment above. Hey Marty, you try eating with your mouth concealed!

What a find! Thanks MonorailMan for the laugh!

MonorailMan
05-29-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Mouse
I always find these particular law suites humorous.

Quotes:

Disney said "that it was not obligated to keep its performers in costume in the backstage area of the park"
I should hope not. Imagine doctors wearing srubs and face masks on their lunch break!

And just think how hard it would be to eat lunch in a costume, I had* a hard time using fork and knife in my Mickey gloves, let alone a whole costume.

*I say "had" because, after 1 1/2 hours of practicing, I could use fork and spoon in my Mickey gloves. :D

MonorailMan
05-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Please Ignore, Double Post!

socabch
05-30-2002, 07:03 AM
That's a great article to read. I always wondered what the outcome was. Do you think Matay was disgruntled over something from the Mousekerteer (sp) days? Makes you wonder why people sue over things like this. What a good example to set for her grandkids. "Let's go sue a large corp for millions to make up for the $169.00 we got robbed of". I know that it was very stressful to be robbed, but Disney can't be responsible if they provide reasonable security.

Lawsuits to make a fast buck are a pet peeve of mine.:mad:

The sad thing is large corp alot of times pay people off to make them go away. No matter who's in the right.

RStar
05-30-2002, 12:05 PM
You know, I was only a few years old when I started going to Disneyland, and I don't know that I ever thought the characters in the park were the same ones in the cartoons. Let alone REAL. I have a hard time beliving that a child would be ruined for life mentally over this. Now if they watched their class mates killed on the school ground, or watched their parents die in an auto accident, that is a whole different story. Sure, it may have been disturbing if they were young, but like a child finding out that Santa was hired by that mall, you tell them that was mickeys helper or something and a day later the kid forgets it ever happend. (My brother and I saw Santa go into a trailer and take off his beard when we were about 5/6 years old. Then we new the truth. Are we mental cases?NO...)

Don't we have laws governing frivolus law suits in CA?:mad: