PDA

View Full Version : Must eat?

Pages : [1] 2

horsemom
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
This is for seasoned veterens. What are some of the food places that should not be missed??? I have an 9 and 5 year old. My husband and I are both foodies.

adriennek
01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
My husband and I are both foodies.

Ok, how foodie?

Like when you watch Iron Chef to you say "EEYEW, gross?" Or do you drool?

How's your budget?

I fall into the "Drool" category myself. As such, IMO, you should not miss Napa Rose. They have a kids' menu. I don't normally take my children but that's because I'm local. I've seen children there. If you want the full experience - ie, all the courses from appetizer to dessert, it will be a long meal, so consider how the 5-year-old would handle that. Mine wouldn't. But. I've already told my now-8-year-old that in the near future, we're taking him because I want him to learn how to handle a really good restaurant. :D

Adrienne

ladodgerjon
01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
If you've never dined at the Blue Bayou (at POTC), then I highly recommend a visit-- it's indoors, and provides a fun view of the boats gliding towards their adventure. Make a reservation in advance (Disney Dining: 714-781-DINE).

I think the Bengal Grill is a hidden secret among most visitors (across from the Indy ride). They truly have GREAT kabobs!

Don't laugh, but I think the burgers are very good at the Village Haus in Fantasyland.

We always make the bakery on Main Street our last stop of the day before we go home; great baked goods can always be found here.

Have fun!

frank828
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
corndogs from the red wagon on mainstreet
and hotlink corndogs from the corndog castle in DCA

i usually get a glass of wine and walk to the corndog castle for my battered tasty stick.

btw u can also get them without chips and save almost a buck. Also at DCA u can use ur AP discount but at the red wagon you cannot.

LibertyCall
01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
All "foodies" I know would turn their noses up at just about everything in the park.

I'm sure Napa Rose would pass muster, though.

Myself, I never pass up an opportunity to have a Dole whip. But I also like Kraft mac n' cheese so what do I know?

Gutz
01-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Carnation Cafe on Main Street. I especially love the Loaded Baked Potato Soup and Croissant Chicken Club Sandwich. Your family might also enjoy splitting the huge desserts.

adriennek
01-10-2007, 12:26 PM
All "foodies" I know would turn their noses up at just about everything in the park.

Ahh, not necessarily. Did you watch Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt"? I'll bet Alton would appreciate a Main Street corn dog. ;)

Adrienne

LibertyCall
01-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Ahh, not necessarily. Did you watch Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt"? I'll bet Alton would appreciate a Main Street corn dog. ;)

Adrienne

Well, I don't personally know Alton Brown (love his brined turkey recipe, though!). I love a lot of the food at the park, it's just that the food snobs *I* know are just that, food snobs.:D

hlbtimes2
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
I really think it depends on your mind set while you are in the parks. Good food can be found there. Is it great, as in, if it wasnt in a theme park would you like it enough to go back? That is questionable! The hotels probably offer a better selection of that type food- like Adrienne said, Napa Rose is good. I've also heard good things about Steakhouse 55 (formerly Granvilles). Downtown disney is also probably better for actual dinning then inside the park gates.

For "in the park" food, we usually enjoy our meals at Pizza port. Is it great Italian food? Not really. But the salads are good. They offer some nice fresh flavors. Personally, I enjoy the kids ravioli ordered with the white cream sauce. The corn dogs have already been mentioned- we always get them at some point in the trip! BBQ at the Riverbell and fried chicken at the Plaza are both pretty good. We have never had a bad breakfast at Carnation cafe. Clam chowder in a bread bowl at the Royal street veranda in NOS is very good. As is the corn chowder in a bread bowl at the warf in DCA.

kaybee2
01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I never miss Dole Whips and Bengal BBQ. My kids (7 & 9) love the kabobs from there.

motoxprincess31
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
I had one of the corndogs from the red truck on mainstreet last time it was so good!! Its like the kind you used to be able to find at fairs before they started smaller yucky ones. Are the corndogs at dca at corndog castle the same? And I also second the recomendation for a dole whip!!

nvmom
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Bengal BBQ, corn dogs, choc covered strawberries, churros... My whole family loves theme park type food offerings... we could eat our way thru Disneyland. :lol

Theresa

hlbtimes2
01-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh, if you like peanut butter and chocolate, I have a MUST- a "peanut butter sandwich" from the candy shop. Its graham crackers, sweet peanut butter (like a pb cup) dipped in chocolate. Very yummy! They are huge. Take me about 3 days to eat the whole thing.

katya
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM

I defy any "foodie" to deny the amazing glory that is the Disneyland corn dog. Yes, I adore the Napa Rose and have been there several times (ranging from drinks and appetizers to the whole shebang tasting menu), but, oh, the corn dogs. Is it March yet?

jeffthechef
01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I really like the pizza at Naples in DTD. They have a phenominal crust that is the closest thing to those found on the East Coast. They are expensive, but their pizza is a must everytime for me:)

TTFN92
01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
We really like the food at the place next to Soarin' in DCA. The name escapes me at the moment. We used to really like the Mexican place in DL but not after they changed the menu. If you can afford it, Blue Bayou is great. We usually don't go because it would be too expensive w/ our 4 boys, but we had finally decided to splurge and we couldn't get a reservation, and it was only 11 am. We couldn't go the next trip because it was closed due to the Pirates refurb and then our APs expired :crying: . I always have to have my Mint Julep, technically not food but definitely my favorite :p . I really don't like the burgers at Hungry Bear. They are dry and blah. We also like to get the bread bowls. My kids all like the Clam Chowder, but I like all the choices they have in DCA. Yummy!

hawaiimom
01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Oooooh, where do you get choc covered strawberries at DL? My daughter is an addict.

twist1980
01-10-2007, 07:22 PM
I never miss Dole Whips and Bengal BBQ. My kids (7 & 9) love the kabobs from there.

My two favorite things from DL. I love Safari Skewers (bacon wrapped asparagus) as well as the beef and chicken skewers. And Dole Whips are the greatest food known to man!!! :D

As others have mentioned, I also love the hand-dipped corn dogs on Main Street and churros (especially with the caramel dipping sauce). I'm also a fan of getting frozen lemonade in Frontierland and for some reason I'm addicted to Hungry Bear cheeseburgers!

vfire
01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Bengal BBQ is good food at a good price, the best deal in the park.
I wish the Tahitian Terrace were still around, that would have been fun to try.
The soup in the bread is good but at $9, it's way too expensive. It's a little soup in a bread bowl that would cost 50 cents at the supermarket.
The Mint Julep at NOS is a nice refresher too.

Bytebear
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
The soft serve ice cream up the hill from Screamin' is the best. I love getting a root beer float, or a lemom twist. They have tons of flavors they can twist into the ice cream. They need to add this shop to Disneyland.

Wendi
01-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I have to have breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe (sometimes dinner too!) My favorite resort restaurant is Yamabuki. I hope they still have my "usual". I do enjoy breakfast at the River Belle Terrace too, mostly for the atmosphere in the morning there, but the food's not bad - those mickey mouse pancakes are mighty cute!

nvmom
01-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Oooooh, where do you get choc covered strawberries at DL? My daughter is an addict

I've gotten them at the candy shop on Main St, the candy shop back by the Pooh Ride and in a treat shop in DTD. There might be other places...

nvmom

Wizard69
01-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I've gotten them at the candy shop on Main St, the candy shop back by the Pooh Ride and in a treat shop in DTD. There might be other places...

nvmom

Another place is Marcelines. BUT, they are currently out of season! They should be appearing at the resort real soon (March-April) and usually stop around the June-August timeframe.

As for the current topic... I'M A FOODIE!! There are too many places I like to eat at Disneyland.

I like to eat at Storytellers(the dinner buffet!), Carnation Cafe, Corn Dog Wagon (and Corn Dog Castle), Riverbelle Terrace (breakfast), Plaza Inn (love the Chicken Pesto Alfredo), Ariel's Grotto is pretty good (meatloaf), Taste Pilots (the X5 and the chili burger), Pacific Wharf and Royal Street Veranda(love the soup in a bread bowl), Blue Bayou (Prime Rib for dinner and Monte Cristo for lunch), Cafe Orleans and once in a while Napa Rose.

I also love to go to the bakery and get either a cinnamon roll or Toll House cookie and coffee.

MammaSilva
01-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Actually we got chocolate covered strawberries in December at White water snacks....they are probably my #1 favorite comfort food and while I'm not going to implode or have a meltdown if I don't get one while we're there....it was a nice treat to look down on my tray and see them sitting there....

pisces
01-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Rigatoni at Catal.

The Prime Rib and roasted garlic mashed potatoes at Goofys.

The Corn Chowder at Storytellers.

The Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn.