PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Disney Food???

Chip37
05-29-2002, 03:31 PM
Could anyone suggest what are their favorite places to eat at DD and where you wouldn't eat at? Also what kind of prices? Also whats a not to be missed restaurant? Thanks, Chip&Janet.

heidiwhr
05-29-2002, 03:37 PM
I love the Rainforest Cafe. I have to go there at least once or twice every trip. The food and atmosphere are wonderful, and the prices are fairly reasonable too.

I ate one at the Jazz Kitchen and was not impressed for the price. For just hubby and me the bill came to over $100! I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the RC.

Dave Z
05-29-2002, 03:43 PM
I, too, enjoyed the RF Cafe with my 9 yr old dtr. Good food, good service and 10% off. We'll go back this June for lunch.

DZ

Just accross the bridge at DLH is Hook's Pointe. My wife still talks about our dinner there. She stopped on the way out and thanked the Chef.

DZ

cyberRoo
05-29-2002, 03:47 PM
Just to be contrary, we loved the upstairs restaurant at the Jazz Kitchen. For a nice meal, it wasn't especially expensive, they have great food, and desserts prepared tableside. For a quick(er) meal, the counter-service restaurant also looks good, and has excellent beignets (you'll never want the ones in New Orleans Square again).

We also enjoyed Catal, but haven't been back in close to a year.

Do be aware that several of the restaurants offer different service levels (and price points) within the same facade. Generally, the upstairs dining rooms are a higher service. It can be confusing!

JBKMC
05-29-2002, 04:28 PM
We like to start off with the Rain Forest then mosey over to House of Blues and pick up some tickets for that nights show, if its sold out then we just will take in a movie instead.

cstephens
05-29-2002, 04:56 PM
I have reviews posted for a number of restaurants at Downtown Disney. If you're interested go to http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html/ for more information.

My absolute favorite restaurants in the resort are Catal and Napa Rose.

socabch
05-29-2002, 05:53 PM
Okay, I'm going to be different. I enjoy ESPN for dinner. The only place I have not tried is the Rainforest Cafe, so I may change my mind once I eat there. But I like the atmosphere at ESPN and I get to watch different Hockey games at one time.:D

The prices are decent and my kids are picky so they have a good choice of dishes.

coronamouseman
05-29-2002, 06:17 PM
My personal (emphasis on personal) choices:

(1) Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen - terrific food with a Cajun twist - great in the early evening when they have a pianist playing - downside (for larger parties or families) is that prices are very expensive

(2) La Brea Bakery/Restaurant - great moderate priced food in outdoor setting which is very close to entrance to parks - great treat for the non-cholesteral challenged is the BLT with very nearly a pound of bacon on it .......

(3) Rainforest Cafe - didn't much like it at South Coast Plaza or Ontario Mills so no reason to like it at DTD - just seems like it's trying to be "Disneyesque" but why not just go to the park next door for the real thing .......

(4) ESPN Sports Zone - very small menu for such a high-profile dining place - only is fun if there is a major sporting event going on or if there is a celebrity being interviewed (and then of course the crowds will be there)

Personally, given a choice and if the car is not buried too deep in the parking structure, we head down Ball Road to the corner of Ball and State College to El Torito for happy hour - some free food and heavily discounted drinks and certain menu items - once refreshed, we head back to hit the parks in the early evening, the best time of the day in SoCal during the Spring and Summer .......

Iceman
05-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen has become my wife's and my favorite restaurant on property! As others have mentioned the food is delicious, the service top-notch, the atmosphere nicely executed, and the wine list and specialty drink menu are both extensive.

I disagree with coronamouseman on ESPN Zone--I have enjoyed eating at every location I've visited but maybe because I go in knowing they're going to have an upscale sports bar-type menu. I love getting a rack of ribs or a steak, downing a few pints, and then hitting the games! I have to concur on the Rainforest Cafe, however...

dsnymom
05-30-2002, 06:43 AM
I hate sports bars! Don't like the choice of food or the locker room atmosphere. I was coerced into eating at ESPN Zone last year, and now I won't eat anywhere else at DTD. The food is excellent! My friend ordered the Turkey Burger and that was even delicious. So now when we go it is either breakfast at Storyteller Cafe or Hook's Pointe, and lunch or dinner at ESPN Zone.

EandCDad
05-30-2002, 07:10 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the Rainforest Cafe. The food is ok and the atmosphere is kinda fun. But my family really likes it and it does keep the kiddos occupied.

We at ESPN Zone once and the steak sandwhich was excellent and relatively inexpensive for the size and quality and the fact you are on Disney property. If you sit in the sports bar area (we had to, it was a slow day and the dining room area was closed) it is LOUD. It doesn't bother me, but something to keep in mind.

tjrj
05-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Our family of four-2 adults; 2 boys really enjoyed ESPN Zone. Food was yummy and atmosphere was fun-all sports fans in the family. They were taping Chris Connelly's show-Pardon the Interruption-I think. The games are quite fun. One thing: unless you like waiting-go at "off" times-late lunch, early dinner, etc.

We all thought the Rainforest Cafe was overpriced; food was very disappointing-but the atmosphere was fun.

La Brea Bakery-turkey and bacon sandwich-YUM

lilblckrncloud
05-30-2002, 09:52 PM
The one and only time I went to the RFC was for my bday last year and it was horrible. Despite the fact that I had reservations we still had to wait almost 30 minutes to be seated, and when we were the waitress basically wanted nothing to do with us. The food was nothing special and was brought out at all different times. It wasn't a huge party - there were seven of us - but it took about 20 minutes to get all of our entrees served. Then, we ordered the Volcano or whatever the big dessert was because I am a huge dork and wanted to yell out VOLCANO when it was being delivered. I asked the waitress if I had time to use the restroom before the Volcano arrived and she said sure. I scurried off and when I returned the Volcano was sitting there already and everyone at the table looked at me with these sad eyes. Yes, I know it's lame, but the experience was just really bad overall.

On to the positive - I have not sampled anything else in DTD because we keep returning to the Jazz Kitchen. My best friend wants to go there because she has a crush on a waiter, but I just love the atmosphere and the service. The house band that plays downstairs is really great and although the menu is somewhat limited the food is delicious.

I gotta break out of the rut and try some place different but the gumbo just keeps calling me back! :D

triciaj
05-31-2002, 08:36 PM
We just came back from Disneyland.

We also enjoyed Rainforest (had breakfast and dinner there), good value (for downtown Disney) and lots of fun.

We tried Y Arriba Y Arriba one night, and weren't very impressed, a lot of money, food was only fair and service was 'off hand'.

As Canadian, the prices are all high because of our low exchange on the dollar, but we love Disneyland, so we just keep coming back!

cheers,

coronamouseman
06-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Iceman: I enjoy ESPN at the Boardwalk in WDW - we go there every time we go to WDW. It's relatively informal and fun.

But since the thread was only about DTD, I only provided my opinion about the Anaheim location, which I think is too dark and without a feeling of open-ness.

Iceman
06-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Yeah, there is a huge difference between the ESPN Club at the Boardwalk at WDW and the ESPN Zone locations in cities around the country. The ESPN Club was one of the largest sports bars ever constructed when it opened, and there was STILL not enough room for the crowds who wanted to eat and watch games there!