PDA

View Full Version : Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour

ESS Heckler
01-09-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm going to be at the DLR this weekend for 3 days.

It's a 'grown-up' trip this time, just me and my equally Disney geeky BF. We're PAP holders, even though we're in our 40's and live in Denver.
We've never done the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour (or any tour) and were considering it this time.

Has anyone ever done it? Did you like it? Would you recommend it to others? What can we expect? I'm looking for any information or opinions I can get.

TIA

hbquikcomjamesl
01-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I've taken it every year since its inception. That should tell you something right there.

It is not a backstage tour, although it does enter a few "quasi-backstage" areas. About a year before its inception, there was an experimental backstage tour that included some fairly elaborate printed materials; it lasted no more than two weeks before being cancelled under orders from above. WDW does offer a number of backstage tours, including the ultimate tour for Disney geeks, Backstage Magic.

The Walt's Footsteps tour is a walking tour intended specifically for an audience of Disney geeks. As of July 4th, 2006, it was somewhat modified from its original concept, but included (if memory serves) a look at some of the Disney memorabilia in the Lincoln lobby, an explanation of the significance of a number of the less obvious "Windows on Main Street," a brief visit to the Main Street Cinema, and visits to a few other historically significant areas of the Park. Towards the end of the tour, the group then visits the Enchanted Tiki Room, between shows (entering through a side door that is quasi-backstage), where the assistant guide demonstrates a "retired" Tiki Room flower (in the past, it has included first choice of seats for the show). The group then visits the downstairs lobby (and ONLY the downstairs lobby) of Club 33, then goes up to the Disney Gallery (through the original entrance, from its original, never-realized purpose as a VIP apartment for the Disney family), then finishes with a catered lunch (at the Golden Horseshoe on July 4th, 2006, but in past tours, it was on the patio of the Disney Gallery).

For the first year or two of its existence, the Walt's Footsteps tour included a complete circuit of the park aboard the Disneyland Railroad's VIP business parlor car, the Lilly Belle.

The Walt's Footsteps tour has never been the same any two times I've taken it.

ESS Heckler
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Thank you SO much for all the great information.

That looks really cool. I just booked it for Sunday at 2:30.

I'm glad that I mentioned my PAP - it saved me $24 :)

wabby1
01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
I've taken the tour only once in the fall of 2002, and I must say it was worth it. A lot of facts about D/L were learned....places going unnoticed....It is definitely worth the experience for any Disney geek like myself.

Have fun!

raediance
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
sounds like fun! but i'm blocked out lol.

ESS Heckler
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I am a proud Disney Geek!

I am always looking for new DLR trivia. This should be right up our alley. Should be a fun weekend.

mel g
01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
We took the tour on Nov 26th. My hubby loves the park but does not know too much about it. I am a big Disneyland fan and have read and researched the park & Walt as much as possible. I found the tour to be quite "intro" as to Walt & Disneyland. I knew at least 80% of the stories and history shared, but it was geared toward the majority of the group, who seemed new to the park. My friend took an earlier tour that was geared towards AP's who knew the park well and she learned all kinds of new facts and had a very different tour then I did. I still loved my tour and would do it again in a second. I will book it for my next trip. However, I do think it is good for the guide to get a feel of how well everyone knows the park so that you can learn some new stories and facts about Walt and the park we all love. Still, I highly recommend this. Even the hubby, who at first did not want to take the tour, found it to be the highlight of our trip....

Mel.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-09-2007, 09:54 PM
The first or second time I took the tour (it was back when the Lilly Belle was included), I was the entire tour group. Fortunately, the guide didn't seem to mind that we were finishing each other's sentences.

lilfaeriebrat
01-10-2007, 06:11 AM
I have a question about this tour. I've mentioned it to my mom and we both think it would be a great thing to do. When ever we go to the park we take my grandma with us, since she is the reason we all got passes this year. My grandma is as much a disney geek as the rest of us and I think she would enjoy this tour as well. My question is this, does anyone know if the tour accomidates handicap guests? My grandma goes through the park on her ECV and wouldn't be able to do it any other way. She does transfer out for rides but that's about it.

disneyhound
01-10-2007, 07:23 AM
...The Walt's Footsteps tour is a walking tour intended specifically for an audience of Disney geeks. As of July 4th, 2006, it was somewhat modified from its original concept, but included (if memory serves) a look at some of the Disney memorabilia in the Lincoln lobby, an explanation of the significance of a number of the less obvious "Windows on Main Street," a brief visit to the Main Street Cinema, and visits to a few other historically significant areas of the Park. Towards the end of the tour, the group then visits the Enchanted Tiki Room, between shows (entering through a side door that is quasi-backstage), where the assistant guide demonstrates a "retired" Tiki Room flower (in the past, it has included first choice of seats for the show). The group then visits the downstairs lobby (and ONLY the downstairs lobby) of Club 33, then goes up to the Disney Gallery (through the original entrance, from its original, never-realized purpose as a VIP apartment for the Disney family), then finishes with a catered lunch (at the Golden Horseshoe on July 4th, 2006, but in past tours, it was on the patio of the Disney Gallery)...

Thanks for posting your tour review! My daughter and I will be taking this tour during our upcoming DL vacation! We took the 50th tour last year and really enjoyed it!

hbquikcomjamesl
01-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I believe there's a CM elevator that can be used to get handicapped guests in and out of the Gallery.

Mark Mywords
01-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I believe there's a CM elevator that can be used to get handicapped guests in and out of the Gallery.

There is. It's accessible off of the Courtyard of the Angels. It goes up to the club 33 kitchen and then you transfer over to the gallery using a shared hallway.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
If I remember right, there was somebody in my tour group who actually needed to use it, one year.

SteveK
01-10-2007, 02:15 PM
My wife and I took the tour for my birthday in December and really enjoyed it. If you know alot about Disneyland, you probably won't learn alot of new stuff but it is a unique way to see the park, taking your time and looking at the details.

Our tour guide was this very cute young 21 year old (Erin) and we were her last tour as she was leaving DL after 3 years of employment. Anyways, anytime she would ask a question I would usually know the answer and I had to force myself not to answer (even though my wife kept hitting me in the ribs so I would answer). By the end, Erin would ask a question and just look at me to see if I was going to answer.

The tour ended and we had a very enjoyable lunch in the Disney Gallery patio.

Overall, it was totally worth it and enjoyable.

-Steve

jsilkey
01-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Can anyone tell me about how far in advance you need to book? Does it sell out?

We are buying a package (now) and then converting to AP's when we get to the park (Oct/Nov).

I was going to buy the tour and get the AAA discount, but it sounds like the AP discount is better.

It will be a slow time of year, but I really want to make sure we get to do this tour, so I don't want to take a chance if it sells out.

One more question...should we take our 5 year old on the tour or leave him with friends?

Any info is much appreciated~~

jsilkey
01-31-2007, 10:18 PM
One more thing...countdown is getting closer, but still not right...any thoughts?

Malcon10t
02-01-2007, 05:20 AM
One more question...should we take our 5 year old on the tour or leave him with friends?

Any info is much appreciated~~I would leave him with friends. He will get bored and it would not be worth the extra $50 for him. Book it as soon as you know when you want to do it. You have to show the AP when you pick up tix.