PDA

View Full Version : When is California Spring Break?

horsemom
01-09-2007, 09:18 AM
All of the rooms are booked for the third weekend in march is this spring break? Would this be a very busy time to come?

MammaSilva
01-09-2007, 09:25 AM
It's not spring break, but there must be some convention in town because the rates were very "spring break" rates as opposed to 'off season'.

Darkbeer
01-09-2007, 09:26 AM
All of the rooms are booked for the third weekend in march is this spring break? Would this be a very busy time to come?

Yes, Disney is planning on 5 weeks of large crowds due to Easter/Spring break. (many schools have switched to taking a week off in March instead of around Easter Sunday).

They start to expand hours on March 9th, with three weeks of Disneyland closing at 11 PM instead of 8 PM on weekdays.

Then the first two weeks of April has Midnight closings.

Disney expects large crowds all 5 weeks.

PhiSigDuchessCV
01-09-2007, 10:03 AM
HI There,

Due to a combination of political correctness (not having an "Easter" Break, only Spring break) and communities complaining that Spring Breakers were causing havoc all at once many school districts, colleges, and universities now have different weeks off. For Universities it also depends on whether they are quarter or semester and when their term started as to when they give students off. My campus always ties Spring Break in to coincide with the Cesar Chavez holiday on March 31. The other CSUs in Los Angeles near us all have differing weeks for when they give their students off.

That has caused the "spring break" crowds to swell for a few weeks time at major tourist spots rather then during a 1 or 2 week time instead. Essentially march and April are now considered Spring Break months

Carolyn

julw
01-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I'm in CA and our spring break is March 12-23rd. But, my sister's kids (also in CA- just different area) are April 2nd-16th. So it varies alot. We have a trip booked for the 11th-16th and we had a hard time finding rooms (at the rate we wanted to pay) also.

Another thing that I know is going on during that time is 2 different cheerleading conventions. That is also what is cuasing the hotels to be full/higher prices.

We just don't want the headache of taking our kids out of school, so we will put up with the crowds.:crying:

Good luck!

CariBelle
01-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmm, would this mean that the second half of April will be less crowded? We were planning a large family trip in March (second half) but if those weeks are going to be crowded we might reconsider.

adriennek
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
In the 4-track year-round school systems, the most popular track - or calendar- is the one that has the entire month of April off. The second most popular is the track that has the entire month of March off.

This question comes up frequently and the answer is that there is no easy answer. As others have said, between University calendars, year-round schools, private schools and various public school systems, there seems to be more of a "Spring Break Season" than a specific break.

And this isn't entirely new. When I was at a UC school almost twenty years ago, (where's the crying like mad emoticon?) our break was 11 weeks after winter break ended, no matter when Easter was.

Adrienne

DisneyLynn
01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Hmm, would this mean that the second half of April will be less crowded? We were planning a large family trip in March (second half) but if those weeks are going to be crowded we might reconsider.

Second half of April is generally less crowded than second half of March. A lot of the schools in Oregon and Washington have spring break those last 2 weeks in March, we moved to CA from Oregon 5 years ago and every year someone from Oregon or Washington comes to visit the end of March during their Spring Break.

I just looked at the Cheerleading Competition schedule and it's basically every weekend in March, I was there last Feb. when one of the cheerleading finals was going on and the park was PACKED!

Courtney Anne
01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
AZ - well - Phoenix area has Spring Break during the weeks of March 12 and March 23

In fact, the school I work at has it the Week of March 12 along with my college... BUT my son's school has it March 19 !!! LUCKY ME - HUH ???

capst
01-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Here is a previous thread that has some specific dates for different school districts:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=59634

Wendi
01-10-2007, 10:08 AM
April 9-13 here.