PDA

View Full Version : One day by myself...

SarahJanet
01-08-2007, 10:51 PM
What should I do? My husband is coming one day later and my best friend and her husband two days later, so I have one day to myself at the parks! At first I was kind of bummed (plans changed somewhat), but now I'm quite excited at all the things I could do that nobody else is nerdy enough to want to do. Like stake out the best fireworks spot, or go in EVERY single shop, or whatever. The others like Disneyland, but not as much as me.

What should I do? What secret fun things should I see? Where should I eat? Anyone want to have dinner with me? (Tuesday, April 3.)

I've been twice before in the last four years, so I'm pretty familiar with the parks, but I'm trying to think of what the best things to do by myself will be that are less fast or less convenient with others, or too nerdy for them.

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Three words: SINGLE RIDER LINE

DisneyLynn
01-08-2007, 10:56 PM
If I had a day to myself, one thing I would definitely do is go see the Alladin show in DCA, I love the show, but when you're with a big group it's harder to get good seats together.

Opus1guy
01-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Going by yourself can be just as fun as going with others. It'll just be a new and wonderful and different experience for you. You'll find you can do more things you are interested in...more spontaneous things...more unusual things...just more things in general...than when you are with others and have to be concerned about their desires and dining wishes and bathroom breaks, etc, etc, etc.

You'll be back with them soon enough. But for the short time you'll be flying solo..........ENJOY!

:)

june1st1997
01-09-2007, 05:44 AM
This sounds like such fun... Each time I read about someone going solo... it makes we want to try it.

If I were going alone... I would take a book to read in line.

I would go into EVERY SHOP. I would have a nice meal either at BB or Cafe Orleans.

I would finally watch a parade. I think your idea to get a good spot for fireworks is a winner.

I would ride Space Mountain / Calif. Screamin' as many times as I wanted.

I have had some time alone in the park... Dh had to do some work... And even that short time (90 minutes) felt very different. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Gone2Disneyland
01-09-2007, 06:43 AM
I've gone solo plenty of times. I would suggest two simple things:

1. Get in early and have breakfast, either at the Carnation Cafe which has table service, or the River Belle Terrace which offers a patio view of the Rivers of America, New Orleans Square and Tom Sawyer Island. If you like, bring a book, a magazine or an mp3 player. But just enjoy the experience of having an early morning breakfast inside Disneyland.

2. Don't make any other plans. Just meander through the park like it's your first time, which it kinda sorta is in a way ;) . When I go solo, it's about taking my time, relaxing, people watching, shopping, looking for things to take pictures of, maybe take in a ride, or watch the Tiki Room but maybe noticing the kids young and old who've never been there before. No rush. The park's all yours.

3. Okay, three things, because I just thought of this. Do as you say and stake out a great place to view the fireworks. I always did this, and since then, I've always been my group's "pro" on when's the best time to stake out and save the best spot. It's geeky and fun.

Enjoy your solo trip. I'm sure you'll have fun telling your husband and friends all about it when they finally join you. :)

ESS Heckler
01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I love going to DLR by myself - not every time, mind you, but once in a while it's great fun.

Geeky Things
1) The Disney Gallery - Take your time
2) Tour the Fire House - nobody else ever wants to do that.
3) See if you can find the door to Club 33
4) General Store - listen in on the 'old phones'
5) Outside the lockers - listen for the folks who 'live upstairs'

Fun Things -
Go to the Cove Bar at sunset(above Ariel's in DCA) (ignore the line - those folks are waiting for the restaraunt downstairs) Go in and find a table facing the water, order a Malibu Sunset and an appetizer and watch the lights come on in the Pier area.

Buy a couple of pins and look for kids to give them to - just smile and then leave. A very fun random act of kindness. I usually look for a single mom struggling with a couple of kids, or a kid who is obviously not having a very good time at the Happiest Place on Earth.

You'll be surprised at how much fun you're going to have.

Donald Duck Fan68
01-09-2007, 08:44 AM
A lot depends on what you like to do when you're in the park. When I went solo, I was able to ride all the rides I wanted as many times as I wanted without worrying that I was missing something. In DCA, I took advantage of the single rider lines and used fast pass for any ride that didn't offer singles. In Disneyland, only Splash offers a single rider line, so I used fast pass for most of the rides I wanted.

Bring a camera and take a lot of scenery shots or candid shots. Ride something or go to an attraction/show that you've never been on (there must be at least one thing that fits into this category). Or visit a store you never noticed before. Take the time to stop and soak in the atmosphere, especially when the spontaneous entertainment occurs in a land you may be in.

SarahJanet
01-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks, everyone! I'm actually pretty excited. I think a full solo trip would be less exciting, but because it's one day and then I have four more days with the others, I can just pick what I want to do that day and still have the rest of the trip with them!

I LOVE the idea of buying pins to give to kids. I might think of a few things like that - random acts of kindness while I'm by myself!

ESS Heckler
01-09-2007, 09:21 AM
That's the best part about going to Disneyland - helping to spread the magic.

Niwel
01-09-2007, 01:28 PM
And check out MP's article on Going Solo at Disneyland (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=tp060829sl)

frank828
01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
DCA: Corndog (or hotlink...good too, recommended by someone i was in line with) with wine

DL: I always get some dessert, i miss the chocolate fudge cake from the river belle. They only have the chocolate mouse cake which i dont like very much(however i did order one again last time i went). The strawberry shortcake is also very good.

missmonkey
01-09-2007, 04:42 PM
See the shows!

I like to watch the the DL marching band play. It's something no one but me wants to do when I go with a group. Buy a hot chocolate and have a seat on one of the benches at the flagpole on Main Street to watch the flag-lowering ceremony. Check your daily schedule for the time; I think it's at 4:30pm.

If you've never seen the Jedi Training Academy, please go. The kids are hilarious and the two Jedi masters I've seen do the show are pretty hot! ;) Hee!

chernabog664
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Animation Academy... and do it a couple of times to get different characters.

mousemom
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I would enjoy taking pictures of all those Disney things and moments that pass me by when I have 3 plus kids to keep track of. Soak in the whole experience and do the short lines as many times in a row as I want because no one is waiting for me to get off!

emmah
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm on my way to a solo trip to DL as we speak! Meeting up with lots of family and friends for skiing in a few days so really looking forward to this time on my own. one of the best things about going on your own is how you don't have to stake out a good spot for the fireworks or fantasmic hours in advance - one little person can squeeze in just about anywere without being noticed. and you can do all the rides you like and not bother with the ones you don't, and I find I am much more aware of what is going on because no one is distracting me. also, I can eat when I choose, what I choose, where I choose, and it takes a fraction of the time (or hours if I am in the mood) that it does with a group. You'll find that lots of people are friendly and willing to share your excitement when you want someone to talk to... I love time on my own - and I hope you find your solo time in DL just as invigorating!:)

ScottDisneyFan
01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
When I lived in So Cal and had my PAP I loved going alone all the time. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want...watch whatever shows you want...take whatever tours you want...it is great!

SarahJanet
01-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks, everyone! That article was especially helpful, and now I'm really excited! Fantasmic will be closed (sigh) but I'm definitely going to get a good spot for the fireworks.

I was really tempted to have a fancy breakfast in the park, but then I remembered I won't get there until about 1. Oh well.

I promised my husband I'd save Space Mountain for him (he's been once in the last two years, and my best friend and I have been twice in the last four, and none of us have been on Space Mountain in all those trips! I rode it once in high school, and my best friend has never been on it, so that'll be fun.), but other than that I think it's a free for all on the rides. Except that Splash is closed, which sucks because it has the best Single Rider's Line ever!

Now to decide if I want to do California Adventures as well. Hmm...I suspect I won't do Tower of Terror by myself, but I'll probably do a few of the others.

Whee!

Bytebear
01-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Don't forget Grizzly River Run, Soarin' and Screamin' have single rider lines too!

mousemom
01-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't remind me! Now I really want to be there!! Going solo has great benefits!

Michael4Yensid
01-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I have done it about two times. I do miss not having my wife and daughter with me. But it gives me time to realy look at things. Talk to Cast Members. And most of all to think that Walt Disney stood in this place.

I Heart Disneyland!
01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
SHOP!!!!!!!!!! When I'm there alone, without my hubby, I enjoy shopping!!!
Have a great time!!!!!!

jonesin4Dland
01-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I'll be in DL for a 5 day solo trip starting on the 26th! These are all great suggestions. I'm planning on bringing my walking shoes and camera, so I'll be covering a lot of ground and taking lots of pictures. Spontaneity is a good thing, so we'll see where my feet take me!