PDA

View Full Version : Best place to shop away from resort (malls etc.)

mommy-san
01-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Ok, so I've looked at all the Anaheim area mall websites but am having problems deciding where to spend my one shopping day.
Here is my criteria:
1. Must get to a GOOD Target store.
2. Must eat dozens of warm Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
3. Kids clothing stores would be nice.

We have 2 girls, 2 & 6, so toy stores would be good too. We are driving that day, but are completely unfamiliar with the area, so easy access and short distances are good.
If we go to the character warehouse, we also can do Target. But then where should we go?

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Your best bet is the Block at Orange. It has a Krispy Kreme, and a fairly good mall with lots of shops. (http://www.theblockatorange.com)

if you want to go a bit further, take the 5 freeway south, and exit Irvine Blvd. You can't miss the Irvine Spectrum, which has a Target, and just about anything else you want (but no Krispy Kreme). Just look for the huge Ferris Wheel. There are other Target's closer, but this will be the nicest and in a nice mall.(http://www.shopirvinespectrumcenter.com/)

cynthia312
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes I was thinking of The Block in Orange as well. Lots of shops for both adults and children. A lot of apparel for both genders too....not too sure about toy stores though. Didn't really pay attention to that but your safe bet for "shopping" IS The Block. In the end...if you still really wanna visit a toy store World of Disney at the Downtown Disney District is fantastic!!! Actually shopping at the DTD district isn't a bad idea either!!! have funn!!! =P

-cynthia

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
The closest Target store is just a few blocks south on Harbor from the park. It's huge! The Block of Orange is close and fun to shop at. The Irvine Spectrum is like a theme park in and of itself some days. There's a merry-go-round (they call it a carousel, but I won't get into that now), ferris wheel, (the ice skating rink is down now, i think), and tons of places to spash and play in the water if it gets too warm. The toy stores at the Spectrum are a bit pricey for my kids, but with the Target right there, it's not so bad. There aren't many toy stores at the Block, so really it's only convenient for the Krispy Kreme. Also, there's the Village at Orange (formerly The Orange Mall) with a small selection of shops, but there is a Target across the street from there. It's a bit further than the Block, but not as far as the Spectrum. To round out the list of worthy malls, MainPlace Santa Ana is another close mall. Disney Store, big department stores, and a dollar theater are the main pulls to that mall. There's also a California Welcome Center at MainPlace where you can find helpful people to answer any of you SoCal questions.

I think that about covers it.
Liz :cool:

pisces
01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
South Coast Plaza

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Oh, I want to mention the traffic circle at Orange. If you have time go to the old drugstore with a real life old fashioned soda jerk. There are tons of antique stores where I see a lot of old Disney memorabilia. There are even some interesting restaurants. One is in an old church (don't remember the name). Old Town Orange is really a slice of history. PS. If you watch Ghost Whisperer, the town square is themed after it (and was originally filmed there).

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh! The drugstore you're talking about is Watson's! We were going to go there for lunch yesterday, after church but decided it was too busy. On the weekends it can get super crowded, even more than any Disney park! But the food is good, the atmosphere is fantastic, and there's plenty to see in the area. The Orange Circle is a historical site. "That Thing You Do" was filmed there, as was an episode of "The West Wing" a couple years back. There seems to be a film crew there about once every few months or so. My fave places there: Watson's Drug Store, Jalapenos Authentic Mexican Food, the new bagel shop whose name escapes me at the moment, and of course... Starbucks! (Why isn't there a 'Bucks in DLR yet?)! During Labor Day weekend, you won't want to be there just to look. The International Street Faire that weekend fills the streets. During the day it's okay for kids and families, but by sunset you want to be out of there because the drunk college kids will be out in full force.

DizneyMommy
01-08-2007, 11:48 AM
MainPlace is awesome, they have a great little kids play area with rubber floorind and benches for mom and dad. Great place to let the kids run off some energy when shopping gets too boring, my 2 year old loves it. They have great food there as well as lots of good kids clothing shopping and good family restroom facilities. And it is super convenient for you, just hop on the 5 south and it's just a couple of exits down, visible from the freeway.

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
DizneyMommy, I totally forgot about the Family restroom at MainPlace (in the food court between Sbarro's and Gloria Jean's Coffee)! It's my second fave "public" place to nurse and tend to my babies (the first being the Baby Care Center in DLP). Nice place for some down time too, there's a tv in there showing the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, or Cartoon Network's Boomerang. Plus toys and books.

mckygirl99
01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
DizneyMommy, I totally forgot about the Family restroom at MainPlace (in the food court between Sbarro's and Gloria Jean's Coffee)! It's my second fave "public" place to nurse and tend to my babies (the first being the Baby Care Center in DLP). Nice place for some down time too, there's a tv in there showing the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, or Cartoon Network's Boomerang. Plus toys and books.

Love that bathroom! 2 toilets & 2 sinks.

The Block is great! I just spent about 4 hours at Burke Williams today but remember to leave before sunset, not for the drunk college kids but for the gangs. My brother-in-law is a deputy sheriff and works the county jail which is across the street and forbids my sister and I to go there after dark! I have lots of friends and family in law enforcement so I have heard all the stories. Better to go to the Spectrum if you are planning a night visit (especially with kids!)

bathtubs
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh Thanks for that shopping place! I think we will have to check that out as well. One more question . . . outlets? where are the best ones?

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
The only one I can think of is the Citadel, but it's too far away and crappy. The South Coast Plaza has a Norstrom Rack.

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
South Coast Plaza would be my last resort. Most of the shops there carry higher priced merchandise and cater to higher income levels and those without small children in tow. Or at least that's always been my impression. true there's a Disney Store and a small carousel and other "kid favorites". Generally speaking, whatever you're going to need while in SoCal, you can find at the other malls and shopping centers previously mentioned which are closer and therefore more convenient to DLR.

pisces
01-08-2007, 07:15 PM
South Coast Plaza would be my last resort. Most of the shops there carry higher priced merchandise and cater to higher income levels and those without small children in tow.

That's not true at all. Are you kidding? There's a Sears, which I think is the closest Sears to Disneyland. And South Coast Plaza has more kids' specialty stores than anywhere else There's Gymboree, Gap Kids, Pottery Barn Kids, Talbots Kids....

....plus an absolutely fabulous Toy Store you won't find anywhere else....."Puzzle Zoo", and much much more. The Carousel alone is worth the trip. South Coast Plaza is one of the largest and most popular malls in the Country.

I'll take South Coast Plaza any day over "The Block".

South Coast Plaza rules!

pisces
01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Also, there's a special Shuttle from The Grand Californian to South Coast Plaza and back---although that may have just been a holiday thing, I don't know.

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 08:11 PM
The closest Sears to the Resort is at the Village at Orange. MainPlace has Gap Kids, Limited Too, Gymboree, and Children's Place. The Village also has Old Navy, JC Penny, and Ross. The ten horse mockery of a carousel is nothing compared to the King Arthur's Carousel sized merry-go-round at the Spectrum. Anyway, the OP wanted something close and SCP the furthest from the parks of all the presented options.

Micmarie
01-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Could someone tell me why the Citadel is not very good? Also is there much at th Anaheim Market Place if a person doesn't have much time? I understand they have free shuttle service, what exactly is this place? :confused:

DizneyMommy
01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
The ten horse mockery of a carousel is nothing compared to the King Arthur's Carousel sized merry-go-round at the Spectrum. Anyway, the OP wanted something close and SCP the furthest from the parks of all the presented options.

I agree that SCP is the farthest away, and is largely a higher-end expensive boutiquey type mall, but are you sure you're not thinking of the carousel in the Macy's Home Wing across the street (formerly called Crystal Court)? That one is pretty small and cheesy, but the carousel in the main wing of SCP is an awesome carousel, and has way more than 10 horses. At Xmas they always change the horses to reindeer which is really neat. I have been riding that carousel for over 20 years, and though it may not be nearly as big as the one at DL (which would be too big in the middle of the mall anyways), it is still a GREAT carousel with many years of great history. :)