PDA

View Full Version : More advice needed!

Pages : [1] 2

Micmarie
01-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Still planning! What is the best way to carry your stuff around the park such as camera etc. What should I not bother to take to the park and does anyone have suggestions of what they didn't take that they wish they would of had and what they took and didn't need? What do you do with your backpack or whatever when you go on rides? I've heard there are lockers, how conveinent are they? Our hotel is just across the street. So far you all are making my planning so much easier thanks:)

pisces
01-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Your backpack goes on the ride with you.

Pack: Extra shoes and socks. Tissues. Earplugs. Hand Sanitizer.

LibertyCall
01-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Will you have kids with you? What are their ages?

MouseWife
01-08-2007, 07:05 AM
If the shoes are for the water rides, perhaps if you can find watershoes? That would be great for Splash and the water ride in DCA {forget the exact name}. The raft ride in DCA does have lockers by the ride and I believe they are free. Not advertised well. When I was going on the ride one time and worried about my things the CM didn't offer it up to me. Someone else told me after.

I second tissue.

Tic Tacs, gum to freshen your mouth. Chapstick. Headache medicine. Sunglasses. A hat. An extra shirt or a light jacket.

Well, when are you going? That makes a difference. And, it isn't a problem to have the backpack with you. I carry one. I just have to make sure I zip up the compartments. You could have someone in your party check it for you when you're done. I always do. Better safe than sorry.

And, have fun. :)

Micmarie
01-08-2007, 07:14 AM
My 3 girls are 16,13 and 8. We are going to be there Feb3-16.I understand we may hit rainy days. What about temp? Will it be too cold for sandles or capris?

pisces
01-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Vitamins

vfire
01-08-2007, 07:26 AM
The temperature dips at nightfall so the key is to layer. The daytime may be quite warm with only a t-shirt being necessary, but later a hooded sweatshirt will come in handy since most heat escapes through one's head. There are not many things worse than not being able to enjoy oneself at DLR because one is shivering. Carrying a backpack on the rides is not a problem. I always bring juice and/or water, you'll dehydrate from walking around and need a drink from time to time, plus it saves money and, perhaps even more importantly during peak days, saves time from having to wait on lines just to get a drink. I also bring some snacks to keep me going to also save time and money. Tissues and sanitizers are good, especially since you're with kids. Shoes are kind of heavy to lug around so perhaps a pair of flip-flops for the water rides are enough. But certainly make sure you're wearing comfortable sneakers to walk around in because you'll be doing a lot of walking. If the forecast says rain, bring along a small umbrella.

MouseWife
01-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Oh, vfires comment about comfortable shoes reminded me of something we try to do.

Either have or get those really good walking shoes. {we all wear Nikes but that isn't an endorsement:D }. Start walking now. You'll eventually get to Disneyland.

Kidding!

We would 'train' for our vacations. Especially if you are going to be there for a while. If you are not normally 'walkers' it may wear you down and bum out your trip.

We would do laps at the school or walk at the park {a 3 mile trip}. You have to realize you will be putting in a lot of miles at the park. You won't realize it {and maybe you don't want to hear how much while you are doing it, it may make you feel more tired} but you will rack up the miles.

But, if you don't have the shoes for everyone, get them now and start wearing them in gradually. Nothing worse than finding out a shoe doesn't feel right or get blisters from an ill fitting shoe.

And, for the kids, a disposable camera for them might be a fun way to see the parks through their eyes. Of course, who will carry them...

Are fanny packs out these days? How about a small backpack for each of them? To carry their own things. Even the 8 year old could carry a small one. Or you could be in charge of her things. And, to save trouble, I change what I have in my pack each time I go back to the park. If I won't be riding the water rides, I don't bring my water gear. At night, when I go back in, I don't normally carry my pack. I am at that time, wearing my warm clothes, a jacket. I put my wallet in my pocket or in a safe jacket pocket. If I chose to take a camera, I make sure it can be in a pocket or a case with a strap so my hands are free.

I still take tissue and chapstick. By this time, you shouldn't need everything anymore and you can put off shopping until you are leaving {I mean, what you haven't done already} to carry out with you.

DizneyMommy
01-08-2007, 08:09 AM
If you decide to rent a locker, they are a little pricey. We did it once out of necessity, and shared it with a group. We got a mid-sized one (just fit a large stuffed full backpack) and it cost $8 for the whole day and then it prints you a little ticket with a password on it that you use to open the door. You can get back in it over and over all day long without paying any more money. If your hotel is only across the street, and you are trying to stick to a budget, I would think taking a hotel break to re-pack around sunset would be your best option.
Jansport makes really good little mini-backpacks which we sometimes use instead of the diaper bag when we are packing light. They would be the perfect size for your 8 year old, and fits just enough stuff for the day. I have seen them at REI and at Sport Chalet. I treated ours with waterproofing spray and it stays pretty dry inside in the rain (though I still seal up the camera in a ziplock bag if it's raining)

Another thing you might pack, Dr Scholl's makes these little blister pads that are awesome. They come in a little square blue plastic box and are usually near the bandaids (I get mine at Target or Walgreens). They are oval and large enough to cover the part of your heel that always blisters when you walk in new shoes. They have saved me many times, even in broken-in shoes!

Walrus & Carpenter
01-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I always take one backpack with some sunblock, bottled water, sunglasses, and a camera. You really don't want to over-pack, because you really will get tired of carrying it around all day long.

Donald Duck Fan68
01-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I wished I had a bigger memory card for my digital camera. There were many times when my card was full, but I wasn't going back to the hotel anytime soon to download the pics, so I missed out on some good photo opportunities. Also, I should have been carrying my extra memory card, even though it was rather small, but it would have helped.

I also usually had a couple of juices (like Capri Suns) and small snack items for the times when my kids suddenly got hungry or thirsty in line but we weren't about to leave the line to get something to eat.

hlbtimes2
01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Vitamins

Wouldnt it be easier to just take those at the hotel rather then pack them around the park all day?

disneyhound
01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
...We are going to be there Feb3-16. I understand we may hit rainy days...

We take our annual 4-5 day DL vacation in Jan-Feb, this January will be our 7th year in a row!! We can still count the number of rainy days on one hand! We always go to the Dollar Store and buy some of those rain poncos! Two for a buck, and they are very compact before you open them... We usually pack at least two for each of us, they rip easier than the ones you buy at the park, but for 50 cents, what can you expect! To date, we only used the ponchos once for rain. We are from the Pacific Northwest, 100" of rain a year is normal! :p

hlbtimes2
01-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Sandles and capri's might be ok during the day, but evenings in Feb, you'll want long pants, real shoes, socks, and warm jackets. Plan to dress in layers. You'll need more in the morning and evenings then you will mid day. We try to take as little as possible, even with our young kids (4 and 8). I use a small camera case and put what I can in it- money, chap stick, credit card/ id, and any tickets and vouchers we'll be using. If we wear jackets I bring a bag that we can put them in if we take them off later. We always plan a mid day break to return things to the hotel, change clothes/ shoes, etc.

Bolivar
01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
This is why I always stay at a hotel right across the street. I carry nothing and if I need something I run back to the hotel.

disneyhound
01-08-2007, 09:57 AM
We also bring along some of this: http://www.johnsonsfootsoap.com/

Nothing like soaking your tootsies after pounding pavement for 10-12 hours!

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Jackets are a must for the evening. Don't overpack or your backpack will start to feel like a lead weight. They will let you bring in bottled water so take advantage of it. You can refill the bottles at drinking fountains too. Bring in a few granola bars for when you get the munchies and the food lines are thick. Park yourself on a bench when you are tired, or go see one of the sit down shows like Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Tiki Room, Opera House, or It's Tough to be a Bug. Only do those attractions when you are tired, or when the lines are too long as they have no wait.

MouseWife
01-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh yes, the backpack gets heavy. That is why I like to put things in it that are consumable.

Even if I end up carrying the water for everyone until they get thirsty, at least it does get lighter when they take it.

I carry fruit and that gets eaten as other things.

I put Tylenol in a ziplock as well as if I have to carry liqiud meds for the kids, I carry an older one that isn't as full {not as heavy}.

Batteries. Extra batteries. Those cameras burn them out quickly.

It sure does sound like a lot but if you pick and choose carefully {you don't need make up, just a comb and maybe a lipstick if you don't do chapstick} and it is impossible you'll need more than a couple of aspirin at a time.

I think the vitamin comment was a joke~meaning it will be a big adventure with the 3 girls and she will need her energy!!

{oh, but, I would take the vitamins with me and make the kids eat them with their breakfast....}

Micmarie
01-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I've ended up with a terrible case of the giggles over the whole vitamin thing, a good stress buster. With taking good quality pics what size of memory cards have some of some of you used ?(I tend to be a picture freak)

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
You should be fine with a 512M card per day (maybe even a 256), assuming you don't have a super hi-rez camera and don't take 40 pictures of every lamppost. I dump my card to my lap top at the end of the day and reuse the same card every day. Better to get a bigger card and edit and delete the unwanted pictured later than running out of space and having to choose on the spot what to drop.

yohomama212
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I understand you girls are much older than my kids, but having gone three days last week, I think I've finally gotten my DL gear whittled down to the "basics". So this is a general list, take what you need from this list (obviously, you won't need the diapers)!

Diaper bag:
Full change of clothes for each child (down to the underwear and socks)
Pajamas for each child (the clothes and the jammies are packed in individual gallon size Ziploc bags to keep any spills out and help keep them compact)
about 5 diapers for DD
wipes
diper cream (you don't get as many chances to change babies when you're in the park, so a rash is far more likely)
snacks (anything non-perishable that your kids will eat works)
at least 2 bottles of water
little toys, handheld games, deck of cards, anything to keep the kids occupied during long waits or down times (I stock up from the Dollar Stores and the dollar spot at Target, I don't let the kids play with it before hand to keep it new and exciting as long as possible. Some things I often get in doubles so they don't have to share.)
A small first aid kit (I know there's a whole first aid station at each park. But I am First Aid and CPR certified and it will help more to have a bandaid on hand when I need it then drag the whole group for a small scratch and an hours worth of forms. I found a great little kit in the travel toiletries section of Target for a couple bucks.)
Sunscreen
Tylenol - headaches, cramps, fevers, pains, all come up at any time.

Disneyland Bag (so far just a shopping bag from the park, but DH found a little bag that might work):
Our hats - the kids and i got the pirate ear hats with our names embroidered on them, we'll get something with a brim for the spring and summer months.
Our pin lanyards - we bought the pouches to clip to them so we can keep our passes with the pins.
Autograph books with pens
Blankets - we got these great fleece blankets when we got our passes, they have a pocket that the blanket folds up into to make a pillow and a great compact size.
DL ponchos - after being unexpectedly rained on Wednesday night, we take them with us now. our two adult and two child ponchos fold up nicely into a one gallon Ziploc bag.
Camera - I dump the images from my 128mb memory card every night after we get home from the park, weather I've taken two pictures or filled the 130 spaces.

During the late spring and when I can get in during the summer, I plan on taking a pair of water shoes for each kid, I know there are a few places for the kids to just play in the water at DCA and they will love this. I'll take the ponchos out of the bag at this time.

Like I said, this is specific to me and mine. What you need to take will vary greatly.

Liz :cool:

hlbtimes2
01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
YOu can always get bandaids and headache meds at the first aid station, so not a lot of need to carry those with you.

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Unless your kids like playing in the water fountains, I would say don't bother with a full change of clothes. You will get wet on some of the rides, but unless you get soaked and it's freezing outside, you shouldn't need to worry too much there. Better to get a poncho, and maybe a pair of socks. If worse comes to worse, you can always buy a t-shirt (which you probably would anyway).

Micmarie
01-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I'd love to take a laptop, has anyone had any issues with security checks at the airports?

Bytebear
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I take my laptop everywhere. You have to take it out of the case and run it through the x-ray machine separately. Sometimes they ask to turn on electronics, but I haven't been asked that in a couple years, so you should be good to go.

Once I was specially chosen, and they took mylap and had a special machine where they swabbed it with acne pads (well thats what they looked like), I guess checking for explosive residue or something. It wasn't too bad an inconvenience.